demetrius--how do you people feel about him?

Demetrius has a book about being a good step dad, which I find heartwarming.
He's enthusiastic about the farm, crops, weather, and interesting specimens!
He sets up your cave, how cool is that?
And he's easy to find, and likes salmonberries, so he's easy to make friends with early in the game.
He's a little funny about Maru, and I don't like the tomato scene. But he's alright.

ArtifactSpot

Hi everyone,

Let's not discuss or advocate for the death of a character in the game. You're welcome to like or dislike any of the game's characters, but we ask that everyone keep things friendly.

I think it would be good to remember that every character in Stardew Valley is someone's favorite! When talking about a character in the game, consider if you would feel comfortable if someone else said that same thing about your favorite character.
Thank you kindly for this! It’s not only in Stardew, I think we should have less hatred in our world in general. Love others, respect our differences, embrace our similarities as human beings all equal in this world we share together. It would make the world a much better place. 🤗

imnvs

Local Legend
Wow, I know this is a "dislike Demetrius" thread... but what the hell happened between my visits?

Seriously, everyone in Pelican Town has redeeming qualities and something to like about them, except Morris, but I never see anyone making a thread to drag him for some reason. Demetrious is a bit rigid and overprotective of his daughter, and Lewis has enough money to make a gold statue of himself while bemoaning the dwindling taxes and is adorably scared of what will happen if people find out he is in a relationship with a townie, and Pierre tries to gouge everyone on prices until he's about to lose all his customers... but these failings let the good things these people do shine so much the brighter.

Maher

Farmer
Demetrius has a book about being a good step dad, which I find heartwarming.
He's enthusiastic about the farm, crops, weather, and interesting specimens!
He sets up your cave, how cool is that?
And he's easy to find, and likes salmonberries, so he's easy to make friends with early in the game.
He's a little funny about Maru, and I don't like the tomato scene. But he's alright.
And the marriage has a baseline of affection: They have date nights on Friday where the go to the bar and dance, and Demetrius dances with Robin at the Luau when he would rather be chowing down on one of the rare meat meals offered in the valley.

DragonGwen

Farmer
Please stop hating on my favorite Dad in law for this game. Yes, you dislike him. We all have characters we don't like. But you don't need to rage against a video game character (but feel free to call Tom Nook bad names)

Rinnyyyyy

Newcomer
Honestly I understand the dislikes as he is protective over his daughter but I don’t understand how he is seen as a neglectful or abusive father towards Sebastian, I know that he doesn’t really say anything about him but Robin only says one thing about Maru too . I know that the snowgoon thing was upsetting but Robin threw all of Sebastian’s comics away and yet everyone still loves her but hates Demetrius? The tomato scene was also seen as controversial but he’s a scientist, he’ll see it differently to how Robin will see a tomato as a vegetable, also Robin saying “that’s how normal people call it” or something like that is so weird and rude to say to your husband yet no one says anything about that. Also in the four post bed scene , he’s in the wrong yes but it doesn’t help that Robin never says that she doesn’t want advice and only wants praise , she just flips out at him. And she does that a lot , she gets angry at him when he doesn’t see it her way and everyone hates him but no one hates Robin. I get that him being protective over Maru and Sebastian can be seen as favouritism but not only are they the ONLY non-white people but she’s his biological daughter . I understand why people would dislike him but I don’t understand the amount of hate he gets .

Last edited:

HaleyRocks

Farmer
I don't like him much, to be honest, although i do not exactly despise or hate him.

He got in my black list, when he "warned" me about his daughter, Maru, to not hinder her future, "if we know what that means".

He also made me angry, when he played wisecrack guy against his wife Robin, when she asked him to bring some fruit... And he brought, tomatoes! Going so far as to present arguments for his choice, complete with opening a scientific debate and asking for our contribution/defense.

THE, definition, of "smartash". One of the reasons Maru is to the bottom tier of my preference for marriage characters, is him.

Maher

Farmer
One of the reasons Maru is to the bottom tier of my preference for marriage characters, is him.
He's not a particularly troublesome in-law. He never has much to say that isn't about fungal metabolism once you've gotten past the heart events. Now Pam, OTOH, gains the utterance "you better be treating my little girl right" (or something like it, I'm not chasing the exact words down at the wiki) which gets old fast. Especially since, if a spouse gets down to 13 hearts, that's a five alarm fire!

LRangerR

Local Legend
I don't like him much, to be honest, although i do not exactly despise or hate him.

He got in my black list, when he "warned" me about his daughter, Maru, to not hinder her future, "if we know what that means".

He also made me angry, when he played wisecrack guy against his wife Robin, when she asked him to bring some fruit... And he brought, tomatoes! Going so far as to present arguments for his choice, complete with opening a scientific debate and asking for our contribution/defense.

THE, definition, of "smartash". One of the reasons Maru is to the bottom tier of my preference for marriage characters, is him.
This i 100 percent get. Honestly robin deserves better than him, and I am sure you can imagine my frustration when, on my first playthrough I learned that Best Girl Robin was not a dateable character. While Demetrius does have his redeeming qualities, he is near the bottom of my list of how well I like each villager, even lower than mom mode penny and never there for your kids (or my sheep) Marnie.

But, at least he's not a parrot...I think

I’m on team Demetrius too. I don’t get why he’s often so unliked. He seems like he might even be mildly autistic, socially awkward if not. He is not a jerk and certainly not hate worthy.
I was about to post this, I have several family members with ASD, and he very clearly shows signs of that (i.e. taking things literally, sometimes having a hard time understanding the emotions of others)