Today I learned...

ISSsloth

Farmer
A while ago I realized that you can get zoom buttons if you go into the settings. I had seen this online, but I had assumed it was from a mod. Very useful in the mines!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
A while ago I realized that you can get zoom buttons if you go into the settings. I had seen this online, but I had assumed it was from a mod. Very useful in the mines!
Yeah, I just play on total zoomed out constantly, anything less than that and I get the urge to zoom out...

I play with a few weird settings though, the tool hit location while moving, basically no sounds, etc.

VampireCake

Rancher
TIL that using Deluxe Fertilizer gives you a chance to grow an iridium quality crop. Also TIL that iridium quality crops exist for things other than fruit trees. Well, I have a new quest and a big stash of iridium bars and sap to fuel it. :iridium:

qaija

Sodbuster
I have logged almost 1500 hours playing this game, and I still discover something new on at least a weekly basis. Since I last posted here I have learned that you can access the two hardwood stumps that are surrounded by woods in the Secret Woods. Also learned that salmonberries can be harvested from wild plants in the summer, which gives me a great energy burst during my first year growing crops when energy is a scare commodity. I learned that you can use deluxe speed grow after you have already planted a crop,which helps me harvest three Star Fruit crops. There is just so much complexity to this game, I bet even FG (Filthy Gorilla) is still learning new things!

nicodeux

Farmer
Also learned that salmonberries can be harvested from wild plants in the summer, which gives me a great energy burst during my first year growing crops when energy is a scare commodity.
It is possible that I missed something, but aren't you confusing with Salmonberry season on Spring when these berries can be harvested from bushes from Spring 15 to 18? I've never heard of salmonberries being available in Summer.

qaija

Sodbuster
It is possible that I missed something, but aren't you confusing with Salmonberry season on Spring when these berries can be harvested from bushes from Spring 15 to 18? I've never heard of salmonberries being available in Summer.
LOL My bad! I'm sure you are right and it is spring not summer.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I have logged almost 1500 hours playing this game, and I still discover something new on at least a weekly basis. Since I last posted here I have learned that you can access the two hardwood stumps that are surrounded by woods in the Secret Woods. Also learned that salmonberries can be harvested from wild plants in the summer, which gives me a great energy burst during my first year growing crops when energy is a scare commodity. I learned that you can use deluxe speed grow after you have already planted a crop,which helps me harvest three Star Fruit crops. There is just so much complexity to this game, I bet even FG (Filthy Gorilla) is still learning new things!
You slowly start to learn less and less which is sad but I recently learnt that the revived baby monsters that kill you in the witch hut if you watch the fall 26th “???” Tv channel are considered iridium bats with higher speed, attack, and health.
They also respawn whenever you reenter the hut, stack infinitely with children ‘doved’, and give 22 combat xp a kill, making it possible to get level 1-10 combat in a day.

About a month ago I learnt that you don’t have to use the escape key to put bought goods into the inventory. You can use the ‘e’ key, main difference being you don’t open task manager every 2 seconds and can hold control+shift down constantly instead of having to swap pressing them for pressing escape. Now it only takes me about 80-90 seconds to buy a full inventory of goods instead of nearly 3-4 minutes it used to take dragging stuff out of my inventory and back.

The longer you play the more niche the new stuff becomes tbh, I would never want to mass sacrifice children for combat xp and I only need to buy something 10% faster because of the sheer amount I need to buy for some challenges.

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yeah only salmonberries you can harvest in summer are from the fruit bay cave, only way to get silver and gold salmonberries too actually, in the entire game, pretty neat.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
TIL that using Deluxe Fertilizer gives you a chance to grow an iridium quality crop. Also TIL that iridium quality crops exist for things other than fruit trees. Well, I have a new quest and a big stash of iridium bars and sap to fuel it. :iridium:
Remember to try and keep your fertilizer for as long as possible, it’s actually possible to keep fertilizer year round and use it every single year on 1.5.5+

You just have to use crops that survive the seasonal change or use fiber seeds/growing forgeable seeds (not in seed form and not grown).

This is basically what to do for each season crop wise:
Spring to summer:
Any crop that dies in summer, preferably parsnips as they are cheap.
Coffee
Ancient fruit

Summer to fall:
Any crop that dies in fall, preferably something like tomato
Wheat, this is really good as you just plant it on the 25th and harvest it with a scythe on the 1st of fall, ready for your next crop.
Ancient fruit
Sunflower

Fall to winter:
Nothing regularly
(No growing forage)

Winter to spring:
Nothing regularly

Every season:
Fiber seeds (only thing you can use for fall to winter transition, otherwise anything planted just dies)

Forage “crops” that are neither grown nor seeds (2+ days in the ground) (doesn’t work for fall-winter transition though is good for winter spring, you can also just keep your fiber seeds from fall in the ground until spring and harvest them then to save effort.)

Just as a random tip too, if you are using ancient fruit you will literally have to pickaxe every crop to save fertilizer, the only fertilizer you should be using for ancient fruit is deluxe speed gro due to it being dirt cheap and nearly the best thing you can use.

Using some of these things you can keep fertilizer year round and save on the time and effort of making more fertilizer, you also don’t have to ever till new earth if you only use the same crop field.

Rhiannon

Farmer
Hint: there are more than two stumps in the secret woods. Keep looking. :wink:

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Yesterday I figured out that junimo huts and regular scarecrows work together very nicely, and so now I must redo my entire farm with this arrangement in mind, to maximise the number of cute raccoon scarecrows.

jedgell233

Greenhorn
Today I learned that you can store clothes in a dresser.
Yup! I figured it would be the case when I got the chance to buy an oak dresser knowing how clever some of the game design has been thats surprised me. Being on Android though it took me still a while how to do it hahah. So my TIL was that the label in the corner that says inventory is actually a button to open it and move stuff to the drawer :grin:.

I now just experiment with stuff if I have a hmmm moment.