Who is the worst npc

sonic_melon

Greenhorn
There is no worst NPC imo. I will just respond to this one mentioned frequently (morris) but point stands for all. I think Morris plays an important role in the world to show us the faults of such a character, especially that in real life. He embodies greed and selfishness, among other things. We are confined by the limits of the game but he deserves compassion and with this who knows how Morris would be in the world? Perhaps he would change? Anyone that embodies some element of distasteful personality have been programmed this way for a reason but it is important to remember that and to treat them all with compassion. Part of that is avoiding either/or black/white or polarizing thinking. This is just a game but the thinking process matters anywhere!

LRangerR

Local Legend
The worst NPC is the one standing around the fair talking about how big the cheesewheel is imo.

Jodi. She gets mad at Vincent for getting dirty while he looks for bugs. Angry at Sam over a broken egg. Angry about mud on my boots. Her angry face is terrifying.
If everyone in stardew valley is a ghost and that's why no one ages, they walk the exact same paths, and say the same thing every festival? Then I'm afraid of what Jodi did to herself and sons while Kent was off dying in the war. Sam doesn't remember, but little Vincent maybe does.
Stardew has been forever ruined, thank you.

By the scientific/botanical definition, yes, I'm not arguing otherwise. I simply think people who pull the tomatoes-are-fruit technicality are pretentious, and even condescending depending on context. Like I said, it's a character thing that I don't like it but I can appreciate it being different.

(Note that even though Demetrius is correct, tomatoes aren't classified as fruit in-game, neither do chilies nor eggplants, why is that?)
Probably just Ape trolling, lol.

There is no worst NPC imo. I will just respond to this one mentioned frequently (morris) but point stands for all. I think Morris plays an important role in the world to show us the faults of such a character, especially that in real life. He embodies greed and selfishness, among other things. We are confined by the limits of the game but he deserves compassion and with this who knows how Morris would be in the world? Perhaps he would change? Anyone that embodies some element of distasteful personality have been programmed this way for a reason but it is important to remember that and to treat them all with compassion. Part of that is avoiding either/or black/white or polarizing thinking. This is just a game but the thinking process matters anywhere!
On this note, i DO dislike how they've changed Pierre's character over the years. In one of the festivals now he's talking about how holidays are good for business and how he should invent some new ones.

Last edited:

estewanini

Sodbuster
Probably just Ape trolling, lol.
Lol maybe, yea.

Or maybe it's because tomatoes, eggplants and chilies are simultaneously a fruit and a vegetable. It's just dependent on which definition you choose to use; hard science approach or the Layman's term. Demetrius may be right, but that doesn't make everyone else wrong.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Could also be that nobody drinks tomato wine, but they drink tomato juice. Btw, how are they both fruit and veggie? Is it just based off of what people call them? For me, if they have seeds they're a fruit. Doesn't matter if they're sweet or not.

On a slightly related note, I was very disappointed that Pam's big board quest didn't make potatoes turn into vodka. Very rude.

Squigglyruth

Planter
I think if you start to get technical then it gets complicated. Technically, strawberries don't count as a fruit. Because of having the seeds on the outside, and maybe the seeds are actually mini fruits themselves??

We have to decide where and how to draw the lines between categories, because nature doesn't do that very well - most things in nature are a messy continua. It's inevitable some people will disagree.

That all said, I totally agree with Demetrious - tomatoes are a fruit :-)

It doesn't make it the right thing for him to buy for Robin.

Ereo

Helper
Technically, a vegetable is any plant cultivated for it's edible parts, as well as the edible plant parts.

So all fruits are vegetables, but not all vegetables are fruit.

Culinary speaking, I'd divide them in commonly eaten sweet and savoury.

Squigglyruth

Planter
I think it depends on your technical references :-)

Biologically, the fruit of a plant is the soft part that grows around the seed after fertilisation. Which does make a tomato a fruit, biologically speaking. But possibly not culinerally? That depends more on personal taste and use.

For context, my super-nerdy husband couldn't anticipate all of the things that count as fruit. They are predictable from a really narrow biological definition, but that doesn't mean it's the only valid way to define things.

Still though, I don't think Demetrius deserves hate for trying to be scientifically accurate. Presumably that wasn't the first time he was socially awkward for Robin...

Last edited:

estewanini

Sodbuster
Btw, how are they both fruit and veggie? Is it just based off of what people call them?
Basically yeah, society works through consensus.

In extension, science also works through consensus if you think about it; someone makes a new observation, calls it something, everyone either agrees or argues against it, but usually the discoverer has dibs on the naming, like for example, the Van der Waals forces or the Pauling's scale. In biological terms, tomatoes are fruit because of specifically categorizing its characteristics into what constitutes as a fruit within its terms - "vegetable" is not even used in science since it's too arbitrary and subjective. In the Layman's terms, i.e. general public/culinary terms, tomatoes are vegetables because you usually use them in savory dishes (why? i have no clue, it's more tart than sweet but a lot of things that are tart are considered fruits). Henceforth, it is both valid to call tomatoes a fruit and a veg. This is the same with chilies and eggplants, broccoli and cauliflowers are technically flowers, mushrooms are technically fungi (a different kingdom entirely), but they're all unanimously considered as vegetables, because people call them vegetables.

(In addition, this is how something becomes common sense, it's the intuition and beliefs of the collective and really not that accurate.)

I personally would not refer to tomatoes as fruits unless I'm in an environment where I know I won't be misconstrued because I'm not going to pretend that everyone knows the correct scientific term for tomatoes. Nice little topic to talk about though.

On a slightly related note, I was very disappointed that Pam's big board quest didn't make potatoes turn into vodka.
Very rude indeed, rice in the keg also doesn't produce rice wine like I'd hope.

Elenna101

Farmer
Long story short, the biological definition of the word "fruit" is different from the culinary definition of the word "fruit". Biologically, tomatoes are a fruit. But for culinary use, they're a vegetable. There's no contradiction, just two different definitions.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Basically yeah, society works through consensus.

In extension, science also works through consensus if you think about it; someone makes a new observation, calls it something, everyone either agrees or argues against it, but usually the discoverer has dibs on the naming, like for example, the Van der Waals forces or the Pauling's scale. In biological terms, tomatoes are fruit because of specifically categorizing its characteristics into what constitutes as a fruit within its terms - "vegetable" is not even used in science since it's too arbitrary and subjective. In the Layman's terms, i.e. general public/culinary terms, tomatoes are vegetables because you usually use them in savory dishes (why? i have no clue, it's more tart than sweet but a lot of things that are tart are considered fruits). Henceforth, it is both valid to call tomatoes a fruit and a veg. This is the same with chilies and eggplants, broccoli and cauliflowers are technically flowers, mushrooms are technically fungi (a different kingdom entirely), but they're all unanimously considered as vegetables, because people call them vegetables.
I'd say that science works through logical consensus while society works through some other kinda consensus, kinda like how you put it. There are many things in science that is agreed upon as "true", but that's because it cannot be proved wrong, yet. It's a silly little conundrum that i enjoy watching scientists chase their tail around. Anyways, perhaps the term "vegetable" itself is simply just a catchall phrase for plant-cooking-stuff.

I personally would not refer to tomatoes as fruits unless I'm in an environment where I know I won't be misconstrued because I'm not going to pretend that everyone knows the correct scientific term for tomatoes. Nice little topic to talk about though.
I would refer to tomatos as tomatos. Now the next question is how you spell and pronounce them :P

Very rude indeed, rice in the keg also doesn't produce rice wine like I'd hope.
mmmmmm....sake.......

Dern it...now i'm upset too

Squigglyruth

Planter
Strawberries are a fruit and you can't convince me otherwise. :3
Yeah, I don't disagree with you :-) I mentioned it because it's an extreme example of defining things differently. Most people would call a strawberry a fruit, but some botanists call it a pseudo-fruit. But nobody calls it a vegetable. For anyone who finds this as interesting as I do : https://carnegiemuseums.org/magazine-archive/1997/mayjun/dept4.htm

Also, i don't feel like clicking on the link, are greenbeans a fruit or not?
Botanically, they are a fruit.

rippytrippy

Planter
i despise alex, you can prolly tell why

i also really dislike Marnie - she's nice ig, but just weird because she has this secret elicit relationship with the mayor and it's just so weird and creepy to me i don't like her ;~;

Drullo321

Sodbuster
The more you dig deep into the game and its NPC, maybe the more you hate alot of them. Maybe I list some of my worst candidates:

Lewis: Thanks to him the little town lies dormant. The community center is a ruin, the backside of the town is undeveloped, there are barely any roads, only dirt pathes. He surely embezzling taxes and doesn't have the balls to make his relation with Marnie public. Additionally he brags about his 20 years of government.

Caroline: Self-centered mother who only cares about her "balance", lives a life of lies, betrayed Pierre and letting him pay for his cuckoo's child

Pierre: Also self-centered and egocentric businessman who also lies alot. Not so much different from Morris.

Pam: Nothing to add. Even with a hard life, totally burdens Penny's life.

Wizard: Manipulative bastard.

While there are other questionable NPCs, they didn't do any wrong to others or everyone has the choice to abstain from them. Ah, and don't get me wrong. I like the character design. ConcernedApe did such a good job to display a very realistic cross section of our everybodies society (the "good" and "bad" ways).