Your storage chest color coding

VampireCake

Rancher
i am on my tenth or so came, usually start a new one after two years, and did not know i could color them. have to figure out how to do it
Place the chest and click on it to open, there should be a bar of colours at the top of the screen you can pick from. There's no cost and you can change it whenever you like. Some of the colours look a little different on stone chests to wood ones. :smile:

MogBeoulve

Farmer
i am on my tenth or so game, usually start a new one after two years, and did not know i could color them. have to figure out how to do it
There should be a row of colored squares above the chest contents when you open it up. Click any to change the color. If you empty the chest and pick it up, the color will revert to default. (I'm not sure about pushing filled chests; I suspect they stay the same color as they are not getting moved into inventory, but have not tested this.)

I actually do not usually color code my chests. Most things are in the eight chests surrounding my workbench, and I like the default color for that group. Other chests in other locations may get colors to match their surroundings. It varies; I move chests around a lot, and don't like having to change the color back each time.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I have sorted categories labelled with a sign or by memory and then chests for those things so I can repeat colours without confusion.

For example I have a forage sections with 4 chests one for each season and a crop section, 1 for each section and the 4th chest for miscellaneous crops. They both use the same colours but I know because of a sign.

I have warm and cold gem chests, white is usually for artifacts, and then some chest colours usually signify something to me like purple for wine or iridium or iridium gold eggs. White is for mayo with artisanal context. Stuff like that.

I have like 130 permanently filled chests and another 250~ that are sometimes filled so I need a lot of sorting.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I have like 130 permanently filled chests and another 250~ that are sometimes filled so I need a lot of sorting.
Wait, what do you have in all those chests? I thought I was a hoarder, but I have at most two dozen chests, and half of them only hold five or fewer items because they are just positioned in strategic locations (chest of bait next to my crab pots, for instance).

Confused

Rancher
I take my organization on a very simple scale, I narrow things down to either 5 or 6 categories.

Veggies - Dark Green
Forage - Light Green
Fruit - Pink
Fish/Fishing items - Light Blue
Miscellaneous quest/Community center items - Purple
Miscellaneous - Orange

I'm sure my setup probably infuriates some, but if you can't find any of my stuff in my wacky organization, you can't steal anything-

Rhiannon

Farmer
Interesting organizations here. None of which are the same as mine. :wink:

In my seed/produce shed, I have three rows for each season. Front row is seeds for the given season, second row is produce and third row is forgeable for that season. Each season has a specific color: Pink for spring, green for summer, brown for fall and red for winter which is only one chest.

Next to my house is the kiln and furnaces with black chest for crafting resources. I have two fish chests (blue of course) which are out by the pond on standard farm.

Inside the house at the foot of the bed, I have a black chest for mining supplies (sword, foods), a light gray chest for chore tools and miscellany I must keep because SDV has created hoarders of us all, and another chest for miscellany stuff like golden pumpkins, the 9 fair items that will win every year and anything else I deem worthy of keeping.

Jayamos

Farmer
I mostly organize my chests by place:
  • By the door to the house: gifts (pink for friendship!) and stuff-to-take-to-town, like geodes or fishing supplies (red, dunno why).
  • By the bed: mining supplies (default brown)
  • In the bedroom at the far end: decorations (blue) and items for making clothing (default)
  • In the greenhouse: seeds, fencing, extra pathing (default)
  • In the processing shed: fruit to process
  • In the cabin by the workbench: forageable craft supplies like wood, wild seeds (default); minable craft supplies like rock, ore, also my forged stuff (black).

GDawney

Sodbuster
In the house, to the left of the door:
Red: healing food
Green: buffing food

In the house, to the right of the door:
Junimo chest
Light green: crop seeds, fertilizers
Dark gray: adventuring stuff (spare weapons, bombs, staircases)
Light gray: odds and ends storage

In the house, by the catalogues:
Light blue: wall decorations
Brown: decorations
I know, you've come and gone from this subject, but reading about your categories really makes me want to see a picture of your farm. Anything handy you can post?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Wait, what do you have in all those chests? I thought I was a hoarder, but I have at most two dozen chests, and half of them only hold five or fewer items because they are just positioned in strategic locations (chest of bait next to my crab pots, for instance).
Yeah lol, I have a lot.
About 120 chests are in a shed which comprise my primary storage, a lot of space is just all the stuff I’ve made for perfection, decorating, artisanal goods, seasonal sorted forage and crops, minerals sorted by warm and cold colours, artifacts, a chest for mayo, one for wines, etc.
I also have chests for something like doing sc.

My house has another 270~
They vary with being filled by hay, sometimes 40+ are filled, sometimes only a few.

26 chests are filled with gold ore, 7 with coal, 2 with copper and iron ore (one each), one with batteries. And a nice 99 that are mostly empty with jade to be replaced with stone.
That’s for progress on my crystalariums, the copper and iron are for a thousand furnaces and solar panels respectively.

Every 20 years or so I fill 60~ chests in my house with golden eggs for an absolutely gargantuan sale.
My house also has a few with stuff from running sc that I’ve been too lazy to sort and my “main” and favourite chest with most of my primary tools, weapons, etc. that I will need in a day.
Another 24 in my house are fully filled with flamingoes.

Outside of my primary permanent storage shed and primary temporary storage in my house is probably a couple dozen more chests.
I’ll miss a few probably but these are the ones I can remember.
4-6 chests outside my greenhouse which were my original chests. I have an old mining loot chest, one with a few thousand ancient fruit, autopetters, pineapples, and more stuff for coop filling, one with all my interesting weapons, and my second favourite chest with my main “collectibles” and items that are significant to me for the importance they once had in my file, along with other chests there too.

My greenhouse has a chest with fruit mostly.

The mines have a couple random chests that haven’t been touched in dozens of years and one outside which I used for fishing storage in the first year.

There are probably more that I’m forgetting but that’s the vast majority of them.

imnvs

Local Legend
I know, you've come and gone from this subject, but reading about your categories really makes me want to see a picture of your farm. Anything handy you can post?
I have three threads in the showcase section, and all are linked in my signature. You can even see the progression in some of them if you follow the threads for each farm. :smile: Honestly, that's the best way to see what I've done. :happy:

Ilune

Planter
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a preference of wood or stone chests (once you get them)?
usually as soon as I have the stone chest recipe and the machineto destroy and retake materials, I substitute all the wood chest with stone ones - because 1 jade = 1 stair = 99 stones = 2 chests, and wood is more difficult to obain.

I don't store tons of stuffs, but usually
YELLOW = the small collection of the best of for the fair (I like umiliate Pierre every year =D )
BLUE = the best fishes (legendaries, lava eels, etc)
LIGH GRAY = all the collection of weapons

other colours are usually chosed according the room/shed's theme

GDawney

Sodbuster
I have three threads in the showcase section, and all are linked in my signature. You can even see the progression in some of them if you follow the threads for each farm. :smile: Honestly, that's the best way to see what I've done. :happy:
You are, and always have been, a doll! Thanks.

Sinmenon

Planter
I always keep 3 chests by my bed, they usually have quest items and rarer stuff like prism shards, pearls and the mermaid's pendant but these are colored for the aesthetic of it. Then I also keep one or two chests by the kitchen to place the extra foodstuff that didn't fit in the fridge and maybe one chest for food ready to go.
I also keep a bunch of chests around the workbench with materials often used to make stuff for convenience's sake, these have a system that...I always forgot what I did. But brown I know I use for minerals!
There's also one chest next to the entrance to the mines and another next to the entrance to the skull caves. I basically stash all the items I'm not using before going in and out, along with bombs, any ladder I have made and other exploration supplies. I usually make these either red, white or yellow to catch my attention. (and in older farms where I have tons of resources I also have a junimo chest nearby to store the tools in case I forget)

In the shed, it goes as follows:
Pink: spring seeds
Yellow: summer seeds
Orange: fall seeds
Blue: fishing stuff
Brown: minerals
Black: produce for the fair
And then I pick a random color for the decor chests. It depends on my playthrough, currently it is green.

MangoLemonXx

Farmhand
Since I like to use the craft table as much as possible, my storage chest colour codes are as follows:

• Dark Green: Wood, Stone, Sap, Charcoal &etc. This is basically anything that drops whilst clearing the farm naturally.
  • Light Green: Spring seeds, farming produce and harvestables.
  • Yellow: Summer ""
  • Orange: Autumn""
  • Blue: Winter ""
  • Light Blue: Cooked foods
  • Aquamarine: Fishing goods
  • Purple: Presents
  • Pink: Miscellaneous - either weapons or other things depending on the location of the chest.
  • Dark Grey: Crafted items not for sale, like floor tiles and fertiliser.
  • Light Grey: Artefacts and Gems
  • Dark Brown: Farming produce to be processed into wine, cheese, oil etc.

MangoLemonXx

Farmhand
...Then I also keep one or two chests by the kitchen to place the extra foodstuff that didn't fit in the fridge and maybe one chest for food ready to go.
Why don't you just buy additional refrigerators so that the ingredients are ready to cook when you go to the stove?

Farmer Elena!

Greenhorn
Inspired by @imnvs post in the Naming Chests Game Suggestion section, what is your color coding system for your storage Chests?

Me first, ooo! ooo! Me first, pick me!

Green - Veggies
Light Green - Veggies I don't like
Yellow - Forage (like Veggies, but not as good)
Red - Fruit
Orange - Fruit I don't like
Brown - Wood and Tree-derived things like Tree Seeds/Syrup/Resin, etc
Brown - Mushrooms
Dark Gray - collected minerals
Gray/White - more minerals and the other junk you donate to the Museum (bones, dolls, G.I. Joe action figures)
Blue - Fish
Light Blue - Shellfish and Roes (add columns and you'll get a spreadsheet)
Light Green - Seeds, fertilizers, soily stuff
Purple - Active chest of all current projects: usually Jade, Stairs, Quartz Ores/Bars, Tools, Coffee, Spicy Eel, Bombs, Geodes, Ginger Is. stuff, more
Pink - Loved Gifts and sometimes Odds n ends like Warp Totems

And usually some uncolored ones for expansion.

And you...?
im kinda new to the game but I use green for plants and stuff, black for stuff I get from the mines along with my extra swords, blue for fishing, and I have a standard color one in my house for furniture and extra clothes