Switch [BUG] Stutter/Lag on same TV split screen

YuukiLogic

Newcomer
[LAG] 1.5.4 vanilla switch Online multiplayer - unbearably bad lag spike in Skull Cavern when fighting dinos because of their fire breath.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I host a vanilla online multiplayer game on v1.5.4 with me and two other friends on the switch - while we do get some lag randomly here and there, it isn't usually too bad other than maybe waiting about 10s at most on the worst parts.

However - yesterday, we were in Skull Cavern and got a prehistoric floor which wasn't bad in itself, but whenever we tried to attack the dinosaurs in there, our games would lag for a good 30-45s in 10-25s intervals to the point where we couldn't see what we were doing or what we were fighting because once the dinosaurs start attacking with their fire breath, the game slows down so badly that we physically can't move away to get out of the attack until we're on critically low health.

I know we expected some lag due to regional differences (players are from different time zones) but this one floor became completely unplayable - we're not sure what we could do in the future to help lessen the lag, or if we should just try to avoid prehistoric floors all together, but this has been the absolute worst lag patch we've hit so far and we're in year 2.

We've read that this issue happens often on split-screen play for the switch, but haven't really seen anything on Online multiplayer play having a similar issue until now.

(Please let me know if this is in the wrong section!)

Homie

Cowpoke
I'm having the stutter issue on Switch as well but I only play in single player hand-held mode. It happens at random times - no correlation to any particular activity or when a lot may be going on on screen. Half the time it's when I'm walking along not doing anything yet.

Stardoo

Greenhorn
Made an account just to chime in, also experiencing random lag spikes as well as 0-1 fps with dinos in skull cavern breathing fire.

Really upsetting since I've been playing with my partner for a few dozen hours now dealing with the occasional lag spike but the 0-1 fps is horrible.

Velhotuli

Newcomer
This is ongoing with playing online co-op with someone as well. It happens to my wife and me at least once every in-game day but nothing seems to specifically trigger it

pepsithat

Greenhorn
Hi all, just made an account to talk about this. My friend and I co-op very often and have noticed the game freezes every 5-10 mins. This gets frustrating after a while. However I want to note something ELSE that has happened as well - our game is freezing still (we've been playing for almost a year) but now our game crashes and we lose the days progress. This is very frustrating and is really ruining our fun. Anyone else have this problem? Freezing has gotten much worse now than it was months ago and now this crash happens randomly as well.

Kitkatnik

Greenhorn
I've experienced the same issue. I've been playing on online co-op and usually when I'm playing by myself, it's fine. But the moment my two roommates join in, my game starts to freeze. It's random, but I noticed it happens when they change rooms / town areas or if we're all doing something at the same time. My game may stay frozen for just a second or up to longer than a minute. I've missed 20+ minutes of in game time just from staying frozen. My roommates game also freeze, but not as bad as mine. But it's impactful if we're in the mines (we've died a lot) or fishing (lost fish that we were trying to catch).

womanofbalnain

Newcomer
I have this problem but I'm single player on the switch. I will have a lag that lasts long enough to miss fish or take a lot of hits in the mines. I haven't timed it, but it does happen multiple times per game play.

ArikuSama

Newcomer
Made an account to comment on this, my wife and I started a farm together a couple of weeks ago, we play SplitScreen on a Switch V2, the game stutters on random, it doesn't matter if we are in the same location, it happens even when just walking around, it is really frustrating when fishing and fighting. We encountered our first PepperRex in Skull Cavern and died after he started breathing fire because the game froze, a serpent appeared and killed both of us because we couldn't eat.

wingfoot

Newcomer
Seeing the same thing here on switch split-screen co-op. Sometimes the stutter seems to line up with a specific action such as moving to a new screen or opening an inventory menu, but it also seems to happen at random just while walking around. As others have mentioned, it makes fishing and fighting rather frustrating.

Sirsnipes

Farmhand
Hello,
I have been searching everywhere to find an answer hopefully this finds the right person. My GF and I play local Co-op with myself as the host and not even sure if its SVE related but everytime she goes into town the game Lags extremely hard to the point it drops down to 1 fps and is unplayable. It also spawns her in random places when transitioning from one area to another for example from farm to bust stop it puts her in the enclosed fenced area on the bottom of the map and she cant move. I have started a new save, same thing. Any ideas? I have tried researching any reports for bugs from a local coop perspective and cannot find any.

Bastol

Newcomer
1.5.4.2 still happening. Occasional stutter where split screen game freezes for a few frames but actions, sounds and Time still pass. Btw this behavior is present on emulators (yuzu) as well so it seems to be a software issue.

Winter_Harvest

Newcomer
I found a reliable trigger for the extreme lag bug on the switch co-op split screen. Whenever a player a player encounters a pepper Rex and it performs its fire breath attack the frame rate drops greatly. The lag occurs for both players.

MrSepp

Greenhorn
Is there any chance this issue will get fixed after nearly an 3/4 year? Or simply getting a response at least? Is there any chance to help at the fixing process or debugging? At the moment the game is simply unplayable in multiplayer/split screen on the switch for everyone, thats simply a fact. I'm recurring watching this thread every week since April 2021 cause not only we are waiting to continue the game someday. The game is at the latest no longer playable from beginning being on the ginger island, cause you're simply dying 12893612893 times instead of only having annoying freezes every few seconds. Also there is no build-in function to transfer the savegame to pc or export the savegame, to be able to continue it on another platform. So everyone who was or is buying the game for split screen / multiplayer gaming on the switch is simply being or feeling scammed (as you can see at the comment before), i cannot imagine that this is a desirable state?

I really appreciate your work. What has become of Stardew Valley can be described as incomparable marvelous. Perhaps the fact, there is nothing comparable to Stardew Valley is so frustrating in relation to what state the Switch version is in. Thanks a lot. :)

Stan Rae

Farmhand
Same issue on Switch split screen coop. First generation Switch. Stutter and freeze for about a second. Happens roughly every 5 to 10 minutes. Seems to happen more frequently in the mine.
Any confirmation that this bug is being addressed?

emibee

Newcomer
Made an account just to say this as well - just started playing on a brand new OLED Switch, local co-op/split screen. The game freezes/stutters every few minutes making fishing/combat very difficult. As we progress through the game and reach more difficult content it will be borderline unplayable.

Really hope there will be a fix for this issue as we have been really enjoying ourselves - it seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same problem and it would be awesome if it could be addressed. Thank you :)

Scorch91

Cowpoke
Any news or official statement from the developer? I saw the performance survey for the PC but nothing of this sorts for the switch. It feels like we won't get a fix for switch anytime soon, if ever, with the development of the new game.

Stan Rae

Farmhand
Problem gets worse as you progress further into the game. Any news on a fix or if the problem will be addressed? This is essentially game breaking once you get later into the skull caverns and ginger island. Incredibly disappointing.