demetrius--how do you people feel about him?

demetrius, I HATE HIM!! he is the worst character in the game in my opinion. me and my boyfriend absolutely DESPISE him. how do you guys feel about demitrius?

Last edited:
Aww, I like Demetrius--as does my husband! I can understand how he can be perceived as off-putting, but I think he's just misunderstood because he views the world a bit differently.
He appears over-bearing with Maru at first, but most fathers have a difficult time accepting the maturation of their children (especially daughters) and comes to fully trust her choices (and you, the farmer, if you're pursuing her) because after all, if he didn't, that would reflect more on his and Robin's parenting ability than anything.
Sebastian has an almost nonexistent relationship with him, it seems, and struggles with the perceived extra attention paid to Maru, and as a step-child with younger siblings myself, I understand his feelings all too well, but I'd love a step-dad like Demetrius, all things considered; at the very least, he's not physically aggressive towards Robin or their children, unlike her ex.
I don't believe that Demetrius intends any ill will towards any of the villagers, he just values information and scientific reasoning, which is why he speaks the way he does and gets under Robin's skin at times--it's not always enjoyable conversing with someone as pedantic as he tends to be, and I'd be annoyed with the tomato thing, too, but I always side with Demetrius for that interaction anyway!
He has a deep appreciation for nature, like Linus, he just goes about it in a different way while still respecting the critters and natural habitats. Plus, he hooks you up with goodies in the cave on your property, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't helpful with completing the community center or cooking meals!
He often sends you gifts regularly, too, once you're decent friends and while I certainly don't need all those nautilus shells, it's still a kind gesture.

I can't say that I "hate" any of the villagers, even Lewis and Pierre have at least one redeemable quality, much like the majority of people in everyday life, and that's what makes the game so incredibly good--we're not all shining beacons of love and light all the time, and that's okay because it's what makes us human. Imagine how mundane and meaningless life on this rock would be if everyone was a model citizen who only said all the right things all the time.

Maher

Farmer
Demetrius' hyperliteralism is his form of humor. I want the recipe for the Caviar pie he claims to have brought to the Egg festival. My biggest problem is that there's no third way for the PC on Form vs. Function or Botanical vs. Culinary, so I end up skipping the cut scenes. I'd love to be able to have a harsh and a gentle way of telling him he's being a jerk.

I don't like the character but don't hate him either.

The tomato scene just makes him seem like a high intelligence/low wisdom character (sometimes referred to as a dumb smart person). It didn't really effect my view of him. The bed scene is questionable. It's easy to see why Robin reacted by questioning if he was being deliberately obtuse to annoy her and unfortunately there's no further dialogue to answer that question. Still, not really a big deal. He might just have a bad sense of humor or might just be dumb.

There's also no dialogue from him in regards to Sebastian, which is very odd. The way the bachelors/bachlorettes are set up suggests most are around the same age and some of Sebastian's dialogue after marriage/kids suggests he and Maru are close in age. That's really where I think the issue with Demetrius lies. As it stands, he can't be a new stepfather or one who entered the picture after Sebastian was too old to try to be a parent to, yet the game acts like he has nothing to do with him. Well, outside of making him destroy his snow goon, which also seems odd.

If Sebastian and Maru were step siblings instead of half siblings, and there were dialogue to suggest their parents married fairly recently, then Demetrius would just seem like a dumb smart person who doesn't know how to talk to his grown stepson (which would be understandable). The same if the Maru character as we know her was unrelated to the family and Demetrius and Robin's daughter was much younger. As it is, he comes across like someone who married someone with a very young child (probably a toddler) but decided he was going to have nothing to do with that child, and I just find that weird. Between that and the windowless-basement-in-the-house-Robin-built-herself thing, Demeitrius and Robin don't make the best impression.

Maybe some of the new dialogue in 1.6 will help balance him out a bit more.

Quirinea

Farmer
@Brave Little Sapling
"he's not physically aggressive towards Robin or their children, unlike her ex."

Where do you get that? In base game there is nothing telling about Robin's first husband (I know in SVE Robin's ex was mentioned as abusive).
(BTW I've made a completely different story about him as a mod,also hinting why Dem and Sebby relation was awkward)

Yeah, I see Demetrius as non-neurotypical.

@Brave Little Sapling
"he's not physically aggressive towards Robin or their children, unlike her ex."

Where do you get that? In base game there is nothing telling about Robin's first husband (I know in SVE Robin's ex was mentioned as abusive).
(BTW I've made a completely different story about him as a mod,also hinting why Dem and Sebby relation was awkward)

Yeah, I see Demetrius as non-neurotypical.
"Yeah, I see Demetrius as non-neurotypical."
me too LOL,

Maher

Farmer
"Yeah, I see Demetrius as non-neurotypical."
me too LOL,
That whole household really.

Robin - Put a project in front of her and she works on it for 72 hours straight. I usually feed her when she's doing something for me.

Maru - Robotics, rocketry, and astronomy. Marry her and she can't wait to get away from the festivals.

Sebastian - Programs for a living, avoids people when he can.

But really, these are the technocrats of Stardew Valley - even Robin whose carpentry is all about making useful things. Whether it's the circular window on Pam's house or the hardwood bed, she speaks in terms of a neat hack, not an objet d'arte as Leah does.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I always felt like Demetrius was designed to be on the spectrum at least a bit. The way he seemingly hyper focuses on what he enjoys (and maybe ignores Sebastian because of that) and the way he is portrayed in certain heart events like the fruit/veggie cutscene between him and Robin.
I think people often judge him a little harshly though he absolutely has his faults (as everyone does). We really don’t know the whole picture and family dynamic and I think conclusions get jumped to.
Overall he’s not my favourite npc but I don’t hate him and I think he’s judged a little bit much. He has a good balance to him for a pixelated character in a farming game.

OK, I'll bite - What's Lewis' redeeming quality?
1) He somehow finds time between embezzling tax money to ensure every festival in town still happens on the same day every year, 2) there are opportunities to embarrass him publicly i.e. wearing his panties, displaying the statue of self-absorption in the town square, threats of blackmail--some people need extra encouragement to be moral. Lol

@Brave Little Sapling
It doesn't directly say that Seb's father was an abusive person, you're right about that. I may be confusing his dialogue with Alex's! I wish it gave more details of Sebastian's father, but regardless, he doesn't have a relationship with his biological father, which could definitely be a contributing factor to his general behavior and aids to compound the overt resentment he has for Demetrius and Maru. I wish he was more gracious towards Maru; I've personally never called my "half-brothers" anything but my "brothers," despite an over 10 year age difference between us, but everyone's different, especially fictional characters! Thanks for correcting me! :smile:

imnvs

Local Legend
I don't know why people use the word hate except that they are seeing a tip of an iceberg and assuming that's all there is... and instead of being disappointed and rightfully so, they are expressing outrage better reserved for other things.
1) He somehow finds time between embezzling tax money to ensure every festival in town still happens on the same day every year, 2) there are opportunities to embarrass him publicly i.e. wearing his panties, displaying the statue of self-absorption in the town square, threats of blackmail--some people need extra encouragement to be moral. Lol
We literally have no proof he is embezzling. People are absolutely making assumptions there and judging him because of it.

We literally have no proof he is embezzling. People are absolutely making assumptions there and judging him because of it.
Obviously there's no proof he's embezzling money. It's an old trope at this point that lends credence to the fact that the man laments dwindling tax revenue but finds the funds to commission a solid gold statue of himself, as the mayor of a community of less than 30 people who relies on a stranger to restore run-down buildings and methods of transportation, lest he sell to a corporation that threatens the survival of small business in the village. Whether or not he's embezzling, his values are clearly questionable regardless.

It's truly not that serious anyway as all these people we're discussing are literal cartoons with computer programmed personalities.

ArtifactSpot

[Original message removed]
First of all it’s a game just a game. Second of all calm down now. Third if these thoughts are really for real and factually racing through your mind I say you need to quickly drop this game, take a break from video games in general and find a professional to talk with. Anger issues are real and such deep hatred could pour out into real life and hurt real life people around you. I see a professional for other issues. They can help us be better people. Please consider.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtifactSpot

[Original message removed]
Since you two keep feeding off each other and bringing such violent hatred on multiple threads to these otherwise pleasant place to hang out forums I’m going to start reporting you and ask that others do as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Odin

Staff member
Hi everyone,

Let's not discuss or advocate for the death of a character in the game. You're welcome to like or dislike any of the game's characters, but we ask that everyone keep things friendly.

I think it would be good to remember that every character in Stardew Valley is someone's favorite! When talking about a character in the game, consider if you would feel comfortable if someone else said that same thing about your favorite character.

Last edited: