I want to hear your most controversial Opinion about Stardew!

leictreon

Tiller
- I really think that most character hate is undeserved and only really kept on being hyped because of the fans. Now I feel bad for liking Clint, Haley, Lewis, Gunther, and Demetrius, and maybe Pam. And that's a ridiculous number of villagers to hate considering the there aren't many npcs in town

- People who like Shane but hate Haley just feels so off. Why not hate them both?

- Haley is seriously not that horrible as a person. If you exclude her initial greeting, her "Are you wearing makeup/Are those made of plastic?", and her "eww...no" response then she is literally not that mean. Those mentioned lines are just 3-4 out of the all of the other lines she has! Most of the things she says just sound like thoughts that other villagers would not say out loud. Or they just sound like she's letting words accidently fall out of her mouth.

- It kind of annoys me how people are so quick to hate on the commonly hated characters but then leave George out of it? I don't hate George but when it comes to what traits in these npcs are found attractive and what aren't, I would think that George would have more of a mob out to get him. But maybe it's because he's just an old man and they don't want to seem like jerks?

- Gunther is literally just sitting there, what the heck could you possibly hate him for? He does give you decent rewards for donating and you get a Stardrop after 60-70 items donated! You don't even have to finish the museum after that if you don't want to. It's so easy to donate ores and minerals because you get themfrom geodes. The dig spot artifacts are all easy too.
I agree. I mean Clint and Demetrius aren't even THAT bad. Clint is just socially awkward/anxious and Demetrius is likely on the spectrum. If anything I wish Clint and Sandy became bachelors (even if it's just because I want to marry Sandy so bad)

LRangerR

Local Legend
I agree. I mean Clint and Demetrius aren't even THAT bad. Clint is just socially awkward/anxious and Demetrius is likely on the spectrum. If anything I wish Clint and Sandy became bachelors (even if it's just because I want to marry Sandy so bad)
I'm sure there are plenty of girls who would adopt Clint as well. He's kinda like an older version of Shane.

ApricotMarshy

Greenhorn
Agreed! People hold those two up to impossible standards. And I can't even begin to explain how mad I was when I found out you couldn't marry Sandy.

And it's way more awkward for me with Demetrius because he's the only black man in town, and as a black person myself I would be a little worried if everyone coincidently hated me. Even though that is not why people dislike him, I still can't help it because he's the only black man who town he receives so much criticism for his personality and people literally want to marry his entire family just for spite.
Pierre also has this problem but at least Pierre is a jerk in the open, Demetrius is just an awkward character. Although I do understand that no one is immune to criticism, but whole "Hate Demetrius because he kind of treats is his kind of ungrateful son bad" just annoys me so much in general.

leictreon

Tiller
Agreed! People hold those two up to impossible standards. And I can't even begin to explain how mad I was when I found out you couldn't marry Sandy.

And it's way more awkward for me with Demetrius because he's the only black man in town, and as a black person myself I would be a little worried if everyone coincidently hated me. Even though that is not why people dislike him, I still can't help it because he's the only black man who town he receives so much criticism for his personality and people literally want to marry his entire family just for spite.
Pierre also has this problem but at least Pierre is a jerk in the open, Demetrius is just an awkward character. Although I do understand that no one is immune to criticism, but whole "Hate Demetrius because he kind of treats is his kind of ungrateful son bad" just annoys me so much in general.
Fun fact: Demetrius kinda looks like me irl, or so says my brother.

And IKR? Sandy is so cute and she's flirty with you. She'd easily be my second favorite bachelorette after Penny if she WAS a bachelorette.

I'm sure there are plenty of girls who would adopt Clint as well. He's kinda like an older version of Shane.
Honestly I can't understand Clint hate if the person likes Shane. They're both similar, except Shane is less socially awkward.

Last edited:

ApricotMarshy

Greenhorn
Fun fact: Demetrius kinda looks like me irl, or so says my brother.

And IKR? Sandy is so cute and she's flirty with you. She'd easily be my second favorite bachelorette after Penny if she WAS a bachelorette.
Sandy is another one of those characters who are more mature so it doesn't feel like I'm dating child. Wish there were more mature marriage candidates. Her flirtyness is definitely appreciated!

Lew Zealand

Helper
- I really think that most character hate is undeserved and only really kept on being hyped because of the fans. Now I feel bad for liking Clint, Haley, Lewis, Gunther, and Demetrius, and maybe Pam. And that's a ridiculous number of villagers to hate considering the there aren't many npcs in town

- People who like Shane but hate Haley just feels so off. Why not hate them both?

- Haley is seriously not that horrible as a person. If you exclude her initial greeting, her "Are you wearing makeup/Are those made of plastic?", and her "eww...no" response then she is literally not that mean. Those mentioned lines are just 3-4 out of the all of the other lines she has! Most of the things she says just sound like thoughts that other villagers would not say out loud. Or they just sound like she's letting words accidently fall out of her mouth.

- It kind of annoys me how people are so quick to hate on the commonly hated characters but then leave George out of it? I don't hate George but when it comes to what traits in these npcs are found attractive and what aren't, I would think that George would have more of a mob out to get him. But maybe it's because he's just an old man and they don't want to seem like jerks?

- Gunther is literally just sitting there, what the heck could you possibly hate him for? He does give you decent rewards for donating and you get a Stardrop after 60-70 items donated! You don't even have to finish the museum after that if you don't want to. It's so easy to donate ores and minerals because you get themfrom geodes. The dig spot artifacts are all easy too.
Agreed 100%

• First off, I was Clint as a younger person so I have much sympathy for him.
• I'm married to Haley in my current Beach Farm save and I've mentioned many times her that she's my best spouse so far.
• I've never thought of Lewis one way or another but politicians are easy to make fun of.
• Gunther?? Yeah I don't get that.
• Demetrius does have a problem interaction with you early on in a Maru heart event but he does apologize for it pretty quickly.
• I love Pam. My first mother-in-law. But her early Penny heart event interaction is like Demetrius' and she apologizes for it as well.
• Shane never fooled me. On my first playthrough as he tries to keep you away, I just said "I see right through you, you faker and I'm talking to you every day" every time. Now I get comments about Pizza and rain making him thirsty. Living in a dreamworld.
• George is George. He and Evelyn are giving Alex a roof over his head and at least some kind of family, which is pretty damn cool of them.

hexnessie

Farmer
,but whole "Hate Demetrius because he kind of treats is his kind of ungrateful son bad" just annoys me so much in general.
YES! Plus Robin doesn't really treat Maru like anything at all -- you'd think she doesn't even have a daughter! Demetrius and Robin are just really badly coupled. Robin doesn't want to understand Demetrius' neurodiversity and says he's "not normal" to his face, and Demetrius withdraws more and more into his world of research and only has good relations with his likely-minded daughter. But Demetrius at least TRIES to be a parent to his step-son (see the manual in his room!)

Sebastian is just kinda whiny and complainy all over, which might be understandable, but then again, man, you are an adult, you can move out and be happy, do it. I'll build you a cabin. With a window.

Just divorce already, kick Sebastian out, marry Robin and Leah, and get Demetrius to live alone and happy.

hexnessie

Farmer
Ha, that one I can answer (for myself obviously, not for everybody).

You see, Shane & George hate EVERYBODY. They are misanthropes, they push ALL people away, they don't single anyone out.

Haley, now - Haley specifically doesn't like me. I'm the one that's not good enough for her. Other, more fashionably dressed people, people who give better gifts or are better at sports or are generally the fun stylish jock type - those are fine. It's ME that's beneath Little Miss Perfect.

This is really offputting at first. And I know it's supposed to be a teenaged thing - Sam and Abigail give a similar vibe, although to a lesser extent. But I still only ever leveled Haley up to 8 hearts once and never bothered again. Yeah, her 8-heart event is very cute, but the rest of the interactions make me feel like the unpopular kid in high school all over again - no, thanks!

Pluffy

Planter
People hate Gunther? Where do you see this I literally never noticed, just the opposite really. But yes I agree, certain hatred for characters really messes with me , especially with Lewis even though he's not one of my my most favorites, I think it's because with the others I kind of see WHY, or I find a small section who like them, but it's really hard to find with Lewis, and as I stated before, apart from I think they are overthinking it.

ApricotMarshy

Greenhorn
Just divorce already, kick Sebastian out, marry Robin and Leah, and get Demetrius to live alone and happy.
Demetrius would absolutely thrive on his own. He would be much better as a s ingle dad to Maru I bet.
Sometimes I like to imagine that he only married Robin because he felt that it was expected of him to get married.

ApricotMarshy

Greenhorn
People hate Gunther? Where do you see this I literally never noticed, just the opposite really. But yes I agree, certain hatred for characters really messes with me , especially with Lewis even though he's not one of my my most favorites, I think it's because with the others I kind of see WHY, or I find a small section who like them, but it's really hard to find with Lewis, and as I stated before, apart from I think they are overthinking it.
With Lewis, they are literally overthinking it, agreed.

People hate Gunther? Where do you see this I literally never noticed, just the opposite really.
I see it on those youtube character analysis videos, then people trash in in the comments. I also see a lot of hate on him on reddit.

Last edited:

Pluffy

Planter
I see it on those youtube character analysis videos, then people trash in in the comments. I also see a lot of hate on him on reddit.
Okay I don't watch youtube videso (yet) but I can see it maybe theorizing, yeah reddit is pretty bad (not as bad as tumbr though), still never really noticed but I can look out for it.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
With Lewis, they are literally overthinking it, agreed.

Honestly, YT theory videos are stealing your valuable time. There are great things on YT but game narrative (and even many movie narrative) opinion videos are stealing your life from you. Same goes for those topics on Reddit. Run away.

Far away!

Odin

Staff member

I definitely agree that too many characters get disliked for some ultimately minor reasons.

I will say the only thing I've seen people annoyed with Gunther for is to jokingly blame him for allowing everything in the museum to disappear, but otherwise I haven't seen a lot of people dislike him. I will admit I don't watch a lot of YouTube videos about the game though, which is where you mentioned seeing this the most.