1.6 Update What happened in your game today?

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
Congrats!

I would, however, humbly suggest that you start by replicating jade to trade for staircases. That would get you farther along to making a second crystallarium, and then you can have MORE infinitely reproducing gemstones.
Thanks! I'll try to remember not to sell the jade I've found. Tonight I was able to raise enough iridium (mostly from omnigeodes -- when I maxed out mining I chose the ability to double my geoode-finding) to fix the boat, so I'm looking forward to seeing what that opens up. Also did the mission for the wizard in the sewers and met Krobus, who I have heard so much about. I also gave Grandpa a diamond and got my fifth candle lit, so huzzah for that. Oh, and I hit 2 million total earned on Fall 15. 1 million total earned on Spring 3, so it's been a heck of a year. The greenhouse has really helped keep a steady income coming, and I'm building a cellar now to see how that increases wine and cheese revenue. I think I may knock out my timber island and build a shed there and then concentrate kegs and such....oh, and I got the alien landing. The capsule is near my wine, so they have good taste. I have the Galaxy sword, though it's not as OP as I expected. Still having to whack away repeatedly at the purple slimes and flying green things. Got to level 32 on a good luck day, which made that Qui fellow happy.

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
I made my grand entrance to Ginger Island last night and am a little confused as to what the fuss is all about, probably because I haven't opened up much. It appears I have to bribe the birds with the walnuts I keep fishing up? Will explore further now that it's winter. Penny has announced that we're expecting a baby soon, so that will be interesting. I also fished in the sewers and in the witch's habitat, but didn't find anything but algae. I have my cellar full of wine and cheese -- I used the first two rows for wine, and the third row for cheese -- fermenting. The cheese is already at silver quality, but I'm going to let them both ride for a while. It's not as though I have an income problem, what with the greenhouse and all the animals. I've gotten my chests more or less in order: I have a "Farming" chest, which is seeds, tools, and fertilizer; a Geology chest, which is any ores, minerals, or bars; a Fruit chest for holding fruit prior to preserves/wines; two clothes chests inside the house; a "special" chest used for holding items that will be used at a specific time (like the grange display, or bday gifts); and then one that's more miscellaneous, with everything from clay to a Christmas tree. Plugging away at the caves but I've not beaten my record yet.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I made my grand entrance to Ginger Island last night and am a little confused as to what the fuss is all about, probably because I haven't opened up much. It appears I have to bribe the birds with the walnuts I keep fishing up? Will explore further now that it's winter. Penny has announced that we're expecting a baby soon, so that will be interesting. I also fished in the sewers and in the witch's habitat, but didn't find anything but algae. I have my cellar full of wine and cheese -- I used the first two rows for wine, and the third row for cheese -- fermenting. The cheese is already at silver quality, but I'm going to let them both ride for a while. It's not as though I have an income problem, what with the greenhouse and all the animals. I've gotten my chests more or less in order: I have a "Farming" chest, which is seeds, tools, and fertilizer; a Geology chest, which is any ores, minerals, or bars; a Fruit chest for holding fruit prior to preserves/wines; two clothes chests inside the house; a "special" chest used for holding items that will be used at a specific time (like the grange display, or bday gifts); and then one that's more miscellaneous, with everything from clay to a Christmas tree. Plugging away at the caves but I've not beaten my record yet.
Yay, have fun exploring the island. Oh, did you know that you can put clothes, boots, and rings into a dresser? It can hold any amount!

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
Still working on winter, year 3. I may get to a million in reserves before the end of the year, or very close. Right now I'm hitting the caves or skull caverns every day -- one for stone, iron, and coal, the other for whatever I can find. Converting stone and jade into ladders. So far my record is still level....42, I think. My plan is to accrue bombs and ladders and then, on a good luck day, tell the farm it's on its own, use a desert totem to get to the caverns before seven, and then make an all-out effort to get to level 100. I haven't practiced with the ladders yet: I've gleaned from dicussions here that sometimes the game deploys them in un-usuable areas. I also have a dresser in my bedroom (and a baby), so I have two chests I can take to the mines to store stuff.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Still working on winter, year 3. I may get to a million in reserves before the end of the year, or very close. Right now I'm hitting the caves or skull caverns every day -- one for stone, iron, and coal, the other for whatever I can find. Converting stone and jade into ladders. So far my record is still level....42, I think. My plan is to accrue bombs and ladders and then, on a good luck day, tell the farm it's on its own, use a desert totem to get to the caverns before seven, and then make an all-out effort to get to level 100. I haven't practiced with the ladders yet: I've gleaned from discussions here that sometimes the game deploys them in unusable areas. I also have a dresser in my bedroom (and a baby), so I have two chests I can take to the mines to store stuff.
Nice! Don't worry too much about using staircases. They're pretty foolproof. Worst thing that happens is that you might put two down next to each other, which is a bit of a waste (but then I just bring way more than I need).

Guess who just got to sixty total rabbits?! hehehehehe

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
Last night Penny wanted to update the bedroom, and asked me to remove my chests and such. My farmer awoke to find himself trapped in bed. I had to inventory lamps and plants until working my way free. Not sure why she decided to move the bed against the wall. :grin: It was a good luck day, so I decided to make a test run on the caves. Got to level 20 and realized -- I'd left a lot of my food/energy pickups in a chest when I was doing an all-day fishing spree. Whoopsie. Will try again.

I MADE IT TO YEAR 4! At some point in the winter, I hit a million gold in operating reserves. I also mounted my first serious run on the caves, annnnnnnnnnnnd I got so close. I was on level 88 with thirteen staircases left when it hit 2:00 and my dude just passed out. I lost 20+ bombs and used 30 staircases. :( On the bright side, I got enough iridium ore for 6 bars, and another pristmatic shard. I have 3 in chests and one was used for my galaxy sword. I was trying to hit a balance between using the ladders and throwing bombs to find ladders and slides. More bombs and less manual mining last time. Year 3 was a good year. I finished the community center in spring, hit a million in total earnings in the spring, and by its end had close to 3 mill in total earnings with a million in reserve. Once I get to 2 I will spring for Pam's house. Finally leveled up my last skill, which was combat. I never went back to Ginger Island -- was focused on iron, coal, and stone for staircases and bombs. Let's have a tour, shall we?

This is the main pad earlier during year 3. I've seen other people's farms looking very neat and tidy. Mine looks more rustic. I don't like the "nature conquered" look.

Immediately below it is Cow Island. Technically it's also home to goats, sheeps, and pigs, but the cows were there first. In time I may move them to the Big Island and move operations around, but Big Island is my main cash crop place.

Big Island, my primary cash crop place, and home to my horse Sayyid, several maple syrup jobs, and part of my orchard.

The Other Island, which I only developed in year 3, and Timber Island, now known as Bee & Timber Island, because on spring day 2 I carved out some space for more honeybees. I have been using this island for wood alone, and had it fully covered in trees.

This area is mostly about the orchard but I'm also growing rice here. Eventually it will be flowers and bees, I think.

Moving up is my greenhouse, coop, and Wino Row. Greenhouse has half cranberries, 1/2 strawberries, and 1/2 blueberries. Nothing deliberate there, it's just the seed stock I had on hand when I restored it in winter year 2. The bottom row that isn't covered by sprinklers does ancient fruit and starfruit. I plan to expand those into the main greenhouse area, but I like having a constant supply of fruit for my preserve bins and wino row. I like producing them more than just farming starfruit for money.

Moving back to the homestead, this is my secondary field, started early in year 1. I was using it to grow things for the community center, but in the summer and fall it's mostly a wheatfield.

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
I started a new save as a female character to see if the dialogue/gameplay changed any. I noticed Hayley had a line about makeup that I don't think was in my main male save. Although my intention was to explore dialogue, I've gotten caught up in trying to see how much more money I can make in this year 1 than in my original year 1, now that I know a little more of what I'm doing. Whereas in my original save I ignored mining until winter and only started making myself fish deep into year 2, I've already hit level 5 of both of those skills in this save. I also planned my garden around future sprinklers, so once I get gold ore coming in (level 60 in the mines presently) I'll be ready to hit the ground running. I've already got iron, copper, and refined quartz.

Rhiannon

Farmer
I started a new save as a female character to see if the dialogue/gameplay changed any. I noticed Hayley had a line about makeup that I don't think was in my main male save. Although my intention was to explore dialogue, I've gotten caught up in trying to see how much more money I can make in this year 1 than in my original year 1, now that I know a little more of what I'm doing. Whereas in my original save I ignored mining until winter and only started making myself fish deep into year 2, I've already hit level 5 of both of those skills in this save. I also planned my garden around future sprinklers, so once I get gold ore coming in (level 60 in the mines presently) I'll be ready to hit the ground running. I've already got iron, copper, and refined quartz.
I have started over twice, so three total saves. The first one was my starter save. I learned I didn't like the farm layout I had chosen, and way too many things I missed in my first two game years of playing. My second save has made it to 11 years and 86% completion. Then I started again for my YT channel. This one is going very well as I have done better due to knowing better and will be my first 100% completion. Very smart of you to plant your farm with future planting in mind. Wish I had thought of that! But, I rearranged as I progressed.

Rhiannon

Farmer
My most recent adventure had me in the volcano on Ginger Island. On one attempt, I made it to level 8 but it was nearly 2am and I was out of food. Home I went. By then, my first crop of cauliflower for the season had been harvested by my sweet little Junimos so I had to quit messing around and get chores done. Got the replant done with all my own seeds! That was a first on this save. My baby Rose grew up to be a toddler and she gets to wear a cute sailor hat. And I'm making good progress on being best friends with everyone. AND a baby cow was born in my barn! Very busy my past few episodes!

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
I've been playing my experiment save off and on between grad school assignments and am almost at the end of year 1. DEFINITELY more successful. I began winter with three times the reserves I began with in Winter 1 of my first save, despite having already gotten an expanded barn, a coop, a stable, and upgraded most of my tools. I did NONE of those in my original year 1. I've also completed 3 rooms in the community center already, which is something it took me until year 2 to do last time. If I continue it into year 2, I should complete it by the summer or early fall at most, since most of what I need is high-quality spring and summer crops. I also reached the skull caverns by late summer and maximixed farming, mining, and fishing fairly early. I think I will continue this save and marry either Abigail or Emily (my strongest Penny rivals in my original save) for a bit to see how that goes. I do want to return to my original, though, and try to break my record (85, I think) for skull caverns exploring.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Finally made it past floor 200 in skull cavern! I only got one prismatic shard out of the run (the rest of the treasures included: fall seeds, cherry bombs, bombs, a duplicate hat, rain totems, and an energy drink) but this is pretty good for me. I mean, I forgot to bring any bombs or explosive ammo (I'm quite bad with the sling anyway), so I was relying on the napalm ring to do most of the bombing. If I can get a few more shards, I plan to see if I can get master on the iridium fishing rod. That's the last enchantment I am interested in (I don't think I'll benefit from anything on the hoe or the axe at this point).

SCHULMANWRITER

Greenhorn
I decided to start the journey to perfection. This is my second file. The first one I stopped after completing the community center.

I'm at Year 2 Fall 27. Finished the community center earlier this season, and I'm working on shipping items, making money, and getting resources.

In winter I need to focus on fishing, setting up for spring, digging through Skull Cavern, and working on Willy's boat.

I know it's a long push so I'm taking my time and trying to make sure I have what I need before spring when I can really make some headway.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Almost at perfection on my mobile save I played all throughout the summer. I have friendship and crafting left pretty much and a couple stardrops.

I’m going to keep it as a main save fore skull cavern runs, money, and experimenting when not on my pc because I find that quite fun