What’s your current goal?

PookieDoodle

Rancher
This thread got me to really think about my goals, both immediate and future. I finally reached one of them I hadn't mentioned previously which was to get into Mr. Qi's room and check my perfection. I'm only at 52%! But that actually made me happy. Happy to know that I still have nearly half of the game to experience. One of my short term goals was to get the clock. Well, I finally got it. And THAT prompted me to redo a good bit of my farm. So I scanned the screenshot gallery for a couple of lovely farms that are along my style and I'm slowly making improvements. I've realized that with 4k of wood in stock, I probably don't need that huge area of trees I have planted for cutting. So this opened up more ideas for changing my farm around some. I love my current working layout. I can do my chores by 11am and be off doing other things for the day. So that tells me I'm efficient. And after buying the clock, within two game weeks, I was back up to 1mil so that tells me my farm is producing well.

My optimal goal is perfection as I think most people. But presently, I'm going to finish my farm modifications, paint my buildings, continue my experiment comparing the various mayonnaise production prices and focus on those animals, continue working on the special bulletin board quests, redo some rooms in my farm house and decorate the extra rooms I got, and when winter comes around again, I plan to start working on the island farm and farm house and work on Mr. Qi's quests. I have four days left of my two week vacation. We'll see how far that get's me. :)
I'm doing kinda the same thing. I demolished my entire farm and am taking my time rebuilding it so it can be optimal and maybe aesthetically pleasing at the same time. It's a tightrope you have to walk in this game. Do you want to crank out high yielding crops or do you want a pretty farm? I go back and forth. The perfection bear, as I call him, really pushes me. I was really surprised at some of my 90%+ stats and bummed out by others. Even though I craft a lot, my crafting is only at 55%. I figured out it's the small things, things I would of just bought or gotten sent to me as gifts, like garlic oil.

So now my goal is to do the little things. Catch that midnight carp so I can make that last recipe. Of course, fishing. And make a bunch of crafting stuff I don't even need anymore except for boosting my percentage. I think a big reason my perfection percentage is low is because I task myself for something and then something else to do comes along and I forget about what I was doing. I'm sure we can all relate with that. 🙂

Lew Zealand

Helper
Winter 1 Year 3, time for the Glacierfish. The first attempt at the day led to the first CTD I've ever had with Stardew Valley, which was weird and not great. Second attempt at the day, hooked Glacierfish 22 times before finally landing it. :fish: Ugh. This was with a skill 14 fishing bar and a cork bobber. It remains unclear whether I'll be able to land Legend in the spring; I can use Seafoam Pudding to bring fishing skill to 15, but the difficulty of the fish also increases by ten (and the jump from Crimsonfish at 95 to Glacierfish at 100 was huge - I landed Crimsonfish on the first or second try).

Needless to say, I played it safe and went to bed as soon as I teleported home.

So the quest for Perfection remains in Magic 8 Ball territory - "Answer hazy, ask again later." 🎱
I have finally Fished up all the Legends and found the Trap Bobber to make catching those most difficult of Fish notably easier than using the Cork Bobber. I prefer the Cork for Fishing all but the top 8 most difficult Fish, but the Trap makes a real dfference on the 5 Legends, plus the Octopus, Lava Eel, and Ice Pip. I also make Fish Ponds as early as possible in the game to get a steady supply of Seafoam Pudding as your Fishing bar will be a bit smaller with the Trap, of course. I haven't done the new v1.5 top level Fish yet but I do have those Seafoam Puddings and Trap Bobbers in stock for when their names are called.

Elenna101

Farmer
Winter 1 Year 3, time for the Glacierfish. The first attempt at the day led to the first CTD I've ever had with Stardew Valley, which was weird and not great. Second attempt at the day, hooked Glacierfish 22 times before finally landing it. :fish: Ugh. This was with a skill 14 fishing bar and a cork bobber. It remains unclear whether I'll be able to land Legend in the spring; I can use Seafoam Pudding to bring fishing skill to 15, but the difficulty of the fish also increases by ten (and the jump from Crimsonfish at 95 to Glacierfish at 100 was huge - I landed Crimsonfish on the first or second try).

Needless to say, I played it safe and went to bed as soon as I teleported home.

So the quest for Perfection remains in Magic 8 Ball territory - "Answer hazy, ask again later." 🎱
If it helps, I think a lot of people find Legend to be slightly easier than Glacierfish. Which makes no sense with the numbers, but it does feel true. OTOH the Legend is less likely to show up on your bar, so that can be annoying. And I agree that Glacierfish is way harder than Crimsonfish.
I also find the trap bobber to be quite useful for fish like the Legend/Glacierfish that are going to spend a lot of time outside your green bar no matter what you do.

CDoggy

Tiller
Right now I’m on winter year 3 and I’m saving up for the return scepter.
I play on mobile so 1.5 is not out but I’m getting stuff to prepare for the new update like prismatic shards for enchantments and materials to repair the boat to ginger island.

Worblehat

Planter
Thanks everyone! If the cork bobber had run out before I landed Glacierfish, the trap bobber would have been the next thing I tried. I'd tried both much earlier in the game, against "mid-level" fish so to speak, and preferred the bigger bar. But Lew Zealand's point that the trap bobber takes the lead against the really tough ones makes sense.
I probably don't need that huge area of trees I have planted for cutting.
Heh, that's my agenda for the rest of Winter! 😀 About 80% of the farm consists of trees, and I have a few dozen bombs left over from SC. I will try the technique in This Curiously Capitalized Post... 💣
Edit: bombing trees works, but it's not terribly effective at five bombs per group of trees. Mildly amusing to do once, though.

Last edited:

PookieDoodle

Rancher
Thanks everyone! If the cork bobber had run out before I landed Glacierfish, the trap bobber would have been the next thing I tried. I'd tried both much earlier in the game, against "mid-level" fish so to speak, and preferred the bigger bar. But Lew Zealand's point that the trap bobber takes the lead against the really tough ones makes sense.

Heh, that's my agenda for the rest of Winter! 😀 About 80% of the farm consists of trees, and I have a few dozen bombs left over from SC. I will try the technique in This Curiously Capitalized Post... 💣
I planted trees all over the valley. So now, when I need wood I can basically go anywhere....even in town, to cut lumber and save my farm space for farming.

Sophie

Tiller
Thanks for the heads-up about the artifact spots - I guess the the special spots you need to hoe got it stuck in my head that opening up more bare ground was going to get me more walnuts. Kinda stumped, tho because I'm 99% sure I've found all the ones the Wiki shows you, but the parrot says there are ones hidden in the north & west. Definitely have 6 more to go. Maybe fishing? I do hate to fish.
You do get some from fishing - either in the lake or the ocean

Squigglyruth

Planter
I was working on perfection in two years using beach farm, but have realised with a week to go that I will probably miss out on either Pepper Rexes or dragons' teeth - annoying! I probably won't bother retrying with a new save file...

I did however manage to catch iridium versions of the legendary fish along the way :-)

I was working on perfection in two years using beach farm, but have realised with a week to go that I will probably miss out on either Pepper Rexes or dragons' teeth - annoying! I probably won't bother retrying with a new save file...

I did however manage to catch iridium versions of the legendary fish along the way :-)
Nice! That second part is a key goal of mine this time around, and a reason why for the first time my 1st legendary catch was the Glacierfish. This is because I didn't get the Bugs Wanted until Winter, and I wasn't going to try getting them iridium via a perfect catch! Any tips for the one I expect will be the hardest to pull that off - the Angler? Just based on the max zone achievable while trying to catch that one.

I can't help with the dragon's teeth, no idea on anything related to that yet. But Pepper Rexes are definitely still obtainable, they only take a day's work if you get the right setup. Just check the first say 20 floors of the SC each day using staircases. If one is an infested floor full of Pepper Rexes, you win! Kill them all, pop out of the SC, head back in, staircase down to that floor again, rinse and repeat. No guarantee that happens within a week, but if you're that close to perfection, you likely have the resources to check even further down each day so it's certainly not impossible. Best of luck!

Boo1972

Farmer
I’m just working on putting the finishing aesthetic touches on my beach farm. I love a somewhat natural look on my farms, so I’m trying to keep the northwest quadrant a little wild. But i did want a sculpture garden by the the tea house my daughter and I decorated so we will see.

For my next farm I would like to unlock the skull cavern in my first spring. This is the opposite of how I usually play which can best be described as running around randomly. I bet it will take some practice but the idea of starfruit in my first summer just won’t let go of me.

Junimo_Looser

Greenhorn
I’m just working on putting the finishing aesthetic touches on my beach farm. I love a somewhat natural look on my farms, so I’m trying to keep the northwest quadrant a little wild. But i did want a sculpture garden by the the tea house my daughter and I decorated so we will see.

For my next farm I would like to unlock the skull cavern in my first spring. This is the opposite of how I usually play which can best be described as running around randomly. I bet it will take some practice but the idea of starfruit in my first summer just won’t let go of me.
that's awesome!!! have you posted a photo of your beach farm anywhere? i would love some inspiration. :))

Boo1972

Farmer
that's awesome!!! have you posted a photo of your beach farm anywhere? i would love some inspiration. :))
I haven’t yet. I play on my sons’ pc and visit the forums on my phone so it never occurred to me. I’ll add the last few touches and see if I can manage it.

Tekalh

Tiller
Going for true perfection in qi's walnut room, all I have left to do is friendship, some cooking and crafting and of course the infamous 10,000,000 golden clock

Sharron

Greenhorn
awesome thread! I'm a relative newbie, discovered the game 5 weeks ago, I'm winter year 8. I eventually want a natural rolling farm, but right now I want to KNOW everything, GO everywhere (if that's possible). I have g. but g. won't buy me iridium, which I need for a boat, which I need to explore. I have to learn to fish! I finished the fish tank with help from the traveling cart and garbage cans... So, my goals are 'everything'!

Worblehat

Planter
g. won't buy me iridium, which I need for a boat
The Statue of Perfection should have you covered. Eight years in five weeks is impressively fast; I just started Year 4, playing since late February.

On topic - I caught Legend!!!! 😮:fish: Trap bobber FTW! Though wow that was a tough catch. My wrist is still sore; seriously considered giving up, considering how long that took. Nearly lost it many times, nearly caught it three times (actually did catch it that third time near the top of the progress bar, of course). That fish definitely lives up to its name.

Naturally I teleported home and went straight to bed. Do not sell the irrelevant normal fish caught on the way to hooking Legend, do not put Legend in its tank, do not put the spare fishing food back in the fridge, do not risk any delay in case somehow there's a CTD. I am not catching that fish again!

At this point my remaining goal would be about 6.2 million gold for the clock and the two useless* obelisks, which I should have around the end of the year (I could calculate it to within a day or two, but, eh, why put that much effort in...). Though I suspect I'll declare victory and move on after picking up some decorations at the Egg Festival. I'm sure Youtube has the summit cutscene somewhere. So "figure out what exactly I want to do for a second playthrough" would also be an active goal now...

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to rest my wrist. Ow.

* = Earth and Desert. I'm aware that many people consider the Desert Obelisk to not be useless, but it is useless to me so I prioritize it below the clock.

Sharron

Greenhorn
Legend!! I bow to you!! amaaazing!! I need to read again how to attach tackle to my rod, and how to use the copper pan.. (I think the switch is bewitched).

and OMG!! I thought you made up the term Statue of Perfection, but I looked it up and I do have all candles lit, and I have it on my porch and I rubbed its tummy and everything - and now this morning it birthed 5 IRIDIUM bars! Thank the Lord! and thank you too of course... :D

and 8 yrs in 5 weeks is not impressively fast, it's obsessive and I have no life. I couldn't sleep when one of my chickens got left out all night in the rain... there must be a hole in one of the boards though, because it was inside with its sisters in the morning...

You've given me new hope - I'm that much closer to Willie's boat, and I'm off to again tackle the Skull Cavern again...

For my current playthrough, I have worked out a clear plan.
Year 1 and 2: making money & completing the basic tasks (mines, CC, SC and the like)
Year 2 and 3: arranging my farm & decorating the buildings
Year 4 and 5: Ginger Island
Year 6: dating
Year 7: marriage
Up to this point, I want to have my perfect garden and achieve Perfection.

Squigglyruth

Planter
Nice! That second part is a key goal of mine this time around, and a reason why for the first time my 1st legendary catch was the Glacierfish. This is because I didn't get the Bugs Wanted until Winter, and I wasn't going to try getting them iridium via a perfect catch! Any tips for the one I expect will be the hardest to pull that off - the Angler? Just based on the max zone achievable while trying to catch that one.

I can't help with the dragon's teeth, no idea on anything related to that yet. But Pepper Rexes are definitely still obtainable, they only take a day's work if you get the right setup. Just check the first say 20 floors of the SC each day using staircases. If one is an infested floor full of Pepper Rexes, you win! Kill them all, pop out of the SC, head back in, staircase down to that floor again, rinse and repeat. No guarantee that happens within a week, but if you're that close to perfection, you likely have the resources to check even further down each day so it's certainly not impossible. Best of luck!
Thank you for the tip! I might give it a go tomorrow :-)

For the Angler, I went to the top bridge in town and cast upwards in the middle of the water. There is a thin strip of water that counts as level 3 which makes the iridium much easier. Maximum cast distance should get you into it safely.

Good luck!