demetrius--how do you people feel about him?

Caviar

Sodbuster
Demetrius... How do I feel about him? I never take the time to talk to him because he's always in the mountains, and whenever I go up there, it's usually because its mining day, or I need another silo. I probably wouldn't even notice if ConcernedApe took him out. :sweat:
He usually comes out of his room at 3:00 and leaves the mountains.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Demetrius... How do I feel about him? I never take the time to talk to him because he's always in the mountains, and whenever I go up there, it's usually because its mining day, or I need another silo. I probably wouldn't even notice if ConcernedApe took him out. :sweat:
That's actually incredibly rude, he does a lot of work for the valley.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Um, why is a mycologist telling me when there are too many lingcod?
He's more of a general wildlife biologist, even if some of his dialog is mycology-based. Or frootbatology-based. Whatever, he's based.

So his interests fit pretty well with tracking the levels of Fish overstock and one of his requests is that darn Pufferfish that takes me forever to find and then catch. I mostly like him as I used to be far-too-literal as a younger person for which I spent time in self-imposed penance for my transgressions and am now well into the atonement phase. I think big D can get there too with some encouragement.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
He's more of a general wildlife biologist, even if some of his dialog is mycology-based. Or frootbatology-based. Whatever, he's based.

So his interests fit pretty well with tracking the levels of Fish overstock and one of his requests is that darn Pufferfish that takes me forever to find and then catch. I mostly like him as I used to be far-too-literal as a younger person for which I spent time in self-imposed penance for my transgressions and am now well into the atonement phase. I think big D can get there too with some encouragement.
Honestly as someone who's really interested in the subject myself he seems to be more in a niche of environmental science than anything, especially with his quests talking about species balancing around the valley, incredible interest in the green rain phenomena, and general data repetitive data gathering around the mountains.

Draconifors

Farmer
Honestly as someone who's really interested in the subject myself he seems to be more in a niche of environmental science than anything, especially with his quests talking about species balancing around the valley, incredible interest in the green rain phenomena, and general data repetitive data gathering around the mountains.
Yeah, definitely environmental science.
Which is why I liked him right away.

Maher

Farmer
As a mobile only user, I'm weeks away from getting green rain. But I'll grant the general ecology thing.

But if I take out a predator like the lingcod, doesn't it stand to reason that the other river fish will reach unsustainable levels?

LRangerR

Local Legend
As a mobile only user, I'm weeks away from getting green rain. But I'll grant the general ecology thing.

But if I take out a predator like the lingcod, doesn't it stand to reason that the other river fish will reach unsustainable levels?
You do realize that not all of the fish are assigned to their propper biome right?

Maher

Farmer
You do realize that not all of the fish are assigned to their propper biome right?
I can throw Legend and Crimsonfish in the same aquarium and they do just fine . . . It bothers me some but I didn't build this play world. So Crimsonfish is like Swim bladders?!?! We don't need no steenkin' swim bladders! And Legend is all like Osmotic dehydration? Sounds like an otherworld problem to me!

Draconifors

Farmer
I can throw Legend and Crimsonfish in the same aquarium and they do just fine
Makes even less sense than being able to use ocean water to water crops. :D

Demetrius should make a study on these things. Is there even salt in the ocean water?
I know some of the freshwater fish have descriptions specifically mentioning freshwater, but I don't recall any ocean fish's description mentioning saltwater.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend

Obviously there are infinite of each fish in each pool of water due to game logic.

From a more real standpoint though, not necessarily. Sure if it was the only lingcod maintaining a really small population of other fish then sure, but that was already a really precarious balance (that wouldn't last past the lingcod dying anyway) so there's a general assumption that these fish are in larger populations. It's why we're usually asked to get rid of a fairly large number of fish when he has that specific request

LRangerR

Local Legend
Obviously there are infinite of each fish in each pool of water due to game logic.

From a more real standpoint though, not necessarily. Sure if it was the only lingcod maintaining a really small population of other fish then sure, but that was already a really precarious balance (that wouldn't last past the lingcod dying anyway) so there's a general assumption that these fish are in larger populations. It's why we're usually asked to get rid of a fairly large number of fish when he has that specific request
It amuses me how somewhere the game insinuates that you should fish responsibly, but there's never any consequence

Maher

Farmer
It amuses me how somewhere the game insinuates that you should fish responsibly, but there's never any consequence
I was once catching bunches of Sandfish for Penny, and they stopped biting. I thought I had driven the population to exhaustion, but it turns out they had just all turned in for the night.

But it all raises the question - why is Demetrius even bothering? Has something happened to the ecosystem that demands his intervention? Is it that all the broken CDs, Eyeglasses, and Soggy Newspapers drove some Ur-Predator to extinction that it's on Big D to keep it all in balance?