Today I learned...

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Today I learned that IRL sea urchins...

Wear things on their heads

!!!!

OK okok they don't have actual heads but they *do* put things on their tops to block the sun and to hide and lets face it....

to look damn fine.

Ah! But the story doesn't stop there now does it? Because if they're gonna be stylishly doffing shells and rocks and golf balls to every passing sea slug and mermaid, then these bashful benthic bastions of fashion need real choices. Enter: 3D printing

People made hats for them. Because people are cool and one of the coolest things that people like to do is wear hats and when people find other non-people things that prefer the odd piece of headgear, people spread that enhattened love all around. Of course even in sea urchin circles, there's always someone who just can't control themselves...

OK dude, chill. Sharing is caring.
Saw this ages ago in an article and immediately thought of stardew.

The weird connections you make when you see stuff.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Today I learned that IRL sea urchins...

Wear things on their heads

!!!!

OK okok they don't have actual heads but they *do* put things on their tops to block the sun and to hide and lets face it....

to look damn fine.

Ah! But the story doesn't stop there now does it? Because if they're gonna be stylishly doffing shells and rocks and golf balls to every passing sea slug and mermaid, then these bashful benthic bastions of fashion need real choices. Enter: 3D printing

People made hats for them. Because people are cool and one of the coolest things that people like to do is wear hats and when people find other non-people things that prefer the odd piece of headgear, people spread that enhattened love all around. Of course even in sea urchin circles, there's always someone who just can't control themselves...

OK dude, chill. Sharing is caring.

I don't mention this too much, but when 1.5 was in the works, I was the one to suggest sea urchin hats because I was so tickled about the 3d printing article :laugh: it felt like an idea that CA would find fun, so i was so happy he added that feature!!!! like it's so silly and i love it so much it has to be one of my favorite things about 1.5

nicodeux

Farmer
I really appreciate this "behind the curtains" story. Thank you for sharing and giving us hints on how CA design and gets ideas for some of the features in Stardew Valley. I'll be happy to read any story that you would have to share on this matter.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I really appreciate this "behind the curtains" story. Thank you for sharing and giving us hints on how CA design and gets ideas for some of the features in Stardew Valley. I'll be happy to read any story that you would have to share on this matter.
The main thing I've learned is that CA does read people's suggestions, but if he decides to implement them, he'll usually do something that's just so very "him", like, it's great. My favorite example for this is that there was a request for checking the trash to be more accessibility friendly (you could always interact with trashcans, but there was no or very little animation, just a sound effect) so he made the trashcan shake and have a cute animation of the lid hopping off. I don't remember if this was also the birth of the trashcan hat but the animation where the lid LAUNCHES into space is so good and like only he would think of stuff like that

nicodeux

Farmer
Today, I learned that the crane game in the movie theater holds some decoration furniture that change with the season. And now, I need them soooo badly for the room that my season-oriented farmer decorates differently with every season!!

Lew Zealand

Helper
I've played for over 1,000 hours and I just learned you get a ton of stuff from hoeing the dirt in the mines. I have no idea why it never occured to me to hoe the dirt in the mines?!
When I have a bit of time to kill in Winter, I'll also Hoe the spots in front and behind Robin's house and at the Railroad. There be Winter Roots and Yams and I think some Clay hiding in there. OK okok not a great harvest, but sometimes you need to do some things to chill.

Yes. Chill... in Winter.

OK I just left the Bathhouse but that's totally a coincidence.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I don't mention this too much, but when 1.5 was in the works, I was the one to suggest sea urchin hats because I was so tickled about the 3d printing article :laugh: it felt like an idea that CA would find fun, so i was so happy he added that feature!!!! like it's so silly and i love it so much it has to be one of my favorite things about 1.5
Someone mentioned Stardew Valley in a comment of a video about sea urchins. One thing led to another and now I love this game (even though I still consider fishing a mild form of torture).

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Indeed. And then the forest levels have different mushrooms and the odd fiddlehead fern.. :smile:

A further TIL for me (well it was last week but who's counting) is that there's apparently a 0.68% chance of finding Trimmed Lucky Purple Shorts in a random crate/barrel, so I'm on a new treasure hunt. :laugh:

(wiki link for the curious - https://stardewvalleywiki.com/The_Mines#Crates_and_Barrels)
Trimmed lucky purple shorts is my first TIL for the last while. Too bad it’s the easy one to get, I wish they’d give you a way to get infinite regular purple shorts instead. Many people don’t realize if you do anything with those they disappear.

Monochrosanity

Farmhand
After 2500+ hours of gameplay, I learned only a week or two ago that you can delete quests from your journal. Now I can refuse to ever give Lewis back his shorts without having that quest stare me in the face every time!
How did I only now find out about this feature 😭 I have so much useless clutter in my quest log

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
i am only second winter trying to get greenhouse. i can't get all the animal products so i built the coop. and got a chicken and it was sad all the time. i found out today i have to take hay out of the shute and put it on the table like thing. i though the chicken could eat out of the shute. now i got to get a big brown egg to get my green house. i need a rabbits foot so i have to add on to the coop. this is a fun game. lot better than minecraft.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
i am only second winter trying to get greenhouse. i can't get all the animal products so i built the coop. and got a chicken and it was sad all the time. i found out today i have to take hay out of the shute and put it on the table like thing. i though the chicken could eat out of the shute. now i got to get a big brown egg to get my green house. i need a rabbits foot so i have to add on to the coop. this is a fun game. lot better than minecraft.
I think this is one of the very few not so great things about this game - if you aren't familiar with Harvest Moon games, some of the things you need to do are not made obvious enough. I only realized this when playing with a friend, who had to have so many things that I took for granted explained to her. I was so used to Harvest Moon that I didn't even notice.

Save up for the final coop upgrade! It includes an auto-feeder, so the hay is automatically loaded onto the feeding trough.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
why don't you get rewards? the mission said find the axe and you will get 250g. i brought back the axe and i gave it to robin but no reward appeared. did i do something wrong?

MogBeoulve

Farmer
why don't you get rewards? the mission said find the axe and you will get 250g. i brought back the axe and i gave it to robin but no reward appeared. did i do something wrong?
Open up your journal - the little exclamation point button on the right hand side and you will have a list of quests. You can then open up completed quests and click on the reward you earned.