Switch [BUG] Multiplayer game freezing every 1/2 minute(s)

Jlaundry

Newcomer
This bug is ruining the game for my 7 year old and I. We tried when the pandemic started to play and it ruined it and just came back in hopes this was no longer an issue and it’s ruining it again. Can we please please get some attention on this? Even just an acknowledgment? I signed up to post this because I’m so disappointed.

dukeps

Newcomer
My 6yo and I are also experiencing this issue. We see it on both local network and online modes. It really frustrates her when fishing. We are also seeing many disconnections which cause us to have to restart the day. We play on regular Switch, one docked and one handheld, all latest updates.

imnvs

Local Legend
Can we please please get some attention on this? Even just an acknowledgment?
Um, it has received both attention and acknowledgment. A moderator moved it to Bugs, and that basically means that CA is aware of the problem.

I feel, however, that I should mention that CA doesn't port the game to Switch. That's another company, and since it doesn't affect anyone else, it's that other company's coding that is causing the problem. (I'm forgetting who does it too.) That said, history shows us that CA still tries to fix bugs like this, as in bugs that affect folks on platforms where he didn't actually do the code.

Now, more looking at history, this issue only came about after the last update. Bugs can't be fixed until another update happens, and we know that the next update is big and that's why it has taken a while. It is coming soon, though. Maybe wait until then to come to the conclusion that nothing is being done about it?

Odin

Staff member
Um, it has received both attention and acknowledgment. A moderator moved it to Bugs, and that basically means that CA is aware of the problem.
I will just say to be clear, that we forum mods are not game devs and us taking moderation actions here doesn't necessarily reflect anything beyond that. When someone is asking for an issue to be acknowledged they generally mean by a developer, and with a comment on if or when the issue could be resolved.

CA doesn't port the game to Switch. That's another company, and since it doesn't affect anyone else, it's that other company's coding that is causing the problem. (I'm forgetting who does it too.)
Sickhead Games handles console ports, while The Secret Police handles the mobile versions. You can always double check in the in-game credits or on the wiki's page for Stardew Valley itself! Speaking more generally though, people from both those companies do have forum accounts and are able to respond to and comment on issues.

Bugs can't be fixed until another update happens, and we know that the next update is big and that's why it has taken a while.
Sometimes there are big fix updates/patches in between larger updates, so it's good for people to keep reporting issues!

imnvs

Local Legend
I will just say to be clear, that we forum mods are not game devs and us taking moderation actions here doesn't necessarily reflect anything beyond that. When someone is asking for an issue to be acknowledged they generally mean by a developer, and with a comment on if or when the issue could be resolved.
I understand that, but was speaking more to the point that CA has an account here too. Because it is in the bugs section, I'm sure he's aware of it. Evidence in the past shows us that CA isn't ignoring bugs even when not posting, because let's be honest, he doesn't post much. I just mean that nobody should be jumping to conclusions about whether this issue is being ignored just because he hasn't said something.
Sometimes there are big fix updates/patches in between larger updates, so it's good for people to keep reporting issues!
I understand this too, but again, I was speaking to the fact that we know currently that a big update is about to drop. At this point we should know that we're not going to see any bug fixes until then, so I was suggesting that perhaps just a little more patience would be beneficial before assuming the worst. That's all.

Jowy Avilon

Farmhand
I came looking for a solution to this very issue as well. Got it a few days ago on Switch to play with my girlfriend online, and we're constantly freezing for several seconds at a time. Glad to see we're not the only ones experiencing this issue.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, guys, we know. It'll still continue to happen until you get the update. That's coming soon, though we don't know exactly when and won't know until it happens, basically. Then and no sooner is when you can expect a fix, so posting regularly that it's still happening isn't going to accomplish anything. Please, try to be patient, and when you get the 1.5 update, then see if the bug is still happening.

Anjo

Greenhorn
And then what if it is still happening as of 1.5? Wait another year for 1.6? It would be nice to see this bug acknowledged, that's all.

Anjo

Greenhorn
Okay, guys, we know. It'll still continue to happen until you get the update. That's coming soon, though we don't know exactly when and won't know until it happens, basically. Then and no sooner is when you can expect a fix, so posting regularly that it's still happening isn't going to accomplish anything. Please, try to be patient, and when you get the 1.5 update, then see if the bug is still happening.
Lo and behold, issue is still present as of 1.5 ....

Celluloid

Tiller
Hi all,

Great to see the amount of people that have responded on this issue to get this some attention. I have waited a long time for this update to finally see this problem being fixed. I stopped playing the game at all since it was just game breaking to me.

I just tried the new update, and this problem is still here (just like Anjo said this morning). I have no words for it.

Is this problem known to the company that handles the Switch port and the developer?
Is this problem being worked on?
When can we expect a solution?

It would finally be great to get some answers on these questions, since I am at a point where I would rather refund the game if that was still possible.
My apologies if I sound harsh, but I (and others) keep waiting so long to finally play this game with no game breaking issues. And the wait keeps getting longer and longer.

baconcow

Greenhorn
Made an account to mentioned that I am getting this issue as well. It has happened in both v1.4 and v1.5. It occurs in online co-op and even in splitscreen. The pauses have the potential to end runs (especially in the mines) and ruin activities (i.e. fishing). They appear to be quite random and sometimes happen when we are just walking and not necessarily during screen transitions. The pauses do not happen in solo mode. Given that they occur in splitscreen with the same frequency as online co-op, I would guess that it is not a connection issue. Outside of the pauses, the game runs quite well, Perhaps something memory-related?.

I have Tweeted CA and sent an email without response. I also asked about it on the official Discord and found no solution there.

ChrisSaysHi

Newcomer
I also made an account to say I am experiencing the same issues as everyone here. Does not matter if we are on the same wifi connection or different cities, the freezing happens constantly and is rather annoying.This happens whether we are standing in the farm together or running around doing things separately or togethe. Loading screens are not the cause but sometimes it feels like it makes it worse.

Really wish this would get solved or an update to acknowledge they know of the problem, it feels like we are being ignored.

NeutroTrek

Newcomer
Hey everyone,
I also experience the problem and it gets really annoying. Especially when fighting or fishing.
Is the developer even aware of this issue? It seems that problem is already around for quite some time..

Garo

Newcomer
I bought the game for Switch, when update 1.5 came out, to play it again with my wife in local co-op and we are having the same problem. It's also quite game-breaking, when you want to complete the volcano.

mkid

Greenhorn
Made an account to post that also having this issue, and its happening in local splitscreen / ie no network stuff involved at all. Super annoying when fighting or fishing, has led to my death a couple times in dangerous situations. Its like the video game equivalent of being smacked upside the back of the head randomly every few minutes, where i would normally be chilling and having fun i suddenly become irritated and mildly angry, constantly :(