1.5.5 PC Performance Survey -- Please help us out!

Cat1982

Newcomer
Hi

I believe that I have rooted my stuttering issues down to Smapi! When I run vanilla, I get no stuttering issues, when I tested it with just Smapi, the stuttering started…game stutters/freezes badly at 6.10 in the morning and intermittent stutters throughout the day and then 7.10 pm at night another big stutter/freeze…whilst the stuttering does start with just Smapi loaded, it does get worse when you add mods! The only way I can really play with mods and cut the stuttering down is if I uncheck CPU 0, that doesn’t get rid of all stutter but seems to limit the impact of them. Also the FPS drops are big, I can go from 60 straight to 1 FPS and then back to 60.

System Specs:
Microsoft Windows 10 pro
1x 1920x1080 monitor with 60 hz refresh rate
Nvidia GeForce gtx 750 ti
Intel core i7-3770 3.40GHz
32 GB RAM

All other methods that have been suggested I have tried, unchecking the CPU 0 is the only thing that limits the stutter/ freezing.

Attachments

Mega_pixel

Newcomer
I am using an HP Stream 14 on windows 10 with a Celeron CPU and integrated graphics
the game even on 1.5.6 is still doing the thing where the audio freaks and the game starts to chug there is also no rain sounds when it's not broken (yes all my sound is up) even without smapi
everything was fine until 1.5.5
I usually play with CJB Cheats, CJB Item spawner, 2 content patcher mods, tractor mod, and UI info suite 2 but as I said even with smapi uninstalled it does the same thing
the last time I played before 1.5.5 was a few days before it came out
turning v-sync off made me want to vomit so not going to do that anymore, zooming in fixed some of the lag but I've played zoomed out 75% and UI scale 75% since around 1.5 when I got the game and it did nothing about the audio, and going into fullscreen had a huge lag spike that lasted around 10 seconds, and it's late so I'm not going to do the last one until tomorrow
20211221234350_1.jpg

ascii7

Sodbuster
1) Please give as much detail as you can about your hardware set up. (See note 1 below)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)​
3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5​
8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4​
Radeon Pro 570 4 GB​
macOS Monterey 12.1​

2) Have you experienced any performance issues while playing Stardew Valley? Please describe exactly what you've experienced. (See note 2 below)
I think "micro-stuttering" may be the best fit. It comes in spurts. One minute it's fine, the next minute the video stutters. This cycle repeats over and over during each game session.​

3) If you answered yes to 2, did the issues only appear after the 1.5.5 patch, or were they present before?
Not 100 % sure, but I think it appeared with macOS Monterey 12.0, with 12.1 not helping.​
I think patch 1.5 was ok, but again not 100 % sure.​

4) Are you playing with mods? If so, which mods?
No​

5) Before the 1.5.5 patch came out, when was the last time you played Stardew Valley?
Nearly every day since before 1.5 came out.​

6) If you are experiencing performance issues, please try the troubleshooting steps below. Did any of them help?
None of the steps helped. Compatibility mode was worse.​
It looks like 1.5.6 has fixed the stuttering video problem for me. It makes the game much more enjoyable.

dundalol

Sodbuster
i5 4570k
16 GB RAM
GTX960
Windows 10 21h2
No mods

Before 1.5.5 it was perfect, no issues at all. After 1.5.5 I get a ton of screen tearing which makes it very annoying. Also the screenshots taken need a lot of time to get saved. With the compatibility branch all this gets solved and works as good as before 1.5.5.

Vsync doesnt help at all. I always play in full screen. I also play at zoom level 0.65 by editing the save file.

ejdi

Newcomer
No issues without smapi. Random stuttering every few seconds with smapi. Stuttering always manifests during "coreclr.dll!coreclr_initialize" thread calls .

My setup:
Ryzen 5 3600
32 GB Ram
GTX 970
Windows 11

Playing sv 1.5.6 with smapi 3.13.2

farmie

Newcomer
1) Please give as much detail as you can about your hardware set up. (See note 1 below)
64 bit windows 11. jumper EZbook X4 (laptop)
CPU: Intel Celeron N4100 quad-core 2.4GHz
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 600
RAM: 4GB DDR4L
Screen: 1920 x 1080 resolution
Storage: 128GB SSD

2) Have you experienced any performance issues while playing Stardew Valley? Please describe exactly what you've experienced. (See note 2 below)
Yes. I would play for a while, on single player until like 11am, then the frame rate would drop dramatically. Unplayable in most cases. Also happened in multiplayer which is where I first discovered it, not as host.

3) If you answered yes to 2, did the issues only appear after the 1.5.5 patch, or were they present before?
Only present after 1.5.5 patch. Never had a problem running stardew before.

Vanilla.

5) Before the 1.5.5 patch came out, when was the last time you played Stardew Valley?
Probably a month or less before. Play fairly regularly.

6) If you are experiencing performance issues, please try the troubleshooting steps below. Did any of them help?
SOLVED by setting all volume options off. Didn't experience any frame drops after doing this, windowed and Vsync toggling didn't effect it.

ringox

Greenhorn
Here all problem i found
Maingame : Vanilla
No FPS drop problem but have Cursor moving to Top Left on screen by itself
Fix it by go Option > Gamepad mode change to 'Force Disable'.

Mod : Content Patcher Animations 1.1.14
Current Version made Fps drop not MainGame because i try to fix fps drop problem today.

P.S. My English isn't good hope you guys understand

Tashatrophe

Greenhorn
1) OS - Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18363 x64
Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3893Mhz
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (in SLI)
Memory - 32 GB
Monitors - 2 Samsung branded 1920x1080 monitors with refresh rate of 60Hz

2) Starting the evening of the 12/24, I started experiencing stuttering when walking and overall
hiccups in the framerate while playing. This was not something I experienced before. Upon launching the game, the framerate will
drop and the game will appear to stutter approximately every 2-4 seconds. This starts at the SDV home screen and continues into
the Load Game menu and the game itself, where the character appears to stutter when walking. Cut scenes are also affected (cut
scene with Clint giving furnace blueprints stutters).

3) For me, I did not experience the issue on the 1.5.5 patch, and it only happened on 1.5.6 after
playing for a few hours. I got to day 5 of year 1 of a new save without experiencing the stuttering.

4) I am playing modded. Mostly SVE with some visual mods added. I can provide a full list if needed.
However, during my troubleshooting I completely uninstalled Stardew Valley, including SMAPI and mods
and reinstalled from Steam. I launched vanilla SDV and experienced the same stuttering issue immediately
from the SDV main menu.

5) I played on 11/24, before 1.5.5, and did not experience the issue.

6) I toggled V-Sync (which is normally on for me). No change.
Zoom is always set to the default of 100.
Fullscreen mode was toggled. No change.
Resolution is set to 1920x1080, which is the native resolution of my monitors.
I have an AMD processor, so no integrated graphics.

I also tried the following:
Muting the sound from the in-game menu. No change.
Removing all mods but SMAPI. No change.
Removing all mods AND SMAPI. No change.
Uninstalling SDV completely and reinstalling. Ran vanilla. Still stuttering.
Started a new save file. Stuttering present.
Unchecked CPU 0 under affinity. Still stuttering.
Set priority in the Task Manager to Realtime. Still stuttering.

Attachments

K3vin

Tiller
1) OS - Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18363 x64
Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3893Mhz
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (in SLI)
Memory - 32 GB
Monitors - 2 Samsung branded 1920x1080 monitors with refresh rate of 60Hz

2) Starting the evening of the 12/24, I started experiencing stuttering when walking and overall
hiccups in the framerate while playing. This was not something I experienced before. Upon launching the game, the framerate will
drop and the game will appear to stutter approximately every 2-4 seconds. This starts at the SDV home screen and continues into
the Load Game menu and the game itself, where the character appears to stutter when walking. Cut scenes are also affected (cut
scene with Clint giving furnace blueprints stutters).

3) For me, I did not experience the issue on the 1.5.5 patch, and it only happened on 1.5.6 after
playing for a few hours. I got to day 5 of year 1 of a new save without experiencing the stuttering.

4) I am playing modded. Mostly SVE with some visual mods added. I can provide a full list if needed.
However, during my troubleshooting I completely uninstalled Stardew Valley, including SMAPI and mods
and reinstalled from Steam. I launched vanilla SDV and experienced the same stuttering issue immediately
from the SDV main menu.

5) I played on 11/24, before 1.5.5, and did not experience the issue.

6) I toggled V-Sync (which is normally on for me). No change.
Zoom is always set to the default of 100.
Fullscreen mode was toggled. No change.
Resolution is set to 1920x1080, which is the native resolution of my monitors.
I have an AMD processor, so no integrated graphics.

I also tried the following:
Muting the sound from the in-game menu. No change.
Removing all mods but SMAPI. No change.
Removing all mods AND SMAPI. No change.
Uninstalling SDV completely and reinstalling. Ran vanilla. Still stuttering.
Started a new save file. Stuttering present.
Unchecked CPU 0 under affinity. Still stuttering.
Set priority in the Task Manager to Realtime. Still stuttering.
i have the same issues but my pc is a low end pc but i never had any issues with the game before the 1.5.5 update, before the 1.5.5 it was perfect, no issues at all
1640584993232.png

elesea

Farmhand
300Hz refresh rate? That seems insane.
Here's another thing to try: Verify that your game is stuttering. Then, open "Device Manager", expand the "display adapters" section, and then right click and disable the intel UHD graphics. The screen might go black for a moment. When it comes back, you can re-enable it. Does the stuttering go away?
I honestly have no idea how to set these things up. It just came that way and I never changed it. I don't know what normal is supposed to be. In life either if I'm honest.

Pathoschild helped me identify the problem and it may be the solution for several people using Mods: Content Patcher Animations was causing massive Framerate Issues. Pathoschild has recently updated CPA and everything is now running super smooth again.

Apologies for the late reply - my dog has been extremely ill and there was Christmas and I just let everything go for a bit.

Thank you very much for replying to me personally. Thank you also for creating a game that is warm and safe and that enriches my life every day.

Wishing you warmth, peace and happiness for Christmas, and only the very best for the New Year.

Tashatrophe

Greenhorn
I honestly have no idea how to set these things up. It just came that way and I never changed it. I don't know what normal is supposed to be. In life either if I'm honest.

Pathoschild helped me identify the problem and it may be the solution for several people using Mods: Content Patcher Animations was causing massive Framerate Issues. Pathoschild has recently updated CPA and everything is now running super smooth again.

Apologies for the late reply - my dog has been extremely ill and there was Christmas and I just let everything go for a bit.

Thank you very much for replying to me personally. Thank you also for creating a game that is warm and safe and that enriches my life every day.

Wishing you warmth, peace and happiness for Christmas, and only the very best for the New Year.
I'm glad that the update to the Content Patcher mod resolved your issue. I am running on all current versions of the mods that I use, including the most recent Content Patcher mod, and I am still experiencing the stuttering. Even my vanilla SDV stutters, so I know that the cause of mine isn't related to either SMAPI or mods.

I know that I am behind in Windows updates, so currently working on getting my Windows up to date (updates keep failing), to see if that works. I am also working on acquiring a different video card to test to see if mine is hardware related, as my 980s are approaching 7 years old now and degradation of performance could be a cause. However, I know that SDV isn't a GPU resource heavy game (averages 13% GPU usage when game is running), so I doubt that is the issue. On that note, I will be looking at my GPU drivers as well.

Tashatrophe

Greenhorn
Update: I updated my video and sound drivers and the issue seems to have resolved itself. I did system tests to see if I was experiencing other issues and I was noticing some definite slowness is other activities on my PC. I only have about an hour of play on the updated drivers but have noticed no stuttering.

Saturnaliia

Farmhand
Hi! Hopefully this will be useful - I took a video to show the lag (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2_NTpExbdw). No need to watch it all, and I've included time stamps in the description.

1640974350274.png

Monitors:
1. 2560 x 1440 / 240Hz / Samsung G7
2. 1600 x 900 / 60 Hz / Dell P2018H
3. 1600 x 900 / 60 Hz / Dell P2018H

PC:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: MSI 3080 Gaming Trio
Game & SMAPI are saved on a Corsair Force MP600 M.2 SSD
Ram: 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR4 3200MHz C16)
Windows 10

Yes. Most often I experience tiny sub-second lags, but sometimes there are harder 1 sec - 2 sec lags. No crashing or any other weirdness. Single player only.
Lags are most noticeable when riding the horse (probably due to the controller vibration - it causes the controller to keep vibrating until the lag is done), combat (monsters can get hits in while lag is happening and I'm terrible at combat anyway), and fishing (if I am pressing A when the lag happens, the bobber shoots all the way to the top when the lag ends. Or, if I'm not pressing it, the bobber sinks until the lag is finished). I get the harder lags during these 3 activities.

Only after the 1.5.5 patch.

Yes:
1640974749513.png

July/August 2021

1) Try toggling V-Sync: I originally had V-Sync on, so tried both turning it off and turning it back on. No difference.
2) Try playing at zoom level 100 (Default zoom): This is how I play already.
3) Try playing in "Fullscreen" mode, try selecting a lower resolution: Neither worked, unfortunately!
4) Try switching to the "compatibility" branch on Steam: This caused SMAPI to load for 1 second when starting up then crash immediately. :(

I also tried this:
- I moved all mods to the Desktop and relaunched SMAPI with the exact same lag issues. I then opened the regular Stardew Valley launcher and didn't experience lag.
- I muted all music & sounds to no effect
- I reinstalled SMAPI to no effect
- Windows, SDV, and SMAPI are all completely updated

Last edited:
So, I am doing an update and I would love to uninstall the 1.5.5 update it has messed up my game so badly! It is lagging micro stuttering is obnoxious and is actually getting worse! Sure, I am running on a basic laptop and using the default xbox game bar to record but I did not have any problems before the update. If this keeps up, I may need to stop playing the game and my let's play series on this game! It's not fun with this problem and nothing I do to fix it works even in the slightest! The only plus side is everything that I did has made the 3D game I run a lot smoother and more enjoyable! I have only played SDV without mods since the update.

Is there something that is not already listed to fix this problem? I don't know what the update was supposed to do, but what it is doing is terrible! You can see the lag on my videos on youtube. The lag is present with and without my recording software going and for some reason I am having difficulties recording now! After the update I will hit to record, and the software shuts down after 1 sec and this happens every single time! It only does this with SDV and may not seem like a big deal, but it shut the software down during the saving process too. This means I can only ever record 1 day at a time now where I used to have a lot of freedom with the recording.

So, I am doing an update and I would love to uninstall the 1.5.5 update it has messed up my game so badly! It is lagging micro stuttering is obnoxious and is actually getting worse! Sure, I am running on a basic laptop and using the default xbox game bar to record but I did not have any problems before the update. If this keeps up, I may need to stop playing the game and my let's play series on this game! It's not fun with this problem and nothing I do to fix it works even in the slightest! The only plus side is everything that I did has made the 3D game I run a lot smoother and more enjoyable! I have only played SDV without mods since the update.

Is there something that is not already listed to fix this problem? I don't know what the update was supposed to do, but what it is doing is terrible! You can see the lag on my videos on youtube. The lag is present with and without my recording software going and for some reason I am having difficulties recording now! After the update I will hit to record, and the software shuts down after 1 sec and this happens every single time! It only does this with SDV and may not seem like a big deal, but it shut the software down during the saving process too. This means I can only ever record 1 day at a time now where I used to have a lot of freedom with the recording.
What is your YT channel? Just curious.

Flyingcatphillips

I am going to try switching in and out of Fullscreen as well as lowering the resolution and turning on and off the V-sync so far it has promising ish results. But, until I record there is no way to know for sure if it will work. 🤔 Fingers crossed. I really just want it to go back to what I had before 1.5.5 it ran so smoothly. My husband watched a newer video and he said that the lag is like watching a train wreck!

Symbiosi

Newcomer
1) Please give as much detail as you can about your hardware set up.
Game version: 1.5.6
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCle/SSE2
Running SMAPI

2) Have you experienced any performance issues while playing Stardew Valley? Please describe exactly what you've experienced.
I have experienced constant lag spikes since 1.5.5 - it doesn't just happen when the times changes in game, but about every 3-5 seconds. I see my FPS drop from 60 to 53 during this time. It happens anywhere - on my farm, in the mines, walking around town, anywhere.

Only after 1.5.5, and still with 1.5.6

Yes, I use 109 mods but before this patch I never had any issues.

The day before the patch. I used to play daily until this patch, now the game is unbearable with the lag spikes.

None helped , I tried all of them.

snakeinthemud

Newcomer
1) Please give as much detail as you can about your hardware set up.
Mine: Desktop tower, i7-6700 processor, Windows 10, 32GB ram, 3 monitors (HP Pavillion 22xi) 1920x1080, Graphics: NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 - SMAPI + mods
My Husband's: Desktop tower, i7-6700 processor, Windows 10, 32GB ram, 3 monitors (varies in brand and resolution), Graphics: NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 - no SMAPI/mods
My Daughter's: EVOO Gaming Laptop, i7-9750H processor, Windows 11, 16GB ram, 1920x1080 resolution, Graphics: Geforce GTX 1660ti - SMAPI + mods

I host a multiplayer game for my family. I experience slight, sporadic stutter throughout gameplay, my husband and daughter experience much heavier stutter and lag, disconnects, and difficulties reconnecting during gameplay.

My daughter has had issues with getting occasionally disconnected before, but none of the other issues. My husband and I had zero performance issues before this update.

Me: Chests anywhere 1.21.1, Content Patcher 1.24.7, UI Info Suite 2.2.0, CJB Cheats Menu 1.29.3 - SMAPI 3.12.7 (all mods load cleanly with no errors and have been updated)
Husband: None
Daughter: Better Ranching, Billboard Anywhere, Canon Friendly Dialogue Expression, Chests Anywhere, Content Patcher, Friends Forever, Gift Taste Helper, Mal's Seb Expansion Mod, NPC Map Locations, Part of the Community, Pet Interaction, Responsible Marnie

We play our multiplayer game every 2 weeks or so, but have stopped due to severe performance issues. Issues started in 1.5.5 and have continued through 1.5.6

6) If you are experiencing performance issues, please try the troubleshooting steps below. Did any of them help? No. Disabling v-sync caused screen tear for all users, all other suggestions had no noticeable effect.

And when trying these steps, we also tried combinations with my mods off/no SMAPI (as host), with no noticeable change in terms of lag and performance. In all cases, performance was worst when we were in areas of high population mine/skull cavern/volcano whether together or each in a separate character-rich area. While my connection as the host never dropped, they both experienced frequent lag and multiple disconnections throughout a game day.

I hope all this somehow helps - the game's become impossible to enjoy in a multiplayer environment :(

Attachments

canariocampeon

Greenhorn
1) Please give as much detail as you can about your hardware setup. (See note 1 below)

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362)
Monitor: 1 of 15.6" HD WideScreen (1366x768)
RAM: 4GB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Now the game takes forever to launch also when I pic a game the loading screen (but the music is played normally). Also, it freezes a few minutes when I enter the buildings and the menu.

The issues appeared after the 1.5.5 patch, never before I have single trouble with the game :'(

No

the week before the patch 2 or 3 times maybe

No :(