1.5 Update Reactions Thread

Luceat

Planter
I'm so hyped :) Can't wait for 2021(cauz i'm playing on console).

Got one little question: Do anyone know, if theres a thing/machine that autograbb items out of christalerium or kegs etc? I know there's a new auto-hopper, that puts items in other things, but what about the other direction?

I like the new content shown in the changelog, but some features like local splitscreen seem kind of buggy and not very well implemented right now (it's a real bummer for me). I have confidence that it will be fixed and improved, but right now, my personal reaction to 1.5 isn't too kind.

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
I like the new content shown in the changelog, but some features like local splitscreen seem kind of buggy and not very well implemented right now (it's a real bummer for me). I have confidence that it will be fixed and improved, but right now, my personal reaction to 1.5 isn't too kind.
How's it buggy for you?

imnvs

Local Legend
Hold. Up. I can't put mini-fridges in at the new place on Ginger Island??? And don't tell me there's no electricity. There's a fridge there, and I have extension cords.

How's it buggy for you?
Well, as I mentioned "splitscreen", for the bugs take a look at the bug section. And for the "not well implemented"-part, I started a thread. There are also some similar threads regarding MP.

But again, I can wait for fixes and will do so. I understand that it has been the biggest update yet, so it is fine, even if I wish for a better state of the game and 1.5.😇

Drullo321

Sodbuster
The most hillarious thing about the 1.5 update is the comparisson to AAA company releases, e.g. Cyberpunk 2077. While the last one is probably very buggy, unstable, got savegame corruption, got removed from PS store because of its state and then we have Stardew Valley, which get constant free and mostly bug free game updates for years and while 1.4 wasn't a small update itself, 1.5 is more of the size of a medium DLC. And it's free.
Sure, 1.5 isn't bugfree either but i think CA wanted it to release before christmas to just give us a good time. I appreciate that.

It is just funny to google about Stardew Valley 1.5 and compare the positive results with Cyberpunk 2077 negative results :laugh:

geekgirl101

Cowpoke
I was super excited to hear about the new farm until I heard you can't put sprinklers on it...what the heck? I really was looking forward to playing on this map but no way can I play it in single player if I want to grow crops there because I'll be using all my time watering and dying of low energy, so that's really let me down hard.

Drullo321

Sodbuster
That is only partially true. You can't place sprinklers on sand but a) there is a normal 10x20 area where you can use sprinklers and b) there are possibilities added with 1.5.0 with help circumventing this issue I won't spoiler them (again). This farm is designed with a change of playstyle and should not be played as a first or even second farm. Additionally there is alot of room and also initially nice sets of grass which allow for great use of coops, barns. It isn't intended to place hundreds of crops on pure sand and then water them manually with your water can.

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
In the advanced settings options, what does random seed mean?
Specifically:
  • Random Seed (text box)
The seed used to randomize the game world

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
In the advanced settings options, what does random seed mean?
Specifically:
  • Random Seed (text box)
The seed used to randomize the game world
A seed is just the world's ID basically, it determines what spawns in your game, in what order, etc. and is why each game is different when you start a new save!

So if you choose a random seed then it's putting in random numbers

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
A seed is just the world's ID basically, it determines what spawns in your game, in what order, etc. and is why each game is different when you start a new save!

So if you choose a random seed then it's putting in random numbers
I am still not sure of how that works, so no wonder it's under adavanced :D

Elenna101

Farmer
I am still not sure of how that works, so no wonder it's under adavanced :D
It's all based on how random number generation in computers works.

Basically, computers always follow the programming rules, they can't do anything actually random. So when the game needs to do something random, like pick which fish you'll get or where the ladders are in the mines, what it does it take some starting number and apply a bunch of math formulas to it, so that the resulting number it spits out seems random if you don't know what it's doing. This process is called "random number generation", or RNG.

So when you start a new file, it gets assigned a 9-digit number called the seed. Then this number is used as the starting point for the RNG calculation. (Well, actually it's usually that number combined with a few other things, like the in-game day, the number of steps you've taken in game, or the coordinates of the rock you're breaking. So the actual starting number for the RNG is different each time, it's not just the seed number every time. But the seed is part of it.) By the way, on PC, you can see the seed for your game by going to %appdata% in File Explorer, and then going to Stardew Valley/Saves. This will show all your save files. The number in each folder name is the seed number.

This means that if you're given the seed number for a game, and if you know exactly what the RNG is doing, you can predict a lot of things about it. For example, you can predict what will come out of geodes, or what the travelling cart will sell on each day. This is too complicated to do by hand (or at least I don't know how), but a lot of this is shown on the website "Stardew Predictor", although the author of that website seems to have disappeared so I don't know if it will be updated for 1.5.

Normally, the seed is picked based on the time when you create the save file. With this tool, you can manually set the seed to whatever you want. This is not super useful in most cases, but it's good for if you're having a competition with a friend and you want to get the same stuff in the cart, geodes, etc. It's also good if you know a certain seed is going to give you stuff you want (e.g. maybe you want some CC items to show up in the cart early).

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
It's all based on how random number generation in computers works.

Basically, computers always follow the programming rules, they can't do anything actually random. So when the game needs to do something random, like pick which fish you'll get or where the ladders are in the mines, what it does it take some starting number and apply a bunch of math formulas to it, so that the resulting number it spits out seems random if you don't know what it's doing. This process is called "random number generation", or RNG.

So when you start a new file, it gets assigned a 9-digit number called the seed. Then this number is used as the starting point for the RNG calculation. (Well, actually it's usually that number combined with a few other things, like the in-game day, the number of steps you've taken in game, or the coordinates of the rock you're breaking. So the actual starting number for the RNG is different each time, it's not just the seed number every time. But the seed is part of it.) By the way, on PC, you can see the seed for your game by going to %appdata% in File Explorer, and then going to Stardew Valley/Saves. This will show all your save files. The number in each folder name is the seed number.

This means that if you're given the seed number for a game, and if you know exactly what the RNG is doing, you can predict a lot of things about it. For example, you can predict what will come out of geodes, or what the travelling cart will sell on each day. This is too complicated to do by hand (or at least I don't know how), but a lot of this is shown on the website "Stardew Predictor", although the author of that website seems to have disappeared so I don't know if it will be updated for 1.5.

Normally, the seed is picked based on the time when you create the save file. With this tool, you can manually set the seed to whatever you want. This is not super useful in most cases, but it's good for if you're having a competition with a friend and you want to get the same stuff in the cart, geodes, etc. It's also good if you know a certain seed is going to give you stuff you want (e.g. maybe you want some CC items to show up in the cart early).
Thanks for the reply! That is definitely a lot of information.