Kent getting better with having PTSD?

Mental issues are insanely complex, everyone copes their own ways. Just finding a way for Kent would be difficult then to draw up events and dialogue. It might be easier to just add some dialogue about how he likes Jodi's yellow curry instead.
When it come to fixing mental issues it's like a no win scenario.
It would be nice if after the bus is fixed Pam drinks less though.

Fixing is not the technical right word in that spot.
But it is a relatively close one at least without pulling out a dictionary; i.e. you don't need to pull out a dictionary.
I know a few people have already made that analogy, that's generally because with mental issues it's a similar concept.

PTSD is actually something you learn to live with. It does not get better, the question is what extent is the damage.
Kent's PTSD is a watered down, nice version of what happens to a soldier who gets PTSD. The first 3 heart event is a nice child friendly version of it. They can "go back" at any time to most any sound. The only events that would be "realistic" featuring Kent's PTSD would be similar to the first one.

It doesn't just apply to soldiers. Domestic abuse especially during early adolescence can cause these events as well. Though it is more likely going to reflect the age that they encountered the abuse than the aggression associated with soldiers.

Pluffy

Planter
Can you explain, I used fix because that's what you used, to say I wasn't doing it, I just meant to learn to cope with it, not to cure it, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I have a special interest in psychology, though I'm not as good as other people with PTSD.

Pluffy

Planter
And I found out quite sometime ago, that how Kent's character resonated with people with PTSD, and reading it I really liked that, made me realize how powerful it was.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, first thing's first... PTSD is actually pretty complicated. It manifests in a lot of ways, mostly dependent on how the person was raised and the trauma that caused the condition. Often it is misdiagnosed, and it is misdiagnosed more often in women.

Now, as to the word "fix"... We've hashed out how that wasn't a good word choice, and we all now understand that this isn't something that goes away but something where the sufferer can learn to cope somewhat. Could we possibly move on now? I'm pretty sure that nobody is arguing that PTSD can be "fixed", or at the very least I don't think anyone still is arguing such.

I only used Soldier because that's what Kent is and it resonates with his character.
PTSD is mostly unknown... as in there's a lot we don't know about it.

The amount of accuracy in Kent's character is astounding and terrifying. But, I can understand the desire to see him happy occasionally. Although that may just be the selfishness of the player coming through, I do like positive outlooks even if occasionally they are not realistic.
I honestly never really took a hard look at Kent before. It's interesting. But, my husband knows a guy who has the war time, soldier PTSD and those are some scary stories he has of the guy. My husband saw this chat and started telling more of those stories, so I could better understand it, he said.

He forever equates PTSD with that specifically. Which belittles other forms of PTSD, I only find it irritating because I have cptsd. If you don't fly off the handle in a terrifying and scary way, than you don't have it.... If you learn to cope with it he also thinks your "getting better" and further disregards it. Sorry, if my aggravation with him was reflected in the conversation. He only understands one type of ptsd and that has never been the form I have. And his stories of this guy are terrifying!!!! I couldn't sleep at all last night!!!

Pluffy

Planter
Okay, thanks. I just wasn't aware the way people reacted to the post, made it seem like they still thought I wanted him to be cured, I think I may have just misunderstand it.

Pluffy

Planter
I only used Soldier because that's what Kent is and it resonates with his character.
PTSD is mostly unknown... as in there's a lot we don't know about it.

The amount of accuracy in Kent's character is astounding and terrifying. But, I can understand the desire to see him happy occasionally. Although that may just be the selfishness of the player coming through, I do like positive outlooks even if occasionally they are not realistic.
I honestly never really took a hard look at Kent before. It's interesting. But, my husband knows a guy who has the war time, soldier PTSD and those are some scary stories he has of the guy. My husband saw this chat and started telling more of those stories, so I could better understand it, he said.

He forever equates PTSD with that specifically. Which belittles other forms of PTSD, I only find it irritating because I have cptsd. If you don't fly off the handle in a terrifying and scary way, than you don't have it.... If you learn to cope with it he also thinks your "getting better" and further disregards it. Sorry, if my aggravation with him was reflected in the conversation. He only understands one type of ptsd and that has never been the form I have. And his stories of this guy are terrifying!!!! I couldn't sleep at all last night!!!
Hey, sorry about that, hopefully he can eventually found out PTSD is more then just war and everyone reacts to it differently and sorry he tells you those stories when you don't appear to like them, I am sorry for his trauma though, as you are.

I know this is a little of topic but does linus have so sort of mental issue. He seems to have a persecution complex with possible paranoia.

He talks about how he is not liked but Maru needs a drool bucket due to the bbq being made

He talks about the damage to his tent and harassment. No one in town seems capable save maybe Sebastian doing a wild potatoes huck at the mountain (not malicious just a whoops).

He says he wants the townfolk to accept him and we see Gus try to give him food

People spray paint his tent but again who would do that as the only criminals on town aren't really criminals shadow folk which take interesting things and the dwarf who well doesn't understand communal property

Is linus making things up or is Joja trying to make him leave?

Pluffy

Planter
I always kind of assumed, that the ones messing with him are people nearby, I think some of the town people are suspicious of him, but the people that are specially mentioned, or the ones that would seem ooc (Penny, Harvey.)

I wouldn't put it behind Morris to mess with him though.

You never know... maybe it's actually monsters from the mines coming out and scaring him.
But, Morris could see Linus as bad for business. I don't trust Morris, but that's mainly because I don't like how he treats Pierre. Even if it's your competition, you should be courteous. Although Penny and Harvey deal with a lot of stress, maybe they have their own secrets and dark side....

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I notice this thread has been all over the place and I'd like for us to stay on topic. The suggestion in this thread, at its base, is about dialogue additions (or a suggestion for a high heart event). Why not just say, if Kent gets new dialogue, what you'd rather it have, if something isn't resonating with you in this thread?

Depending on the severity of PTSD it really can define that person and become that person's focal point. It is sad to think about it like that. It seems as if Kent's PTSD is now a defining feature of his personality, and he does not care about being an outcast because reality does not feel real to him. A peaceful day to day life is surreal and almost dreamlike.