Kent getting better with having PTSD?

imnvs

Local Legend
Even the farmer points the condemnation finger at Kent for trying to vocalize a flashback. That's pretty much how it goes.
I'd rather not go into this one too much, but something I have learned when dealing with the ways I'm broken is that while we can not be blamed for the ways in which we are broken, we can be blamed for how our broken selves act. My depression and anxiety do not excuse me when I lash out, and the same goes for those suffering from PTSD. In other words, we can not be blamed for reacting, only HOW we react.

I think this is relevant to the scene you're discussing, because in the scene you're talking about, I do not believe the farmer is chiding him for having a flashback but how he treated the person that triggered him. This goes double because Kent hadn't explained to her that what she did was a trigger prior to that event.

I have been pondering if I could make a mod that does that. Yeah, Harvey knows a good therapist.
People in need of therapy.
Kent-Ptsd
Shane-substance abuse and recovery
Pam-substance abuse and recovery
Abigail-coping with loss and pica
Leah-substance abuse
Linus-possible self esteem/paranoia.
Leo-feral child syndrome
Clint-Simpingtons disease (might be a shots fired for some)

The only reason I put linus on the list is that I cannot see anyone in town trying to hurt him. Honestly not even Morris. The closest thing is when Sebastian decides to huck a potato at the mountain.

People in need of therapy.
Kent-Ptsd
Shane-substance abuse and recovery
Pam-substance abuse and recovery
Abigail-coping with loss and pica
Leah-substance abuse
Linus-possible self esteem/paranoia.
Leo-feral child syndrome
Clint-Simpingtons disease (might be a shots fired for some)

The only reason I put linus on the list is that I cannot see anyone in town trying to hurt him. Honestly not even Morris. The closest thing is when Sebastian decides to huck a potato at the mountain.
Kent, yes
Shane & Pam, yes
But all others I don't see as in need for therapy. Strangeness, shyness etc. is not illness - otherwise 95% of the world would be in need for therapy! :happy:

But it would be nice, when the player could help some NPCs to fulfill their wishes and dreams. And in the forum here are some suggestions about this already.

Kent, yes
Shane & Pam, yes
But all others I don't see as in need for therapy. Strangeness, shyness etc. is not illness - otherwise 95% of the world would be in need for therapy! :happy:

But it would be nice, when the player could help some NPCs to fulfill their wishes and dreams. And in the forum here are some suggestions about this already.
Actually mental disease often is undiagnosed. I mean we all can see that Demetrius is definitely a man who is high functioning but has autism which unfortunately leads to mis understandings with his wife. Abigail and her eating minerals with no nutritional value is a definite sign of pica which can lead to death or injury.

And the rest is correct as you said 95% of the world does need therapy. It's not something to be ashamed of. People are often locked into roles that they cannot escape manifesting into traits that are disruptive to themselves and others. Sometimes people just need a sounding board to there issues so they can see what's going on.

So yes get them into to therapy so they can be the best themselves they can be!

Actually mental disease often is undiagnosed. I mean we all can see that Demetrius is definitely a man who is high functioning but has autism which unfortunately leads to mis understandings with his wife. Abigail and her eating minerals with no nutritional value is a definite sign of pica which can lead to death or injury.

And the rest is correct as you said 95% of the world does need therapy. It's not something to be ashamed of. People are often locked into roles that they cannot escape manifesting into traits that are disruptive to themselves and others. Sometimes people just need a sounding board to there issues so they can see what's going on.

So yes get them into to therapy so they can be the best themselves they can be!
Abigail eats minerals? Maybe I havent seen that info yet!? Hmmm.
Anyway. Being "high functional" or having bad eating habits is not a sign of illness in my eyes. Everybody has strange, very own habits. That's totally normal.

And if "people just need a sounding board to there issues" I think they should exit facebook/WA etc. and meet real friends, have a drink and just talk. For me it seems many people don't see these internet-look-ins and forget the real world over it. Having good friends is the best "therapy" one can have and going in therapy is just a very weak replacement!
Nobody has to be ashamed of going in therapy. But one should save that money and better buy some friends a coffee or beer instead! 😎
Maybe the world needs more ease and liberality, instead of seeing need of therapy by 95% of all people.

@Freizeitfarmer your hecka right about people hoping off and buying coffee for a friend. However the problem is maintaining relationships with said friends. People tend to lose friends and not replace them as they age. Think in elementary school you probably had 3-7 good (non familial) friends. By the time you graduate it tends to be 2-5. By the Tim you get married 2-3 and if you have kids your lucky to keep one.

And when I'm talking friends here I'm not talking Chuck from work that you talk to at the water cooler or June from church that you wouldn't bother to try to talk to unless you saw her after service. I'm talking about the ones you would invite to family dinners(my family regularly would bring guest to the Thanksgiving meals on my aunt's ranch,) or take camping or trust with your kids.

Those people who lose friends aren't abnormal they are the normal. It sad that as we get preoccupied with our lives we lose contact with others but that's what happens. There are behavior studies on this topic. It points out thats why AA is so good for some people(no support otherwise) verses those who it fails who typically have people to talk to(though they may be drinking with.....looking at the Shane fans who keep giving him beer).

Also sometimes it just helps talking with a neutral party that just isn't part of your social circle so that you can get a non bias response.

It either case it's been nice talking on this subject and I thank you for a rational Convo. Your always great to talk with on the forums.

Pluffy

Planter
Abigail eats minerals? Maybe I havent seen that info yet!? Hmmm.
If you give Abigail a Quartz she says "Hey, how'd you know I was hungry? This looks delicious!" it apparently was just might to about food, but accidently left it for everything in her liked gifts, which fans started making jokes of that, chucklefish decided to keep it, and added a marriage quote

It's my headcanon that amethyst are her favorite to eat. (I guess in the game her teeth are better off.)

@Freizeitfarmer your hecka right about people hoping off and buying coffee for a friend. However the problem is maintaining relationships with said friends. People tend to lose friends and not replace them as they age.
Yeah, it's sometimes hard to maintaining relationships; and even more to get new friends when having work and family to organize. But I think the main point here is, that kids are much more open and dont question personalities. They take friends much more the way they are.
And I think that's the way to go for adults too. We should take it more easy and act with more liberality.

Also sometimes it just helps talking with a neutral party that just isn't part of your social circle so that you can get a non bias response.
That's true and also totally fine. But it should be an addition if needed and no replacement for meeting and befriending with others.

It either case it's been nice talking on this subject and I thank you for a rational Convo. Your always great to talk with on the forums.
It's not just me - takes always at least two for a conversation! ;-)

I just would like SDV the way to make/take friends as they are. Having the NPCs shy, strange or quirky is fine.
We already can help Shane, it would be nice for Kent & Pam too. But I would not like to see Linus or Leo etc. changed.

If you give Abigail a Quartz she says "Hey, how'd you know I was hungry? This looks delicious!" it apparently was just might to about food, but accidently left it for everything in her liked gifts, which fans started making jokes of that, chucklefish decided to keep it, and added a marriage quote

It's my headcanon that amethyst are her favorite to eat. (I guess in the game her teeth are better off.)
Thanks. I had not noticed or had forgotten... :flushed:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that having dialogue that shows how he's coping would be really nice. I don't think there's anything wrong with someone wanting some positive dialogue in a game that, as a whole, is pretty positive. I think most people in the game who are ultimately going through certain things tend to have positive dialogue later as you get up in friendship level, while you don't really get that much with Kent. Even one or two lines talking about how he and Jodi did something nice or that he was watching birds or something would be cool.