I want to hear your most controversial Opinion about Stardew!

FairyRing

Farmer
Agreed 100%

• First off, I was Clint as a younger person so I have much sympathy for him.
• I'm married to Haley in my current Beach Farm save and I've mentioned many times her that she's my best spouse so far.
• I've never thought of Lewis one way or another but politicians are easy to make fun of.
• Gunther?? Yeah I don't get that.
• Demetrius does have a problem interaction with you early on in a Maru heart event but he does apologize for it pretty quickly.
• I love Pam. My first mother-in-law. But her early Penny heart event interaction is like Demetrius' and she apologizes for it as well.
• Shane never fooled me. On my first playthrough as he tries to keep you away, I just said "I see right through you, you faker and I'm talking to you every day" every time. Now I get comments about Pizza and rain making him thirsty. Living in a dreamworld.
• George is George. He and Evelyn are giving Alex a roof over his head and at least some kind of family, which is pretty damn cool of them.
nicely said.

FairyRing

Farmer
I like Demetrius. I like Pierre. I like Gunther I wish I could know him better. I've always liked Pam, George, Shane and Sebby because they are kinda cranky, being a grumpy myself. I am ok with Clint but he's not terrible, he needs someone to love him and he needs to love himself. And oh Lewis just proves that nobody is perfect. :grin: aka you don't need to give someone a mermaids pendant to "be" with them.
I didn't like Haley or Alex at first but through other peoples eyes I see them different, they are an individual that brings something different and wonderful to the Universe.
Um Morris does go into Pierres with the intention of stealing customers, that's a bit underhanded but I like Morris' hair and Joja does pollute it seems, yeah they clean it up a but.
Everyone deserves love!

Last edited:

Planter
Sebastian is just kinda whiny and complainy all over, which might be understandable, but then again, man, you are an adult, you can move out and be happy, do it. I'll build you a cabin. With a window.
I've been there, and it's not always as easy as it seems. Depression is hard to snap out of, and sometimes you're just content to wallow in negation because you don't know how to feel happy anymore. (I also heavily suspect him of being on the spectrum as well, which certainly doesn't help.) As to moving out and leaving, that's actually what he's trying to do, just waiting until he has enough money to be self-sufficient. And upping up and leaving is not always the solution, as is can be catastrophic if you're not ready enough (I legitimately nearly died when I left too early and too far).

But I'm willing to cut the guy a lot of slack since I know esactly what he's going through.

As for an actual controversial opinion, I don't really buy Haley's 8-heart event. While I do find it funny (especially the sprite work) and appreciate the effort in characterisation, Miss-Superficial-with-expensive-clothes falling in the mud and dirt and probably other stuff and just shrugging it off and laughing? Not entirely convinced that's what would really happen. Especially since she goes right back to her pouty self if you answer wrong in her 10-heart event.

CrazybobC

Sodbuster
Agreed! People hold those two up to impossible standards. And I can't even begin to explain how mad I was when I found out you couldn't marry Sandy.

And it's way more awkward for me with Demetrius because he's the only black man in town, and as a black person myself I would be a little worried if everyone coincidently hated me. Even though that is not why people dislike him, I still can't help it because he's the only black man who town he receives so much criticism for his personality and people literally want to marry his entire family just for spite.
Pierre also has this problem but at least Pierre is a jerk in the open, Demetrius is just an awkward character. Although I do understand that no one is immune to criticism, but whole "Hate Demetrius because he kind of treats is his kind of ungrateful son bad" just annoys me so much in general.
I've never Understood people hating on Demetrius. He has a charm to him. I honestly didn't know so many people disliked him until reading through people's responses tomy post. XD

CrazybobC

Sodbuster
I had a thought while reading everything about Morris/JoJa. Sam, Pam and Shane all have jobs at JoJa until you shut them out of business. NGL I'd be pretty upset if someone moved in, fixed up the building that the mayor was considering selling to the company, the mayor deciding that JoJa had to go, and losing my job on top of it all. I don't really think that the farmer is terrible per se, but the three don't get jobs again afterwards. Maybe Sam could help Pierre all stocked up, Shane could help keep the shop clean, and maybe Pam could take over for Pierre sometimes.

ApricotMarshy

Greenhorn
Especially since she goes right back to her pouty self if you answer wrong in her 10-heart event.
I see what you mean, but I would also be annoyed if someone didn't appreciate my dark room or didn't kiss me after we both know that I am in love with them

Lew Zealand

Helper
Sam and Shane have JojaJobs and yeah, Shane loses his but at least Sam gets another part-time job in the Librarcheology office with Gunther. However the Joja cashier in there isn't Pam. In fact by the point you drive Joja out of business, Pam already has another job lined up.

As a sprint champion!

Line up outside the Trailer by 8:30am and when Pam leaves to head to the Bus, get in her way, blocking her sprite's movement. She'll pause for a moment and think ( ! ) and then get ready...

She blasts off in a flurry of speed towards the Bus Stop. But she gets tired like we all do, so you need to run after her to block her way at the beginning of the Bus Stop map, and repeat the SpeedyPam™ process.

See how fast you can get Pam to the Bus Stop. Amaze your friends! Get to Skull Cavern a few in-game minutes earlier and don't forget to bring more cheese for the extra hits you're gonna take from the Flying Serpents!

Last edited:

CrazybobC

Sodbuster
Sam and Shane have JojaJobs and yeah, Shane loses his but at leash Sam gets another part-time job in the Librarcheology office with Gunther. However the Joja cashier in there isn't Pam. In fact by the point you drive Joja out of business, Pam already has another job lined up.

As a sprint champion!

Line up outside the Trailer by 8:30am and when Pam leaves to head to the Bus, get in her way, blocking her sprite's movement. She'll pause for a moment and think ( ! ) and then get ready...

She blasts off in a flurry of speed towards the Bus Stop. But she gets tired like we all do, so you need to run after her to block her way at the beginning of the Bus Stop map, and repeat the SpeedyPam™ process.

See how fast you can get Pam to the Bus Stop. Amaze your friends! Get to Skull Cavern a few in-game minutes earlier and don't forget to bring more cheese for the extra hits you're gonna take from the Flying Serpents!
Low-key forgot about Sam In the museum, and I legit forgot that pam starts driving the bus. . . :cry: :skull:

Elenna101

Farmer
Sam and Shane have JojaJobs and yeah, Shane loses his but at least Sam gets another part-time job in the Librarcheology office with Gunther. However the Joja cashier in there isn't Pam. In fact by the point you drive Joja out of business, Pam already has another job lined up.

As a sprint champion!

Alternatively, if you don't want to wander over to her trailer before going to the desert, you can place a furniture item in front of her trailer door, and at the entrance to the bus stop. Pam (and Penny, and any NPC) is physically incapable of moving furniture, and must instead sprint dramatically to their next destination. :D

(Or just trade for desert warp totems. You can get there even earlier, 3 omni geodes is super cheap given how common they are in Skull Caverns, and you even get to drive the bus by yourself on the way back!)

hexnessie

Farmer
I've been there, and it's not always as easy as it seems. Depression is hard to snap out of, and sometimes you're just content to wallow in negation because you don't know how to feel happy anymore. (I also heavily suspect him of being on the spectrum as well, which certainly doesn't help.) As to moving out and leaving, that's actually what he's trying to do, just waiting until he has enough money to be self-sufficient. And upping up and leaving is not always the solution, as is can be catastrophic if you're not ready enough (I legitimately nearly died when I left too early and too far).
You are absolutely right, plus I sympathize deeply with Sebastian who is clearly introvert and surrounded by ebullient extroverts (his Mom, Sam, Abigail...)

I meant that just to point out that DEMETRIUS is not the reason Sebastian is complaining. Sebastian just wants out, and not because Demetrius is a horrible monster to him.

Confused

Rancher
- I really think that most character hate is undeserved and only really kept on being hyped because of the fans. Now I feel bad for liking Clint, Haley, Lewis, Gunther, and Demetrius, and maybe Pam. And that's a ridiculous number of villagers to hate considering the there aren't many npcs in town

- People who like Shane but hate Haley just feels so off. Why not hate them both?

- Haley is seriously not that horrible as a person. If you exclude her initial greeting, her "Are you wearing makeup/Are those made of plastic?", and her "eww...no" response then she is literally not that mean. Those mentioned lines are just 3-4 out of the all of the other lines she has! Most of the things she says just sound like thoughts that other villagers would not say out loud. Or they just sound like she's letting words accidently fall out of her mouth.

- It kind of annoys me how people are so quick to hate on the commonly hated characters but then leave George out of it? I don't hate George but when it comes to what traits in these npcs are found attractive and what aren't, I would think that George would have more of a mob out to get him. But maybe it's because he's just an old man and they don't want to seem like jerks?

- Gunther is literally just sitting there, what the heck could you possibly hate him for? He does give you decent rewards for donating and you get a Stardrop after 60-70 items donated! You don't even have to finish the museum after that if you don't want to. It's so easy to donate ores and minerals because you get themfrom geodes. The dig spot artifacts are all easy too.
Bro I feel you. No matter what, I will always love every character in Stardew, even the not-so-popular ones, or even the over-popular ones. They're all greatly written characters, yeah they got their problems, but that's what makes them great. Don't feel bad for liking any characters or for not liking any, you ain't alone. :hlevel:

But yeah the amount of hate some characters get, like Alex? This poor boy- Getting abosulty slandered. I absolutely love Haley also, she's a fashionable woman that gets what she wants! Sure she's kinda a bish in the beginning but at least she's an fun bish. When I say I love every character, I mean I love every character, even if I wanna hate them I just can't. Like Abigal, never been a huge fan, but the fact she eats rocks makes me like her just a little bit more.