1.5 Update Reactions Thread

Is there a way to avoid ending up in a barn or shed when just trying to speedily pick up or harvest items? It would be great if you only entered a door if you were actually facing it. It is very frustrating. I've never considered a mod just because of the principle of the challenge regardless of my ability, but I would certainly use one now if it kept you from arbitrarily entering a building by going by speed picking or harvesting. But, everything else is amazing. It may be the best game I've ever played. For a reference, I started gaming with an Atari. So, that gives you an idea of the impression this game has made on me. 300 hours + in only a month...lol I think I'm starting to atrophy from the waist down....

william

Newcomer
Hello
Why can't I use sprinkler on the beach, even after weeding? Only can on the grass, but I don't have too much grass to plant my seeds...

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
but a lot of this is shown on the website "Stardew Predictor", although the author of that website seems to have disappeared so I don't know if it will be updated for 1.5.
I really like your post! I just wanted to reply to this part and say that MouseyPounds (the person who made the predictor) is a very active member of the community and the predictor is indeed updated for 1.5!

Elenna101

Farmer
I really like your post! I just wanted to reply to this part and say that MouseyPounds (the person who made the predictor) is a very active member of the community and the predictor is indeed updated for 1.5!

Oh, nice! I must have missed their posts then - they haven't been responding to comments on the old Stardew forums, and I didn't see them on these forums, so I assumed they had vanished. Glad to know they're still around!

Cuusardo

Farmer
The description for the new hopper item is incredibly vague. I'm not sure exactly what its function is and how it's useful.

Drullo321

Sodbuster
I don't want to be harsh but in its current state it is totally useless. You place it behind a crafting station which requires input, e.g. a smelter, a keg, etc. The hopper itself has a storage, there you put the matching items into it, e.g. smelter->coal and ore, keg->any fruit or vegetable. Then the machine gets autofilled when it is empty, thats it. You still have to remove finished products yourself, that is why i say it is useless.
You could argue, that you will save time. Yes, if you only look at the exact game mechanic. On the contrary you waste additional time by extra sorting your items (unfavorable because you have to count your coal) plus you have to invest time in gathering the crafting materials. One of the, the radioactive ore/bar isn't common and the only reliable way to aquire it is a specific quest for the skull cavern.

Cuusardo

Farmer
You could argue, that you will save time. Yes, if you only look at the exact game mechanic. On the contrary you waste additional time by extra sorting your items (unfavorable because you have to count your coal) plus you have to invest time in gathering the crafting materials.
It also takes up space, which means less room for things like kegs. And how do you know when everything in the hopper has been crafted? Does it give any indicator or do you simply have to check it every so often?

Widget

Sodbuster
I've been playing since the 1.5 update came out and have found very very few new things except for the phenomenon described in the spoiler, and I don't know what to do about it! I was fishing in one of the ponds on my farm, and two parallel rods, tight side-by-side, came up out of the water. They moved around from place to place. I tried to "fish" them and got no where. Any idea what these are and what we are supposed to do about them? I have built the movie theater and a new house for Pam, I've finished the Community Center. I'm not a newbie, but I'm at a loss here. I don't know what to do. If someone could give me a hint, I would appreciate it! Just a hint.

Odin

Staff member
@Widget I actually haven't incountered what you're referring to so I can't help with that. However, here's how to get started with a few of the bigger new things in 1.5:
  • Go talk to Robin, there's a number of new things available at the Carpenter's shop, including a new "community upgrade", some additional options for the farm house, and the ability to paint some of the farm buildings.
  • Visit Willy at his shop sometime, or work on increasing your friendship with him.
  • If you've visited town since the update you should have seen this, but there's a new quest board in town below Lewis' house. These quests are more difficult, but offer some great rewards!

Reactions: Maw

mouse

Farmer
@Widget Just to make check, are you playing with any mods? I'm not sure what you described offhand except that it sounds a little like broken sprites, which are often caused by out of date mods (especially the kind that overwrite files in the game's content folder). Sorry if it's not applicable here, but mentioning just in case as old mods can revert a lot of new content :)

(Instructions for resetting your content files if needed!)

Cuusardo

Farmer
Minor gripe:

I always keep my animals separate from my crops. Now that ducks can swim in water, sometimes they cross the watery borders of my animal pastures and hang out in my garden plots. One of my ducks insisted on standing on the one last tilled spot that I was trying to plant seeds in, and I can't plant anything when it's on that square. Every time it moved and I went to plant the seed there, it would almost immediately move right back into that spot I was trying to plant in, preventing me from planting again! It would be nice if you could encourage ducks to move out of your way the way that you can with your farm cat/dog.

Iothil

Newcomer
Long time fan, but some things are really infuriating in SV and with the new quests from 1.5 more so than ever.

Your character randomly turning elsewhere when using swords or other tools, still not fixed.

Some quests make zero sense. Robin wants 80 Hardwood... cool, ok. Why do I have to GATHER it!? Some of the quests really could've used more thought and common sense. It is absolutely insensible to make them this way. And ofc, the quest description says nothing about it. Just "robin needs 80 hardwood", well cool. So either work on the wording or think about how and why you wanna make quests absolutely, infuriatingly stupid.

That being said, I appreciate the huge content update, but sometimes it seems like there is zero thought given to some things because if you play the game normally, you end up doing things out of order (how some quests would like themselves to be done) by default, and hence ruining some quests. So quests essentially catch you off guard by assuming you are way, way slower than you actually are. This is really, really infuriating and shouldn't be the case. Just let me hand in my damn wood or whatever.

There are quests where it makes 100% sense, like the Albacore quest for Demitrius, but there are quests like Robin's where it is just stupid.

Edit: The RNG paired with limited timed quests is a joke. Seriously, we didn't get ONE prismatic slime so far in multiplayer (2) and went religiously about it. This is horrible and imo, overall, the new quests are largely extremely badly balanced and should be reworked. They are just stupidly grindy and insensibly designed, not "challenging". And yes, we used strategies like double dipping and working on different floors to increase the ground we can cover. Essentially we covered about 15-20 levels per day per person, ranging anywhere between 60-80 floors per person, totalling to 120-160 in total so far. Reading what others experienced... this is another good example of how horrible some of the quests are.

Last edited: