Today I learned...

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I was late realising you could hold down the mouse button and run through all your animals and pet them with one action, instead of clicking on each one individually. And it was only after learning that that I started doing it with planting and harvesting of crops... felt a right fool because it saves so much time. And I already knew about the click and hold to hoe and water...

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I don't know if I learned something from or about the game today, I don't really learn new things often, though when I do I treasure them, I loved the feeling of finding and incorporating something new I found into my gameplay, now I just sit and play the same things, the discovery is such a fun and beautiful thing, I miss it.

Veracious

Tiller
I've been playing for over 300hrs and I just learnt recently that holding Y & A button together on Switch when buying items it goes faster.

Apples

Farmhand
I have been playing this game for 7 months already. And yet...

Today I learned that you can store clothes in a dresser. HOW did I not know this? I have been binning all my clothes, hats, rings, headbands, polka dot bows, swords and other fashion accessories because they wouldn't stack in chests and took up too much space. They were all new or almost new! I'm worse than Alex!

What's your TIL?
eggs are a universal like with the exception of void eggs. Why eggs?

Apples

Farmhand
I have played the game for quite a while and am quite technical of a player but there are two things I recently learned that others may not know of.
Keep in mind that although I play on ios and pc, these two "tricks" are only tested true on pc.
1. You can speed up how fast the game tallies your daily earnings at the shipping bin by holding down left click while the shipping screen is rolling down the screen, this makes the shipping screen really fast which was a suprise to me when I found out.
2. You can rename animals!? Too much of an old ios player, I never even thought you could do this and so many of my animals have dank names that are cut off or auto generated and bad.

Also, just a really useful tip overall, name your next animal (or rename *wink*wink) "this little(word of choosing)"
The last one is a joke, do what you will with it, I just find it funny when the gui for the chicken or other animal comes up and it says: "this little..." looks really happy today or something along the lines of that.
A maybe *slightly more positive thing to do is to name an animal "no wonder he/she/it/etc." and if you fees them/they are happy then the gui will say: "no wonder he looks happy today" which is a nice little positive boost to your irl day I find and is pretty cute overall.
Good luck.
this little finger.

i literally named one of my chickens finger.

Veracious

Tiller
Thanks for that! When I need to buy 1667 Wheat on Switch it takes forever, 2hrs 20 min in-game for those interested. I'd heard there was a button or combo and now I know!
I got sick of waiting so I'd use a vice grip type tool on my switch to hold the button down, then walk of an do dishes or my nails, processing geodes are the worst! Over an hour yesterday, I think waiting until nearly 2000 before visiting Clint is probably a poor choice....but my nails turned out nice 😁

Hill Myna

Farmer
Today I realized that my farmer gathers crops faster when going from left to right, rather than right to left! At least it seems like it!
It's a bit of a glitch – the animation for pulling up crops plays faster when you're facing right. AFAIK it's a Switch-only thing.

Other neat Switch shortcuts:
  • Holding down A after you've poked CA will completely skip the transition up to the large "STARDEW VALLEY" screen. And since your cursor is on Load by default, you can continue holding A to quickly open your save selection menu. If you hold it down even longer, you'll hop straight into your most recently played farm. A neat timesave for those who play in short bursts!
  • You can use ZL/ZR to switch between tabs in your inventory.
  • Pressing X instead of B (or +) will take you straight to the crafting page. Since the crafting page is approximately the centre table, you can get to the Map, Collections, Options, and Exit Game tabs faster than you could normally.
  • Pressing - will sort your inventory (while in your inventory, of course). If you're not in your inventory, it will open your Journal.
  • When in a chest, L will jump your cursor to the first slot in that chest, and R will jump your cursor to the Add to Existing Stacks button.
  • Pressing B while in a chest or your inventory takes whatever you're holding directly over the bin, so be careful! It does make trashing Sap, Slime & Algae in Skull Cavern (as an example) much easier, though.
  • While shopping, ZL & ZR can be used to swap between the shop's first slot and your inventory's first slot.
  • Holding Y just after the fishing minigame has ended (and the fish is in the air coming towards you) will skip the "checking" animation, allowing you to immediately start your next cast.

qaija

Sodbuster
Ha! Today I learned that since the game is played via Steam, I can find out how long I have been playing for. I started playing on August 19th, just over two months ago. And I have played a total of 778 hours... YIKES @%^%$#(*^(&!@#@%(*^$)(@&*$)$ (that is over 12 hours a day!!!!!!)

Rhiannon

Farmer
Ha! Today I learned that since the game is played via Steam, I can find out how long I have been playing for. I started playing on August 19th, just over two months ago. And I have played a total of 778 hours... YIKES @%^%$#(*^(&!@#@%(*^$)(@&*$)$ (that is over 12 hours a day!!!!!!)
Wow! I've had the game for years and I'm at around 950. BUT I retired about a year ago and have a lot more time for gaming now.