Solved [HELP] Game will not start

Hello,

I have the following problem:
When I start the game via Steam, I get a message that the game is starting, then nothing happens.

If I start the game via the exe also nothing happens.

I have already checked the files several times for errors, reinstalled the game several times (also everything with admin rights) and deleted all Game Files an reinstall.

The folder in %appdata% also does not exist for me or there are only the cloud game saves in it.

I have no idea what I should do, I hope you can help me

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
Here is the normal checklist of things to try when Stardew won't launch:
  • Delete the startup_preferences file in %AppData%/StardewValley
  • Go into the game file directly (you can find this by right clicking game in steam library > properties > local files > browse local files...) and then into the folder titled “_CommonRedist”, then “XNA”, then “4.0”, then “xnafx40_redist” installer. Once there, run the installer and hit repair.
  • If you don’t have SMAPI installed, right-click on Stardew Valley in Steam, then go to Properties > Set Launch Options, and make sure it is empty.
  • If you are running the software "RivaTuner", exit out of it completely before running the game
  • Go to Device Manager > System Devices and check if there is something called "FrescoLogic Display Adapter". this can cause incompatiblity issues.
Please try any of those you haven't already done and let me know if anything works

• Delete the startup_preferences file in %AppData%/StardewValley (I do not have this folder. )
  • Go into the game file directly (you can find this by right clicking game in steam library > properties > local files > browse local files...) and then into the folder titled “_CommonRedist”, then “XNA”, then “4.0”, then “xnafx40_redist” installer. Once there, run the installer and hit repair.(I do not have this folder.)
  • If you don’t have SMAPI installed, right-click on Stardew Valley in Steam, then go to Properties > Set Launch Options, and make sure it is empty. (I dont have installed SMAPI)
  • If you are running the software "RivaTuner", exit out of it completely before running the game (I dont use RivaTuner)
  • Go to Device Manager > System Devices and check if there is something called "FrescoLogic Display Adapter". this can cause incompatiblity issues. (All Driver are up to date and i had no FrescoLogic Display Adapter)

Woitte

Greenhorn
Opening back up, none of those steps work. When I download and install the file it does not add the folder to that section but a different one and the game does not function.

Last edited:

rocheasaurus

Newcomer
I'm having the same problem as the original poster. Same issues as listed before:
  • Delete the startup_preferences file in %AppData%/StardewValley (I do not have this folder. )
  • Go into the game file directly (you can find this by right clicking game in steam library > properties > local files > browse local files...) and then into the folder titled “_CommonRedist”, then “XNA”, then “4.0”, then “xnafx40_redist” installer. Once there, run the installer and hit repair.(I do not have this folder.)
  • If you don’t have SMAPI installed, right-click on Stardew Valley in Steam, then go to Properties > Set Launch Options, and make sure it is empty. (I dont have installed SMAPI)
  • If you are running the software "RivaTuner", exit out of it completely before running the game (I dont use RivaTuner)
  • Go to Device Manager > System Devices and check if there is something called "FrescoLogic Display Adapter". this can cause incompatiblity issues. (All Driver are up to date and i had no FrescoLogic Display Adapter)
I tried clicking on the link from ConcernedApe but that link is now a 404 error. Any users have suggestions?

Zay2k

Greenhorn
I'm having the same problem as the original poster. Same issues as listed before:
I tried clicking on the link from ConcernedApe but that link is now a 404 error. Any users have suggestions?
I had the same problem as you, and checked Wayback Machinefor the download link for XNA. The last snapshot from 2021-01-18 has the download for now.

https://web.archive.org/web/2021011...com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=20914

This worked for me.