Your storage chest color coding

Same here! If I start color coding chests that will take over my life and I will do nothing but separate items and rearrange chests! I will start saving things I don't need just to fill all the slots in chests! I will have to build sheds just to hold more chests! Actually that sounds super fun, maybe I will do that in a future playthrough.

I try to keep as few things as possible in as few chests as I can. I organize them by location instead of color, like one outside the greenhouse for seeds and fruit to process, fertilizer, hay, foraged items to craft wild seeds, produce waiting to go into seedmakers.

Right now I'm early game and have 2 chests. One outside has everything for smelting, recycling, and also hay. The one inside has everything else: building & crafting, planting, bait, oddball decor & museum rewards.

Once I get the kitchen I will keep loved gifts, buff food, and skull cavern stuff in the fridge. And when I get the greenhouse I will shift all my gardening stuff to a chest in or just outside it.

If I get junimo huts I use those to store items too. I also let animal products stay in the autocollectors waiting for processing.
Yep, if I start something that interests me I get super hyperfixated and I can't stop until I finish it to my satisfaction. I guess it's just part of having ADHD. Nice to know someone else has the same issues lol

This is really how it goes but I hoard things in Chests so I have maximal options when Tailoring.

Initially I didn't even consider Tailoring a thing. It was a non-thing so was a non-game element that didn't matter.

However one thing I've noticed about my head is that it's so dense that even though ideas initially >bonk< off of it with quite the satisfying pinging sound, the extra thick layers of bone exert their gravitational pull and slowly draw those ideas back into an orbit which decays, finally allowing the idea to alight on the surface and eventually seep deep within to the tiny inner core.

Where I ignore them until someone else points out the idea elsewhere and I go, "Oh yeah, that's kinda cool."
I didn't consider tailoring a thing either! At least I'm not the only one. Now I have like 3 entire chests full of tailoring stuff. Help me, there's so much I don't know what to do with it, but it feels like a waste to throw it away. Aahhhhhh I'm drowning in clothing heeeeeellllpppp hellllppppp

*Bleh*

Lew Zealand

Helper
I didn't consider tailoring a thing either! At least I'm not the only one. Now I have like 3 entire chests full of tailoring stuff. Help me, there's so much I don't know what to do with it, but it feels like a waste to throw it away. Aahhhhhh I'm drowning in clothing heeeeeellllpppp hellllppppp

*Bleh*
Well, if you're drowning in the already Tailored clothing items, you can store an apparent infinite number of them in a Dresser. You can pick one up from Robin or just get the Furniture Catalog and pick one out at random.

Dresser is FTW for Clothing.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Well, if you're drowning in the already Tailored clothing items, you can store an apparent infinite number of them in a Dresser. You can pick one up from Robin or just get the Furniture Catalog and pick one out at random.

Dresser is FTW for Clothing.
WHAAAAAAAAAT

Mind blown. I literally had no idea that existed. An interesting TIL, I suppose.
You can also store Rings, Hats, and Footwear in Dressers, in infinite number.

But the best part? You can pick up the Dresser and move it and it will keep its contents, like a Fish Tank. So you can bring aaaalll the things with you!

So you know all those special Rings you've been keeping, even though they're super circumstantial? You can bring them all with you in a Dresser that will only take up one inventory slot!

And all those Cowboy Hats that came out the wrong colour? They can go in there too. And this useless Small Glow Ring, and that Lead Rod, and these Thermal Boots...

If you want one early game, your best shot is actually the Traveling Cart. While Robin sells those Dressers for a minimum of 5K, if you're lucky you can pick one up from the 'Cart for 5% of that price. Crazy, right?

Now, excuse me as I pick up my gargantuan Oak Dresser and shove it in my backpack. In Skull Cavern... ;D

FairyRing

Farmer
I try to keep as few things as possible in as few chests as I can. I organize them by location instead of color, like one outside the greenhouse for seeds and fruit to process, fertilizer, hay, foraged items to craft wild seeds, produce waiting to go into seedmakers.
this is it! this is what I do, they are organized by where they are! I couldn't really find a way to define it (derp). I knew there was a method to my madness. thanks
I also have a chest to empty my pockets into real quick so I can sort later.

Same here! If I start color coding chests that will take over my life and I will do nothing but separate items and rearrange chests! I will start saving things I don't need just to fill all the slots in chests! I will have to build sheds just to hold more chests! Actually that sounds super fun, maybe I will do that in a future playthrough.
I love sorting too. This playthrough would be very cool and satisfying to see

Lew Zealand

Helper
Also, @Lew Zealand, which fruits don’t you like? Is it personal preference or you just don’t like them in game?
Yeah, it's all kind of arbitrary and definitely an in-game thing, not IRL. I guess I like the Whole Fruits and not the ones that are a... bunch of little things. I love how stupid that sounds but there it is!

So the Peaches and Apples and Mangoes are all the good Fruits and the Cranberries and Salmonberries and forage Fruits are the ones I "Don't Like". Ah, but what of Cherries? Depends on my mood... no, actually depends on how much storage space I have in each Chest. I'm a bit of a hoarder until I realize I haven't needed the Fruit for like 2 Seasons and don't have enough Kegs or Jars to process them all. So I'll sell them off for a fat profit and then start rehoarding.

Hmmm spellchecker doesn't like 'rehoarding'. Must be broken.

FairyRing

Farmer
Yeah, it's all kind of arbitrary and definitely an in-game thing, not IRL. I guess I like the Whole Fruits and not the ones that are a... bunch of little things. I love how stupid that sounds but there it is!

So the Peaches and Apples and Mangoes are all the good Fruits and the Cranberries and Salmonberries and forage Fruits are the ones I "Don't Like". Ah, but what of Cherries? Depends on my mood... no, actually depends on how much storage space I have in each Chest. I'm a bit of a hoarder until I realize I haven't needed the Fruit for like 2 Seasons and don't have enough Kegs or Jars to process them all. So I'll sell them off for a fat profit and then start rehoarding.

Hmmm spellchecker doesn't like 'rehoarding'. Must be broken.
You always crack me up, always. :abigail:

Usually, I have 5 main chests, but they are not color coded.
The ones I do have currently color coded are outside and I’m going to sell everything inside them after this year.
Red is fruits. Orange is artisan goods. Yellow is forage. Green is vegetables. Blue is a mix of artisan goods and crops. And purple is fish. And black is artifacts and minerals. I also have multiple chests on ginger island that are full of flowers.

Cuusardo

Farmer
In my craft shed:
Black: Stone and stone-related items + battery packs
Green: Planty things
Orange: Animal/monster parts/drops + trash awaiting recycler
Purple: Flowers
Yellow: Brewing supplies for pale ale, mead, and coffee
Blue-green: Fishing supplies
Grey: Sewing supplies
Blue: Roe to be aged

In my brew shed:
Purple: Fruit to make wine
Red: Fruit to make jelly

In my house:
Purple: Food (cooked)
Green: Gardening supplies
Red: Gifts
Blue: Adventuring supplies
Black: Weapons collection

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
A number of people have mentioned they use an aesthetic color coding system and not a functional one, which is how I played for years. The reasoning being very consistent for me: I didn't notice you could change Chest colors until someone here mentioned it. Same goes for painting your Farm buildings.

I am a Horse. Because I wear Horse Blinders. Seriously, it's almost weird how I don't notice things*.

stock photo of suspect

But as I now have too many Farm saves to keep track of, I need those colors to have even a chance of finding things when I switch from one to another.

* With this set of, ahem, capabilities, you can imagine how utterly mystified I was with that new v1.5 content area. I probably would have stopped playing the game if not for the Wiki. That place broke my brain.

kayden

Planter
i dont color code my chests [i do what i did playing minecraft and just. memorised what was in each chest or just open everything until i find what i need] but my friend changed them when i toured her around my farm and i haven't changed them so here is my guess since its been 3 months since she explained them to me :

pink : forage [for some reason???]
green : crops
red : geodes, bombs, ores and gems
black : other materials [wood, fiber, stone etc etc]
blue : fish, bobbers, and bait

I keep chests by my fields for quick and easy storage of each harvest so I coloured them by season or by location. I know that no chest has enough slots to store all qualities from the entire category mentioned. As I go along, I decide what needs to be sold/processed rather than stored—or I move things stored for more specific purposes to their own chest.
I completely relate to anyone saying that they would do nothing but rearrange boxes and change colour schemes. I had to make my categories as objective as possible. Also I relate to the people who need the color codes to successfully navigate across different saved farms.

-Undyed Wood: general (tools, seeds, fertilizer, farming food)
-Bright Green: spring crops
-Yellow: summer crops
-Orange: autumn crops
-Ice Blue: winter forage (plus autumn forage overflow)

I also keep a few of each regular quality forage items within their season’s box for Item Wanted quests. I have a box inside for gold/silver star items that are cheap and make good gifts (arranged by price). This and all general use boxes are regular wood color.

-White: (by coop) eggs and mayo (in barn) milk and cheese (in home) fridge overflow because I think of fridges as white but after reading the other entries I think I will change that one to light grey.

-Purple: wines, jams and crops to be processed
-Yellow: treasure chest! gems, artifacts and items going into the Bundles

-Black: mining loot and resources for building

By my crab pot pond I keep fish chests and had to reuse some colors.
-Ice Blue: river fish (even if you can also find them in lakes)
-Deep Blue: ocean fish
Turquoise: lake-only fish, ocean forage and strange fish

The chests off of my farm have not been color coded yet, so I’ve got to go and do that now. Literally right now.

And I wish I had made a separate chest for flowers. Pink chest, maybe next time.

Last edited:
Inspired by @imnvs post in the Naming Chests Game Suggestion section, what is your color coding system for your storage Chests?

Me first, ooo! ooo! Me first, pick me!

Green - Veggies
Light Green - Veggies I don't like
Yellow - Forage (like Veggies, but not as good)
Red - Fruit
Orange - Fruit I don't like
Brown - Wood and Tree-derived things like Tree Seeds/Syrup/Resin, etc
Brown - Mushrooms
Dark Gray - collected minerals
Gray/White - more minerals and the other junk you donate to the Museum (bones, dolls, G.I. Joe action figures)
Blue - Fish
Light Blue - Shellfish and Roes (add columns and you'll get a spreadsheet)
Light Green - Seeds, fertilizers, soily stuff
Purple - Active chest of all current projects: usually Jade, Stairs, Quartz Ores/Bars, Tools, Coffee, Spicy Eel, Bombs, Geodes, Ginger Is. stuff, more
Pink - Loved Gifts and sometimes Odds n ends like Warp Totems

And usually some uncolored ones for expansion.

And you...?
Wow, my color coding is nearly identical to yours, add in LRangerR’s notation of black chest for mining and that’s pretty much a complete list for me. I think I keep my warp totems in a random, strategically placed brown chest with various unused tools though.

When I have say 3 of the same chests colors for minerals (3 grey chests), I will actually sub-organize their contents according to colors of the rainbow within those chests, so maybe red/pink/orange minerals in the first grey chest; yellow, green, blue in the second gray chest; purple, brown, black etc., in the third grey chest. Then I don’t need signs, I just go right to the chest I want lol. Though this sorting may vary somewhat on what colors go into the first, second or third of the same-color chest, depending on what it is I’m sorting.

Some things I just organize by type inside chests of the same color, because that makes more sense. Two levels of color sort works good for me lol.

Last edited: