Who is the worst npc

rippytrippy

Planter
The more you dig deep into the game and its NPC, maybe the more you hate alot of them. Maybe I list some of my worst candidates:

Lewis: Thanks to him the little town lies dormant. The community center is a ruin, the backside of the town is undeveloped, there are barely any roads, only dirt pathes. He surely embezzling taxes and doesn't have the balls to make his relation with Marnie public. Additionally he brags about his 20 years of government.

Caroline: Self-centered mother who only cares about her "balance", lives a life of lies, betrayed Pierre and letting him pay for his cuckoo's child

Pierre: Also self-centered and egocentric businessman who also lies alot. Not so much different from Morris.

Pam: Nothing to add. Even with a hard life, totally burdens Penny's life.

Wizard: Manipulative bastard.

While there are other questionable NPCs, they didn't do any wrong to others or everyone has the choice to abstain from them. Ah, and don't get me wrong. I like the character design. ConcernedApe did such a good job to display a very realistic cross section of our everybodies society (the "good" and "bad" ways).
i would have to agree with most of this,

Caroline is definitely pretty self-centered. also, based on several different lines of dialog between her, Abby, Pierre, and the wizard, Caroline had some sort of affair with the wizard at one point and Abby is the wizard's daughter lmao

Pierre is just annoying. And he wonders why Joja-mart gets more business than him.

Yeah, Pam is a jerk to Penny. Penny is so sweet all the time and tutors little kids :owo: but Pam just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, why

I actually like the Wizard a lot lmao

LRangerR

Local Legend
Pierre's character seems to have changed in small but significant ways from when the game first started, to be fair.

mhirtz

Newcomer
In the spirit of the valley community, NONE of them. Each of the residents seem well-meaning if sometimes flawed but with a path to a better life: Shane potentially helping more on Marnie's farm (for one, I would welcome a chance at a blue cow and some Star Wars-style blue milk) and Halley developing a better appreciation of the valley. Maybe even Morris, after he was rightly jettisoned, turned into a traveling merchant that may one day sell his wares at the Night Market.

You mean besides Morris? Well I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I am not fond of Haley at all. She seems useless and often gets in my way while walking around town.

Mayor Lewis is a close second also, but these are only my opinions.

Odin

Staff member
Caroline: Self-centered mother who only cares about her "balance", lives a life of lies, betrayed Pierre and letting him pay for his cuckoo's child
Caroline is definitely pretty self-centered. also, based on several different lines of dialog between her, Abby, Pierre, and the wizard, Caroline had some sort of affair with the wizard at one point and Abby is the wizard's daughter lmao
That's a very popular fan theory, but not something explicitly confirmed in the game. So this reading of Caroline is dependent on headcannon.

Pierre: Also self-centered and egocentric businessman who also lies alot. Not so much different from Morris.
There actually is a big difference between the two. While Pierre may often prioritize work over other things, to the detriment of himself and his family (for example, not taking holidays off), he doesn't takes actions that are hostile to the town itself. Morris on the other hand is a bit of a proxy for Joja itself, but he is clearly willing to put Joja above all else, in a way that Pierre is not when it come to the general store.

I think Morris is a terrible character but necessary for the game. I only did the Joja run once because he is so annoying.

Pierre doesn't bother me so much. Caroline, on the other hand, strikes me as that nosy town gossip. Fine in small doses but not BFF material.

Jodie doesnt really bother me either. She is the stereotype of a housewife. I wonder if she comes off as rude to some people because she gets frustrated repeating the same things to her kids all the time and it feels like they don't appreciate the work she does? I know a mother of 3 boys who is just like that.

Pam seems to drink a lot less once the bus is back in business so I wonder if her behavior is from depression and being unemployed? Not that that excuses her treatment of Penny. I don't respect her but also don't dislike her.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Pierre doesn't bother me so much. Caroline, on the other hand, strikes me as that nosy town gossip. Fine in small doses but not BFF material.

Jodie doesnt really bother me either. She is the stereotype of a housewife. I wonder if she comes off as rude to some people because she gets frustrated repeating the same things to her kids all the time and it feels like they don't appreciate the work she does? I know a mother of 3 boys who is just like that.
To me it seems like Jodi and Caroline gossip to each other about things, and maybe include Evelyn every now and then, but probably don't take it much farther than that.
Pam seems to drink a lot less once the bus is back in business so I wonder if her behavior is from depression and being unemployed? Not that that excuses her treatment of Penny. I don't respect her but also don't dislike her.
I give Pam a drink just before she takes me to the desert every time, so idk what you're talking about :3

Ghostlymostly96

Greenhorn
Not a big fan of Pierre. He seems kind of stuck up and doesn’t seem to care much about his family. Caroline would complain hoping Pierre would spend time with the family on the holidays instead of worrying about sales. And for what? His “secret stash”?

PorkChop

Planter
Clint. He is just kind of special. In a bad way. I feel like he is the nice version of Shane. But also not. One of these days he's gonna hop off the
Summit
. But not on accident.

Alfyna

Sodbuster
I appreciate them all as well-written characters whose flaws make them feel real... which is why I can't stand Clint. It's not just dislike, it's actual discomfort. His attitude towards women immediately gave me 'Nice Guy' vibes, which were then confirmed when he said those exact words during his heart event. He complains endlessly. Not in a charming self-deprecating way -- in a way that would make an entire room uncomfortable IRL. He wore his best shoes today... but nobody noticed. He'd like to talk to women... but they all pay attention to Farmer. He takes pride in his job... one day out of the year, and otherwise loudly resents it. Not only is he not a good friend or neighbor, he isn't even a good businessman. When you buy items from his shop he mocks you for being "too lazy" to mine it yourself, only to turn around and hire you later to clear out the cave baddies because he's too scared to do it himself. He's exhausting. People crack on Haley for being snobbish, but she has a beautiful turn-around and becomes a conscientious person by the end. Clint never improves.

On a related list of honorable mentions, Pierre is just as mercenary as Morris but only gets a quarter of the flak, and while I like the Marnie/Lewis relationship just fine, Lewis grosses me out by forcing her to sneak around town with him like their relationship is something dirty they need to be ashamed of. For god's sake, they're both grown, unmarried adults. Like I legit don't even understand the conflict going on there.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
If it's any comfort with Clint, CA has confirmed in a post in r/StardewValley that things such as him still talking about Emily after the Farmer is married to her are not intentional. He knows that people would like loose ends tied up with Clint, Lewis, Marnie, etcetera, but it takes a while to get to that, and I can totally understand that. I mean, just look at how massive an update 1.5 was. Who knows, maybe that'll be a focus point of the next update? The character that I personally wanna see get development the most is the Dwarf, and I'd love it if Gunther and Marlon were to become actual interactable NPCs that I could befriend.

Alfyna

Sodbuster
If it's any comfort with Clint, CA has confirmed in a post in r/StardewValley that things such as him still talking about Emily after the Farmer is married to her are not intentional.
(I have never married Emily) but in honesty ^ that circumstance is something I actually do excuse in games, because there's a limit to just how much you can write/code/anticipate when writing character interactions. That doesn't bother me at all. Harvey does the same silly thing at the spring dance festival where he says he's 'trying to work up the courage to ask someone to dance' with him, until I gently remind him we're married and he's like "Oh! Yeah! I've been looking forward to it all day! Lol."

No, my issue is Clint's general attitude towards women, not just Emily, and his relentless complaining about every other aspect of his life. It's unfortunately not something that can be handwaved by a single event. I just don't like him as a person.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I'll also admit that I'm not particularly fond of the fact that the player has no choice as to whether or not they want to encourage Clint to pursue Emily in his six heart event. If you planned on pursuing Emily yourself, this can come across as really awkward. And what if you don't really think he should pursue Emily to begin with? Apparently he also acts really off when you
take him to the movies with you. I haven't taken him to the movies myself, though, so I'm going by screenshots that other people have posted.

Salosso

Greenhorn
EBE6CC05-07F2-4276-A562-8BEF8A7B3485.jpg

The “honorable” Mayor Lewis.

Over the course of a couple posts, I will fully expose the level of graft and corruption in Pelican Town, stemming all the way from Mayor Lewis’s office!

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Lewis is the mayor of Pelican Town. More like Pelican VILLAGE (amiright) with the size of its population. How much money do you think Lewis makes, as Mayor of this small town?

And yet, Mayor Lewis is able to afford a literal
16311216-C835-4BE6-90C9-D080B1922EA9.jpg
GOLDEN STATUE OF HIMSELF
That’s right!
How is that even possible, you ask? On a Mayors salary, of Pelican Town?

The Axis of Greed segways to Pelican towns, ONLY Carpenter shop. Owned by Robin, with her blatant Anti-Consumer Policies. Robin makes cutthroat Cable companies like Cox, Charter, and Comcast/Xfinitiy blush! It’s unreal!

Say you want a deluxe barn built on your farm. And why wouldn’t you? It can comfortably house: Pigs, Sheep, Goats, and Cows. But wait! You can’t just build a Deluxe Barn. Oh no, my sweet summer child!

According to Pelican Towns zoning laws, permits, and regulations You have to build by TIERS. You have to build a Barn first, then a big Barn, and then finally! You can build the deluxe Barn you wanted all along! lol Only in Pelican Town!

And to add insult to injury, you have to provide YOUR OWN MATERIALS. The grift doesn’t stop!

1/x

icKyou1025

Sodbuster
I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible....

On Spirits Eve, you know that tunnel at the back of the town that leads to the Golden Pumpkin? If I could wall Alex in there I would.

Bananapaws

Sodbuster
I amuse myself by gaslighting Haley. I'm super nice to everyone else. But I like her to see me going through her trashcans and I like giving her rubbish gifts. I like to imagine that she tries to convince the rest of the village that I'm Pure Evil, but no one ever believes her.

rippytrippy

Planter
I amuse myself by gaslighting Haley. I'm super nice to everyone else. But I like her to see me going through her trashcans and I like giving her rubbish gifts. I like to imagine that she tries to convince the rest of the village that I'm Pure Evil, but no one ever believes her.
excuse me
haley is an angel