Switch [BUG] Multiplayer game freezing every 1/2 minute(s)

Peridot

Greenhorn
Hi, I also created an account just to report in: I am also getting this issue nearing October 2021. I'm playing on a Switch Lite, and my co-op partner is playing on a normal Switch. The bug only happens to me, and it happens at random intervals with seemingly no specific triggers. It's frustrating to play and has caused problems when fishing and during combat, especially when time is of the element. This only happens on co-op. The freezes can range from being a couple seconds long to maybe ~10 seconds, which is rather crucial. I haven't seen any 'official' coverage on this issue yet, despite it being extremely detrimental to players enjoying the game. Really considering just playing on PC for co-op instead.

Anjo

Greenhorn
Hello, here for my yearly check in on whether or not this issue has been addressed... not looking too hopeful. :(

KillaaWatt

Greenhorn
Happy to see that all these other people are having the same issue, Just bought the game recently for me and my girlfriend(on switch) after playing days upon days on the Xbox version. The freezing is really annoying and its sad to see even after 2 years this bug seems to still be happening to people. I understand that its not your guy's fault, But the port studios should reach out about the bug fixes and when we are going to be getting them! This bug makes the game a lot less enjoyable and I know im not the only one that thinks it! So if any Devs happen upon this community forum please tell us any updates about if you guys are working on the bug, or if you are waiting till the next update it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

KariArisu

Greenhorn
I have huge regrets over buying the Switch version of the game due to this bug and other issues. I'm pretty shocked that it's been around this long and there isn't any visible progress on how to fix it or what the issue even is.

I bought the game twice so I could play it with my girlfriend, because it's much easier for her to pick up the Switch and play with me than it is to play on PC, generally. But whenever we play Online, my game is always getting 1-7 second freezes occasionally. It's not bad enough to completely ruin it, but it's definitely caused some frustrations. While playing via Local Communication, it works...mostly fine. I still get freezes here and there, but they last like 0.1 seconds or something to the point where I can tell it is happening, but it does not happen long enough to actually disturb gameplay.

However...to even get Local Communication working in the first place, I had to jump through hoops. Apparently once you play a multiplayer save via Online Communication, it stops letting you play via Local Communication. That is...unless you have an empty cabin, for some reason? I guess having the ability to create a new farmer makes it show up in the game list, and then you can just choose to play your existing character.

Hopefully this can get fixed eventually, but I'm not even really sure what we can do about getting it fixed, as I don't think this is something for CA to figure out?

CDale

Newcomer
I'm experiencing this problem as well, so I wanted to ask this. Is anyone with this issue sharing the game with someone on their family account? For example, my wife purchased this game, and we are on the same Nintendo switch family plan. I downloaded the game from her store account onto my switch. We are not able to play locally, receiving the error "downloaded software and downloadable content can only be played on one console at a time," however we are able to play online. I am wondering if the fact that we are using the same game license on 2 different condones is somehow doing a verification check or something similar that is causing the host of the game to freeze periodically.

Note, I'm not against buying two copies of the game, in fact that's what I wanted to do to support the dev. However, since her user account is also active on my switch, the option to download it using my store account was grayed out. I had to log in using her account with the "redownload" option to get the game at all. I'm not sure how I could pay for my own copy without completely deleting her profile on my switch.

flarfy

Newcomer
I'm experiencing this problem as well, so I wanted to ask this. Is anyone with this issue sharing the game with someone on their family account? For example, my wife purchased this game, and we are on the same Nintendo switch family plan. I downloaded the game from her store account onto my switch. We are not able to play locally, receiving the error "downloaded software and downloadable content can only be played on one console at a time," however we are able to play online. I am wondering if the fact that we are using the same game license on 2 different condones is somehow doing a verification check or something similar that is causing the host of the game to freeze periodically.

Note, I'm not against buying two copies of the game, in fact that's what I wanted to do to support the dev. However, since her user account is also active on my switch, the option to download it using my store account was grayed out. I had to log in using her account with the "redownload" option to get the game at all. I'm not sure how I could pay for my own copy without completely deleting her profile on my switch.

I am using a family account to access Nintendo Online Services, but my gf bought the game herself. We run into the same lag spikes as everyone else. At first I thought it was just my game as I was joining her session, but it turns out it happens to her as the host as well. I love the game and played multiple farms on PS4/5 online during quarantine without any issue at all, but this is infuriating on the Switch. I have died to being ganked by mummies while I'm frozen so many times it's not even funny.

Her internet is also not great, but mine is; same problem in both locations. It has to be something with the way the game is run on Nintendo's services if I had to guess. It does stutter when we play split screen, but it doesn't outright freeze for 10 seconds like it does online. I don't have a lot of faith in this getting fixed to be completely honest.

EmuMeemu

Newcomer
It’s 2023 and this is still happening. We got the game for our anniversary and it’s just frustrating and almost unplayable. Any fixes yet?

infinitum7

Newcomer
Infuriating bug. Always seems to happen in the skull cave or in the middle of a hard fish too. Still a thing in May 2023 for anyone googling this.

TechniTiger

Newcomer
This issue persists in all variants of co-op, not just online. Including split screen before a second player has even connected which shouldn't be any more technically complex than the regular single player. Which, to me, strongly indicates a code issue with the co-op mode itself.

Is the Switch version of the game even getting updates anymore though? This may be a permanent part of the game that makes co-op play un-recommendable

mquixaba

Greenhorn
+1

This problem is quite noticeable on couch co-op but It can also be noticed on single player mode, albeit it rarely happens. I'm playing the second year.
I can see the problem playing on docked or undocked modes. The freezes are annoying and they are ruining my experience with the game.

quackquackduck

Greenhorn
Having this issue on multiplayer switch (3 players, 3 consoles). All will freeze at at times, sometimes all at the same time and aometi just 1 person. Happens most game days at some point.

Dave LeDev

Greenhorn
I have found this issue won't exist in a local multiplayer setting until the host takes the session online— local multiplayer isn't affected until after the session is online at least once.

Another thread suggested deleting the first remote-joined-session user, but I think results were mixed, and doesn't help multiplayer exclusive to online.

What is unique between a local and online session, and what changes within the transition? I believe something of this change will be related with the moments of lag.

For our sessions of 2-3 players, the lag (a freezed moment where the clock still ticks) affects everyone randomly, suggesting clients are temporarily losing something in connection, or host is overloaded with sending information, or something else all together. While not verified, lag seems perceptively longer with an additional player.