Is Juice really always a juice?

tornadojack

Sodbuster
There are many vegetables in the game. I can produce juice from them in keg.
But I can hardly imagine juice from some of them. Potato juice, or fern juice, or rice juice, or eggplant juice.
About potato "juice" there's a hint in Pam's quest saying that it is an alcohol, but nowhere else.

Maybe it makes sense to call it somehow else?
I do not know English word for it, but in Russian it is "брага", light alcohol from fermented vegetables.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, yes, a lot of the vegetables in the game being made into juice seems odd. Believe me, I get it. Eggplant juice? Fern juice? WTF??? I think THAT is exactly why the quest from Pam asks for potatoes put through kegs... because all of us would expect potatoes in kegs to come out as vodka. It's all a meta joke.

There are many vegetables in the game. I can produce juice from them in keg.
But I can hardly imagine juice from some of them. Potato juice, or fern juice, or rice juice, or eggplant juice.
Rice Juice
Yes, it exists.
Soju in Korea and Sake in Japan from Eastern countries. I noticed that CA added Asian foods to the game. Why not the alcohol?
I am pretty sure a lot of Asian farmers would be appreciated.

Yes, the Rice bottle is green just like the soju.
1632926494282.jpeg

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it's done for simplicity. Melon is a fruit but is used for pickles more than jams. Peppers make sense to ferment into hot sauce in a keg. Coconut jelly while it does exist is not how the game portrays it. It's just easier than assigning individual recipes to the makers

People use Coconut Oil.

Once we couldn't make sugar, once we couldn't make cooking oil. So there's no reason why not to one day make vinegar. Then we can be the ones putting Pierre out of business, rather than Joja.

It would be nice to make most all the cooking ingredients yourself, but I don't like the putting Pierre out of business idea.
Maybe he is the one buying your stuff to sell to the townspeople, or Morris if your on the Joja route.

As for potato juice potentially being an alcohol. It sounds kindda like potato vodka.

imnvs

Local Legend
Suggesting that we be able to craft vinegar is not new.

A thread just about that suggestion: Vinegar is the only cooking ingredient we can't make ourselves.
It was also mentioned in the following threads: More Recipes? and If 1.5 only added one new feature, what would you want it to be?

I've supported the idea before and still support it. Rice and apples could both be used to make vinegar, but honestly any wine should be able to be used to make vinegar. That's the process, actually, sugary something -> alcohol -> vinegar. (Vinegar is created by the oxidation of ethanol into acetic acid.)

So I would suggest that we can take rice juice or any wine, and put it in a machine... though I think it could be problematic to have that machine be a keg. People could accidentally pull wine out and put it right back in. Perhaps a new machine?

Otherwise it may just be simpler to have rice in a keg be vinegar instead of juice.

Last edited:

Anhaga

Rancher
Rice Juice
Yes, it exists.
Soju in Korea and Sake in Japan from Eastern countries. I noticed that CA added Asian foods to the game. Why not the alcohol?
I am pretty sure a lot of Asian farmers would be appreciated.

Yes, the Rice bottle is green just like the soju.
View attachment 6533
Soju is delicious. When I think of "rice juice," though, I also think of horchata, a Mexican drink made from uncooked white rice. That would be kegged, too, but would only take a little longer than coffee or tea.

I wish that doing an initial kegging of most fruits and veg would just give you juice, and then adding that juice would produce wine, beer, vodka, soju, etc. And that you could then cask most things to either make aged wine/beer or to make vinegar. That may be more complicated than most people want to get, though.