Switch [BUG] Stutter/Lag on same TV split screen

99potions

Greenhorn
My wife and I just recently purchase for the Switch and are having the same issues as everyone else. The game plays decently in single player but split-screen multiplayer has constant stuttering regardless of what we're doing. The freezing/lag started when I first joined her new-ish farm but the issues seem to get worse as our farm grows, or with non-sunny days.

whytwoswords

Newcomer
Like many others in this thread, I made an account just so I can comment that I'm having the same issue.

When my wife and I play split screen we get frequent lagging and stuttering that gets worse the bigger our farm gets. We also experience the pepper rex lag that lasts 5 to 10 seconds whenever it breathes fire.

Our game has crashed several times, usually when one or both of us is deep in skull cavern but it's happened randomly as well.

I really hope this is fixed in a new update.

carlyrbz

Newcomer
Playing split screen with my fiancé, and going into skull cavern together is basically unplayable - especially when any dinosaur is present. Would freeze for about 5-7 seconds, which would keep you guessing on where you are, where your health is and if you killed any of them. The game would be totally fine though if I went in the skull cavern separately and encountered any dinosaurs.
Unsure of any fixes at the moment - we’ve tried disconnecting it from the TV and getting through with just the switch screen to no avail. Any advice would be much appreciated! (:

SoCrates

Newcomer
Does anyone know if there's been any movement on a fix for this issue? Trying to play split screen with a friend, been trying to run Skull Cavern but the dinosaurs that breathe fire make the game lag so hard. I'm talking like 5-10 seconds of 2fps. Outside of the skull cavern, the game will lag every few minutes, the lags here are only a second long or so. Noticable when it rains, or in the Fall when the leaves are falling on the screen. I really truly hope there's a patch fix for this in the works.

Moxeem

Newcomer
Hi everyone ! I have to say that I have hundreds of hours sunk into this game on the switch, and have only now started playing coop.

Last year, I started noticing a hick-up or two while playing single-player, but it was rare enough and didn't really bother me too much, although it was a bit annoying. Now that I've started playing split-screen co-op, I see it happening every few minutes. The stutter is random : in mines, while fishing, while changing from one area to the next. Sometimes, it means death, other times, missing a fish, etc.

I've read through the rules of the forum and I apologize if this has been said somewhere, but does ConcernedApe read this forums for the bugs? An acknowledgement of this bug would be great, as someone in a similar thread said he has been noticing this for at least 2 years.

Anyway, I hope we can obtain any kind of update on this. I look forward to hearing from anyone, really! :)

Cheers!

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I've read through the rules of the forum and I apologize if this has been said somewhere, but does ConcernedApe read this forums for the bugs? An acknowledgement of this bug would be great, as someone in a similar thread said he has been noticing this for at least 2 years.
He does read through the bug forums, but he's been pretty busy and working on multiple projects so he may not post in the threads. Posting here is definitely the best way to keep him aware of bugs and issues

donutdog

Newcomer
Also gonna jump in here, I’m getting this issue too. Two player local split-screen co-op, the game lags every few minutes for a second. It was bearable until we got to skull caverns- the dinos up the lag tremendously and we have to leave any dino levels immediately because it’s unplayable. Hopefully this gets a fix eventually!

Kryuko

Newcomer
Hello to everyone.
I subscribed to this forum only to say that we are affected by this bug too.
Nintendo switch, latest version, split screen coop.
I hope you can fix this, is very annoying.

C&J

Newcomer
I am also having the same issue (lag on split screen farms only with newest versions) but I will add if it hasn't been mentioned previously that it also affects Junimo Kart. We have tested this in endless mode and each time one person dies in Junimo Kart, a short pause would happen. Basically, it makes it so that both players cannot be playing Junimo Kart split screen (the short pause is enough to cause the other person to lose).

The lag during fishing, combat, and other activities is more frustrating, but I just wanted to add that. The game is so fun that we still reached perfection a couple of times even with the issues!

slim2123

Newcomer
I made an account just for this. I bought this game speciffically to play multiplayer with my gf and it feels like i wasted my money. Its extremely difficult even in early game to do any sort of task when the hosts game freezes constantly. Pretty upsetting that this seems to have been happening for years and yet it still hasnt been fixed.

ElyElsonFree

Newcomer
I'm also experiencing lag when I fight dinosaurs in skull cavern; I encountered it today when playing on a vanilla server, version 1.5, on switch. I've also experienced it on a vanilla server in 1.5 on PC, both two player servers. when they use their fire breathing attack my switch and PC lagged and it dropped to one fps for my friend that I play with.

Stan Rae

Farmhand
He does read through the bug forums, but he's been pretty busy and working on multiple projects so he may not post in the threads. Posting here is definitely the best way to keep him aware of bugs and issues
any updates from anyone regarding this issue? It was raised YEARS ago and makes local coop unplayable. I started raising an issue with the bug over a year and a half ago… seems like this needs to be escalated. People should not be purchasing the game for multiplayer with a known game breaking bug…

cobra99sc

Newcomer
Bumping this thread to see if there is any update on this issue. Even if CA could respond and give us an update, it would be much appreciated. This bug makes switch online play very hard to do.

young_robot

Newcomer
Just chiming in to confirm what everyone else is saying.

We’ve been experiencing this in split screen co-op on Switch for years now. It wasn’t too bad when we first started our farm but now that we’ve got a huge farm with a lot going on it’s getting to the point where it’s almost unplayable, especially on days when it storms.

I worry that there might not be much of a solution here… the Switch hardware might just not be able to support co-op, not a whole lot that CA can do I don’t think.

Stan Rae

Farmhand
Any chance update 1.6 will address this issue? It seems like maybe adjusting the resolution or framerate could address the issue. Just curious if theres been any thought of doing this/otherwise addressing the issue with the new update.

TechniTiger

Newcomer
I'm also experiencing this issue. I bought this edition if the game to play with my wife when traveling, and initially tossed this issue up to the Internet of a hotel and that just being how it is.
But back home, the game does this while hosting a split screen co-op session before she's even joined. So whatever the issue is has nothing to do with connectivity or even the added strain of 2+players. The co-op mode itself appears to have a flaw in maybe thread handling?

Last edited:

Xaikik

Greenhorn
Created an account to follow this thread. Confirming this issue continues. I purchased this game to only play in multiplayer for the Switch. I am host and am experiencing the freezes (1-5sec) several times within a 5 minute interval. Extremely aggravating. I'm thankful that the person who joins my game only gets them maybe once an hour... but still. Hoping there is a fix on the horizon.

Searching the web only confirms what the others in this thread are saying. This has been an issue for years. Is there even an option for a patched fix. If not, just letting the community know what the issue is and why it can't be patched would be better than silence.

tristo7

Newcomer
made an account to join this thread. started a coop playthrough with my wife yesterday and we get randomly ~1 second lags. very noticeable and makes me really sad. i double dipped to get this on switch so i could play coop with my wife!

Gmaiolo

Newcomer
Everything everyone has said above is still true. Trying to complete Qi’s Junimo Kart quest is literally I’m possible to do with the lag. Especially when doing it together, it will lag every time someone dies.