Solved [HELP] Game won't launch on pc (via steam)

Niffry

Greenhorn
I found another thread of a user having similar problems to me (https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/help-game-will-not-start.3413/#post-52966), but none of the advice given in it really helped me.

Wrote down what I could find while doing some of the suggested troubleshooting:
  • Delete the startup_preferences file in %AppData%/StardewValley (Folder does not exist)
  • Go into the game file directly (you can find this by right clicking game in steam library > properties > local files > browse local files...) and then into the folder titled “_CommonRedist”, then “XNA”, then “4.0”, then “xnafx40_redist” installer. Once there, run the installer and hit repair. (Folder does not exist despite me having both removed and reinstalled the liked software)
  • If you don’t have SMAPI installed, right-click on Stardew Valley in Steam, then go to Properties > Set Launch Options, and make sure it is empty. (Already tried but didn't work)
  • If you are running the software "RivaTuner", exit out of it completely before running the game (Don't use RivaTuner)
  • Go to Device Manager > System Devices and check if there is something called "FrescoLogic Display Adapter". this can cause incompatiblity issues (From what I can tell everything should be up to date and I could not find the "FrescoLogic Display Adapter" among the listed system devices)
I've honestly tried to get the game to work on my PC for months by now with seemingly nothing working which is kind of a bummer since I do love the game and have put nearly 300 hours into it on a different device (still via steam). Are there maybe any other programs/system devices that are known to interfere with the game?
Any other advice in general would be greatly appreciated since I just can't seem to figure out what's wrong.

For the XNA files; the folder location was changed a while back. So, those old instructions no longer apply(plus the upcoming update won't need it). I have a comment on the Steam forums about how to find them: https://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/1/3109141414229298489/#c3109141414230929156

However, you mentioned "%AppData%/StardewValley (Folder does not exist)". Which I'm guessing means no error logs either? Though, if there are; please post them here.
If so, you might have the same issue as the user in the linked thread. Where it was their Anti-Virus software blocking the game from launching.

Niffry

Greenhorn
Will see if any of it helps. Also I don't think my Anti-Virus is doing anything (since I should've set it to make exceptions for Steam/Stardew Valley), but can double check it.
Thanks in advance!

Edit: Did everything with the XNA files and nothing changed. You are also correct in that there are no error logs. Will have to look more in depth into my anti-virus just in case, since simply pausing it doesn't really do anything.

Last edited:
Yea, just pausing the AntiVirus wouldn't work if it already deleted, or locked some of the game files. You'd have to verify your game files after whitelisting the game.

Verifying Files On Steam:
1. Rightclick on SDV, and click 'Properties' on the popup
2. Head to 'Local Files'
3. Then click on "Verify Integrity of game files"

---
While waiting to see if that was the issue. A few other things I can think of.

Could be a permission issue that requires you to run Steam/SDV as admin on your system. So, you could try and right-click on the shortcut/executable and select 'run as admin'.
And as part of the above; you can try just running the game directly.

1. Rightclick on SDV, and click 'Properties' on the popup
2. Head to 'Local Files'
3. Then click "Browse" to load up the game's install location.

I know you confirmed there's no logs. But, any system specs you can provide though? Like OS version or something.

---

Lastly, there is a beta going on for the upcoming update that may help with running the game: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/stardew-valley-1-5-5-technical-update-beta.8893/post-52269

Niffry

Greenhorn
I actually managed to start the game without even touching my antivirus by trying out the beta for the new update, thank you so much!
Will keep this thread saved just in case I ever run into any future difficulties :)

Bernt

Newcomer
Hi, I just created an account so that I could respond. I started having issues starting the game ever since I tried to install some mods. I got rid of them all, verified game cache, etc etc, and nothing worked. Turning on the compatibility beta made the game start!

I turned off the beta just to double-check whether this is what solve it and sure enough turning off beta made SDV stop launching again. For whatever reason, turning on Beta worked... weird. I would have never thought of that. Thank you Niffry.

YeahItsRyan

Newcomer
i went into properties and went to the bottom where it says launch options and deleted stardewvalleymodding and %command% and it works perfect now

neon_on

Newcomer
i went into properties and went to the bottom where it says launch options and deleted stardewvalleymodding and %command% and it works perfect now
i created an account just to thank you !!! Icouldnt start it until i tried ur solution 1! tytytytt