Switch [BUG] Stutter/Lag on same TV split screen

sylavance

Newcomer
Using 2 player split screen after newest update on same console, there appears to be fairly frequent stuttering which is affecting game play. It happens on both screens, sometimes seemingly randomly, but oftentimes when a player enter or leaves a screen (like from farm to village), or enters the other player's screen view. Have restarted switch, didn't solve anything there.

Tarpii

Greenhorn
I've seen this too is it's pretty minor but enough to be noticeable. I don't think it needs a player to be entering or leaving an area though?

P.S still love this game, doubled dipped on PC last week, because it's just so good.

pSouzaaa

Newcomer
I'm having the same problem...
It happens between 2 to 3 times a day...only in split screen mode... In some activities, like fishing, it can affects the gameplay..

Same issue here. There isn't a clear trigger. Sometimes it's when one player changes location, but not always, and not even when both change location at nearly the same time. Sometimes it's while one is cutting down trees. Sometimes it's while one is just fishing and the other is walking.

It's different from input lag, and setting the TV to game mode doesn't help. It's a big issue in both fishing and dangerous mine situations.

trinity014

Greenhorn
Same issue here. Switch, 2-player splitscreen. Get a bad, 1-second stutter randomly. Usually happens at the worse times, i.e. fishing or mining.

Kalumbo

Greenhorn
This is noticeable, though it appears random, not sure if there is anything specific that triggers it. Switch, split screen mode.

Jshelly87

Newcomer
Having the same issue. We tried two different switches (1 original model and 1 newer model), both experience the ~1 second lag bursts in split screen multiplayer.
Makes combat in the mines and fishing very challenging.
A similar, but different issue, is I also noticed that thunderstorms in summer cause significant slow down in split screen multiplayer. Makes the game run at like 80% speed.

Celluloid

Tiller
I saw this was added to the common bug report list. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the issue I have, but it sounds exactly the same. I'm experiencing these kind of freezes in multiplayer since 1.4.4. My friends didn't have it at first, but are now dealing with the same issue since 1.5.4. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to other posts, but I ruled out a lot of possible fixes in my post for this problem. It might add value to hopefully fixing this.

Name of the post: [BUG] Multiplayer game freezing every 1/2 minute(s)

ijac

Greenhorn
Seeing lag with 2 player split screen on Switch. I could be mistaken but it might be related to loading. When something is loading it pauses/stutters for a split second or sometimes multiple seconds

Scorch91

Cowpoke
Same here. Happens every other minute. Screen freezes, game continues, characters jump positions from one frame to the next. Happens regardless of wheather we are in the same or in a different area

Vampireofwind

Newcomer
I have seen the lag everyone else is talking about on the switch where it lags for about a second every once in awhile; however, Spoilers Ahead

The lag gets terrible when fighting dinosaurs in the Skull caverns it will lag and basically freeze the gameplay for about 2-5 seconds whenever a dino breathes fire which is not a time you want to be lagging. It doesn't seem as bad if only 1 person is on the Dino floor but it still lags for 2-3 seconds. Should I make a separate topic for this specific lag?

ahc

Newcomer
Sometimes the lag I get is random, but here are the times I've also consistently seen lag when playing on TV split screen:
  • +1 to when Skull Cavern dinosaurs start spewing flames. This is the worst lag I've seen so far in the game, also 2-5ish seconds where the screen completely freezes and controller keeps vibrating indicating a player is taking damage.
  • Typically when I swipe my Galaxy Sword as fast as possible to kill the little slimes that spawn from Skull Cavern large slimes, I see a lot of damage numbers pop up. This scenario pretty consistently lags the game as well. If I swipe my sword slower there is usually not as much lag.
I tried turning off controller vibration but that doesn't seem to improve anything.

Not sure if these are related to the regular random lags though.

Usurer

Newcomer
I'm going to add a +1 to this. Inputs seem to still register while the stutter occurs. If one player is walking they will see a 1-2 second stutter and then the sprite appears where one would expect it to be after that same duration.

I am also getting noticeable frame drops with the same sort of pattern. If I had to guess I'd say in the sub-10fps range, it's a bit headache inducing.

Only seems to happen in split screen mode. The GF hasn't complained to me about it happening in her single player world (which does pre-date 1.5.4 if that could have any effect on things).

Walkercat

Greenhorn
That Bug is not as minor, as some say. It happens like every 40 seconds and makes high Tier fishing and cavern fighting mostly impossible. Also I can confirm thunderstorm in summer makes the fps go very low, like 25 fps.... Playing on switch on Samsung qled 4k tv

OatMilk

Newcomer
I have been getting unplayable lag on the Nintendo Switch in split screen when encountering the pepper rex. A lot of lag in general but those monsters breathing fire make both screens freeze until they stop.

bigmac2468

Cowpoke
I am also experiencing the same lag/stuttering issues described here. My wife and I just started a game together.
Usually she will be mining/fighting and the lag makes anything else, especially fishing, pretty frustrating.

musicmoves

Newcomer
Experiencing this, it seems to be a loading problem, either when someone walks into a new area, or when finding an item ie digging something up, catching a fish, etc. Mining/combat is difficult with this bug, fishing is almost impossible after a certain point. Not sure if it’s the same problem or a different problem, but during fishing the green bar will suddenly shoot to the bottom or the top of the screen, after one of the 1 second skips or pauses or whatever you want to call it.

benpetersen

Greenhorn
Also experiencing lag in the Skull Cavern when dinosaurs spew fire when on the Switch via 2 player split screen. The more dinosaurs breathing fire at you, the worse it is. It usually lags until they stop breathing fire, or die, so it's difficult to know where you are, if you've killed the monster, or if you're near death. Usually this means, killing one, running in the hopefully right direction, eat some food, and run towards them again.