Your storage chest color coding

imnvs

Local Legend
Wow, my color coding is nearly identical to yours, add in LRangerR’s notation of black chest for mining and that’s pretty much a complete list for me. I think I keep my warp totems in a random, strategically placed brown chest with various unused tools though.

When I have say 3 of the same chests colors for minerals (3 grey chests), I will actually sub-organize their contents according to colors of the rainbow within those chests, so maybe red/pink/orange minerals in the first grey chest; yellow, green, blue in the second gray chest; purple, brown, black etc., in the third grey chest. Then I don’t need signs, I just go right to the chest I want lol. Though this sorting may vary somewhat on what colors go into the first, second or third of the same-color chest, depending on what it is I’m sorting.

Some things I just organize by type inside chests of the same color, because that makes more sense. Two levels of color sort works good for me lol.
In my gem/mineral chests... the cheaper minerals go in one chest and the more expensive in another chest. In the expensive chests it goes prismatic shards, gems organized by value and then the expensive minerals by value... and the same goes for the minerals in the other chest.

A number of people have mentioned they use an aesthetic color coding system and not a functional one, which is how I played for years. The reasoning being very consistent for me: I didn't notice you could change Chest colors until someone here mentioned it. Same goes for painting your Farm buildings.

I am a Horse. Because I wear Horse Blinders. Seriously, it's almost weird how I don't notice things*.

stock photo of suspect

But as I now have too many Farm saves to keep track of, I need those colors to have even a chance of finding things when I switch from one to another.

* With this set of, ahem, capabilities, you can imagine how utterly mystified I was with that new v1.5 content area. I probably would have stopped playing the game if not for the Wiki. That place broke my brain.
Yep, this is it for me too; I can swap between games when something get monotonous in one and still know exactly where things are, regardless of which of the slew of game files I am opening lol. I think also it’s a visual-learner and visual-memory thing for me. My memory generally sucks, but visual recall is still pretty well intact; I have to lean on that as much as possible. 😊

Hill Myna

Farmer
Back to chest colours - these are mine, I stick to them (more or less) in every save:
Farben_schwarz.jpg
raw materials (ores, bars, coal, geodes, wood etc.)
Farben_grau.jpg
farming tools and supplies (sap, hay, fertiliser, watering can, sprinklers, bee houses etc.)
Farben_dunkelrot.jpg seeds
Farben_dunkelgruen.jpg
vegetables
Farben_hellgruen.jpg
fruits
Farben_petrol.jpg
fish
Farben_tuerkis.jpg
shellfish, algae, roe
Farben_rosa.jpg
spring flowers
Farben_dunkelrosa.jpg
summer flowers
Farben_rotviolett.jpg
autumn and winter flowers

... to be continued ...

I have two sets of seasonal chests, one for seeds and one for produce.
Pink: Spring
Red: Summer
Orange: Fall
Light Blue: Winter (mainly just for Ancient seeds and winter seeds.)
Then I have a purple chest for foraged stuff.
My teal chest is fish.
I have a black chest for mining supplies/gatherings.
Typically, on the last day of Fall, I sell everything I’ve grown/gathered, and collect a nice chunk of change.

Hawkgirl6511

Cowpoke
Inspired by @imnvs post in the Naming Chests Game Suggestion section, what is your color coding system for your storage Chests?

Me first, ooo! ooo! Me first, pick me!

Green - Veggies
Light Green - Veggies I don't like
Yellow - Forage (like Veggies, but not as good)
Red - Fruit
Orange - Fruit I don't like
Brown - Wood and Tree-derived things like Tree Seeds/Syrup/Resin, etc
Brown - Mushrooms
Dark Gray - collected minerals
Gray/White - more minerals and the other junk you donate to the Museum (bones, dolls, G.I. Joe action figures)
Blue - Fish
Light Blue - Shellfish and Roes (add columns and you'll get a spreadsheet)
Light Green - Seeds, fertilizers, soily stuff
Purple - Active chest of all current projects: usually Jade, Stairs, Quartz Ores/Bars, Tools, Coffee, Spicy Eel, Bombs, Geodes, Ginger Is. stuff, more
Pink - Loved Gifts and sometimes Odds n ends like Warp Totems

And usually some uncolored ones for expansion.

And you...?

ranboozler

Farmhand
recently reorganized my storage shed, which is pretty nice... except for the fact I forgot to add.a food chest. haha.. oopsies :3
because describing it would be a tad painful, please enjoy this image of it.
20230207_215523.jpg
might decorate it more in the future..
the statue ones (well, Foguemon and HJMTL) are for stuff I'm too lazy to sort. which is a lot of stuff. so much stuff, I have 5 more chests inside that I haven't sorted either.