Who is the worst npc

birdn4t0r

Cowpoke
out of all the NPCs, i’d have to choose marnie, not because she’s a bad person, but just because she is literally never there when you need her. just. never. why?????? at least the others have comedic/story value in their flaws, like clint with his shoes and mayor lewis with his “solid gold lewis,” or pam with how she treats penny.

Bananapaws

Sodbuster
out of all the NPCs, i’d have to choose marnie, not because she’s a bad person, but just because she is literally never there when you need her. just. never. why?????? at least the others have comedic/story value in their flaws, like clint with his shoes and mayor lewis with his “solid gold lewis,” or pam with how she treats penny.
How does she even stay in business? There are no other farms in town except for mine, and she's never home to sell me anything. I get a lot of satisfaction that if I marry Shane she can no longer reply on his rent money. And she'll have to do her own farm chores. Ma'am, you will no longer exploit my husband. Then again, if Mayor Lewis is building golden statues of himself maybe he can afford to be her Sugar Daddy.

imnvs

Local Legend
Yeah, I don't get the "Marnie's never there" complaint. She's there 5 days a week. You just need to remember she's not there on Monday and Tuesday.

nicodeux

Farmer
First, I would like to say that ConcernedApe did a wonderful character design job with all the NPCs in Stardew Valley. This can easily be spotted by all the posts (in this thread and in others) where one tries to guess the psychology or story of the NPCs solely based on the text lines they say in-game : you don't see that with poorly designed characters.

Regarding the original question of the worst NPC, I will rule out Morris because he is designed to be loathed.

I can't think of a NPC that I really dislike: they all have their qualities and flaws. I can bond more easily with some of them for personal reasons, but I guess everyone here could say the same, but not always with the same NPCs.

Thus, I don't have a worst NPC, only one that I like less than the others and that would be Gunther. Come on! A german name with a cowboy look? He must have done terrible things in a previous life... :laugh:

However, I'm curious why so many people dislike Pierre. I did not have the opportunity to see his new booth in patch 1.5 yet (and I think this is a pity he got one during Dance of the Moonlight Jelly festival which is my favourite one: so poetic) but I wonder why many think of him as disloyal and greedy. It seems people do not remember him always being that way:

LRangerR said:
Like i've said before, I really dislike how they've changed Pierre's character over the years. He didn't always used to be that way.
Has he changed that much over the years/patches? (if this is too much out of topic, I can open a dedicated thread)

birdn4t0r

Cowpoke
Yeah, I don't get the "Marnie's never there" complaint. She's there 5 days a week. You just need to remember she's not there on Monday and Tuesday.
just that even when she’s supposed to be there, it just feels like she’s not. ><

Alfyna

Sodbuster
However, I'm curious why so many people dislike Pierre. I did not have the opportunity to see his new booth in patch 1.5 yet (and I think this is a pity he got one during Dance of the Moonlight Jelly festival which is my favourite one: so poetic) but I wonder why many think of him as disloyal and greedy.
More than anything, Pierre mostly just suffers from comparison. If this were any other RPG, he'd be that quirky side-of-the-road merchant you meet up with once in a while who tries to chisel you with bargain-brand loot at trumped-up prices. In SDV, with just about everyone else having a defined character arc that transforms them into a better version of themselves by the end, Pierre remains static. He doesn't learn anything from his mistakes. He sells the goods that you sell to him and rather than admit they're from your farm (or even just lie by omission) he tells his customers that he picked/grew/foraged them himself. He's a poor loser (the autumn fair) prone to bribery (the mayor at the Luau) and is an inattentive husband and father. I wouldn't call him disloyal, but he is very money-driven, and this leads him to abuse personal relationships in favor of financial gain.

It says something about how wholesome this game is that Pierre does stand out, though, because like I said -- we wouldn't bat an eye if he were to appear in a different game. It's just that all the other SDV characters go through personal journeys and emotional growth, so we notice when one doesn't.

TT99

Greenhorn
Pierre. He is definately involved in a lot more bad things than he initially lets on.

I personally am pretty convinced he killed another boxer when he was much younger with that right hook of his he talks about, fled the manslaughter charges, and that's why he's in Stardew Valley.

Last edited: