Switch [BUG] Multiplayer game freezing every 1/2 minute(s)

Stsrbug

Greenhorn
Also happening for me and my friend. Has anyone had any luck going to the switch store and asking for a refund? One of the nice aspects of the game is that it’s so chill, constant freezing really detracts from that for me.

Schnupsi Dupsi

Greenhorn
I started an online-coop game with my girlfriend, we are having the same issues. Random screen freezes for about 3-5 seconds about every 2-3 minutes, but the game seems to continue in the background. Pretty hard annoying, especially while fishing or fighting.
We both have the first gen of the Nintendo Switch, Game is running on the newest update (1.5.4.1).
Hope this is getting fixed someday since its reduces the fun very much.

pepsithat

Greenhorn
Hi all, just made an account to talk about this. My friend and I co-op very often and have noticed the game freezes every 5-10 mins. This gets frustrating after a while. However I want to note something ELSE that has happened as well - our game is freezing still (we've been playing for almost a year) but now our game crashes and we lose the days progress. This is very frustrating and is really ruining our fun. Anyone else have this problem? Freezing has gotten much worse now than it was months ago and now this crash happens randomly as well.

Chemille

Farmhand
Not going to lie, at this point my recommendation is everyone who is experiencing this issue needs to make their own [bug] thread about it, because that is seemingly the only way this will gain any sort of traction and be recognized as an issue happening to multiple people instead of what some might see as a handful.

Chemille

Farmhand
[Original message removed]
Personally, I gave up on this issue getting any sort of traction - I play pc now because this issue hasn't gotten any attention despite updates big and small since. People make posts on threads and it barely gets any sort of interest. In fact, the only interest I've seen lately is with regard to splitscreen and something to do with the NSO app causing issues, which tbf if it was the NSO app this issue wouldn't have pre-dated splitscreen. If people want to be seen, I feel the only way is through making a thread about it - posting in pre-existing threads (even some dated a year back now) doesn't help. They need to get the attention of the devs who do have accounts here. If enough people are discussing it, then it might get visibility. If people just keep posting in the pre-existing threads, those devs with accounts might only see the one thread about it and not think it's a big deal because it's only happening to a handful of people. That's my opinion on it. You don't have to follow an opinion nor agree with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ticklebutt

Greenhorn
I only did multiplayer once with someone. Thought I’d be fun to do it again with multiple peeps! :laugh:

Also with my single player I’m doing, it does kinda freeze at some weird points. :petrified:

liquidcat

Staff member
Not going to lie, at this point my recommendation is everyone who is experiencing this issue needs to make their own [bug] thread about it, because that is seemingly the only way this will gain any sort of traction and be recognized as an issue happening to multiple people instead of what some might see as a handful.
I understand this bug is frustrating but we prefer keeping similar bugs/issues to a single thread because it’s easier for devs to check that way! Having multiple reports in a single thread is also lot faster! I do hope this issue is resolved and you’re free to suggest changes to how we handle duplicate reports in the forum feedback board

Chemille

Farmhand
I understand this bug is frustrating but we prefer keeping similar bugs/issues to a single thread because it’s easier for devs to check that way! Having multiple reports in a single thread is also lot faster! I do hope this issue is resolved and you’re free to suggest changes to how we handle duplicate reports in the forum feedback board
I appreciate keeping it seemless, but I don't see this getting any visibility as it stands. It is what it is. But might I suggest that we have a place to actually take concerns straight to the source instead of making forum posts and threads? I know CA has the help of other devs for console ports, but I have no idea how to reach out to those folks as an alternative to making posts here. I'd rather send an email to the dev team and say "hey, I don't know if you've seen this, but some of the folks experiencing this issue would just like to know that you're aware of it". I think if people knew they were at least aware of the issue, I don't think it'd be such a big deal.

liquidcat

Staff member
I appreciate keeping it seemless, but I don't see this getting any visibility as it stands. It is what it is. But might I suggest that we have a place to actually take concerns straight to the source instead of making forum posts and threads? I know CA has the help of other devs for console ports, but I have no idea how to reach out to those folks as an alternative to making posts here. I'd rather send an email to the dev team and say "hey, I don't know if you've seen this, but some of the folks experiencing this issue would just like to know that you're aware of it". I think if people knew they were at least aware of the issue, I don't think it'd be such a big deal.
Sorry for late reply, I don't have direct solution but I recommend contacting concernedape on twitter and reaching out via <https://www.stardewvalley.net/contact/> or contacting the porting studio via twitter. I personally do not have any info about how often devs check the board but I have seen some really obscure bugs that were posted on this forums being fixed!

imnvs

Local Legend
Personally, I gave up on this issue getting any sort of traction - I play pc now because this issue hasn't gotten any attention despite updates big and small since. People make posts on threads and it barely gets any sort of interest. In fact, the only interest I've seen lately is with regard to splitscreen and something to do with the NSO app causing issues, which tbf if it was the NSO app this issue wouldn't have pre-dated splitscreen. If people want to be seen, I feel the only way is through making a thread about it - posting in pre-existing threads (even some dated a year back now) doesn't help. They need to get the attention of the devs who do have accounts here. If enough people are discussing it, then it might get visibility. If people just keep posting in the pre-existing threads, those devs with accounts might only see the one thread about it and not think it's a big deal because it's only happening to a handful of people. That's my opinion on it. You don't have to follow an opinion nor agree with it.
If the devs see 10 threads over the course of a few months they may not connect that it's the same issue being brought up again. If they see 1 thread with 10 people all saying they're seeing the same bug they know 10 people have the issue while they may have lost track of how many threads they saw. Making new threads does nothing but clutter the forum, and since the forum rules are "1 thread per issue," all you're doing is making the Moderators work harder to close all the duplicate threads and link people to the thread they should have posted in anyway. Seriously, if you and others ignore that rule and post multiple threads in order to get more attention... well, all you're doing is harassing the Moderators, making them do extra work, and it may just result in less attention for the issue you're trying to bring more attention to.

And about not having to agree with your opinion? It doesn't matter if folks do or don't. The rules give you an avenue for attracting attention: getting more people to report the issue in the correct thread.

And my opinion? Cluttering up the thread where folks should be reporting with complaints about it not being fixed yet are just cluttering the reporting thread too, filling it with posts that aren't helping folks workaround the issue and aren't people chiming in with "me too", and it could make it look like less people are reporting the issue which could also result in less attention for the issue. If every post is just folks chiming in that they are getting the issue too, the post count better shows how much priority should be assigned to the issue.

Chemille

Farmhand
If the devs see 10 threads over the course of a few months they may not connect that it's the same issue being brought up again. If they see 1 thread with 10 people all saying they're seeing the same bug they know 10 people have the issue while they may have lost track of how many threads they saw. Making new threads does nothing but clutter the forum, and since the forum rules are "1 thread per issue," all you're doing is making the Moderators work harder to close all the duplicate threads and link people to the thread they should have posted in anyway. Seriously, if you and others ignore that rule and post multiple threads in order to get more attention... well, all you're doing is harassing the Moderators, making them do extra work, and it may just result in less attention for the issue you're trying to bring more attention to.

And about not having to agree with your opinion? It doesn't matter if folks do or don't. The rules give you an avenue for attracting attention: getting more people to report the issue in the correct thread.

And my opinion? Cluttering up the thread where folks should be reporting with complaints about it not being fixed yet are just cluttering the reporting thread too, filling it with posts that aren't helping folks workaround the issue and aren't people chiming in with "me too", and it could make it look like less people are reporting the issue which could also result in less attention for the issue. If every post is just folks chiming in that they are getting the issue too, the post count better shows how much priority should be assigned to the issue.
I don't disagree about rules - my opinion is that they don't work in favor of visibility with this particular issue. As you have said in this reply, which I entirely agree with - devs who do have accounts who may or not being checking the forums for the appropriate console port they're connected to, will in all likelihood not connect the dots on a few sporadic threads with multiple people chiming in. They likely do not check often enough to see them redirected to a main thread.

A large part of the issue with the bug reporting is that it has to be done via PC or mobile. Which for console ports in all seriousness is not conducive to efficiency of bug-catching and fixing and as I said previously, would be better suited if there were crash/bug reports sent directly from console to port team.

But continuing to have this discussion with you in this thread is veering off course from the point of said thread, which is also not helping in efficacy so I will leave it at that.

Chemille

Farmhand
Sorry for late reply, I don't have direct solution but I recommend contacting concernedape on twitter and reaching out via <https://www.stardewvalley.net/contact/> or contacting the porting studio via twitter. I personally do not have any info about how often devs check the board but I have seen some really obscure bugs that were posted on this forums being fixed!
Thank you for your advice. I have reached out via Twitter a few times to CA, but he gets flooded with requests and I know he's in all likelihood not responsible for the bug on the switch and might not even have a clue where to begin searching. I reached out to sickhead not too long ago, but also not sure if they will see it. Hopefully they will. I'll try the other options you shared though. I'd really hate for a continuous best seller on the Switch's top best selling list in eshop have to lose it's spot on the list and face a flood of folks not being happy because of a silly game-breaking bug. This game is too fun with multiplayer for this bug to be making so many drop it.

baconcow

Greenhorn
The last time I tried the game, this bug still persisted. I have tried multiple times to reach out to CA, but I doubt my messages are being read. This game is one of the top selling Switch games. I would like to be able to play co-op without crippling pauses.

Chemille

Farmhand
Could a staff member add this thread to the list of common bug reports? After 2 years of reports, I think this is common enough to warrant a spot in that thread, which may also help with visibility.

Please note that the freezing is different from the lag issue.

Bastol

Newcomer
Exact same symptoms as the other thread about this issue but for split screen multiplayer. So it appears this issue happens on the switch on any kind of multiplayer game.

Tarpii

Greenhorn
I'm experiencing a regular stutter on both screens when split screening on switch. Is this the same issue or should we separate bug reports?

Kappayello

Greenhorn
Hi all, just wanted to add that myself and 2 of my friends are also experiencing this issue still. It happens frequently in both local and online.