Ancient Fruit or Star Fruit, which do you grow?

qaija

Sodbuster
In previous games I have always managed to obtain an ancient fruit seed sometime during the first year and have always consumed almost all (I grow about a dozen pineapple plants too) of my Ginger Island farmable nodes with ancient fruit. My present game I never managed to get an ancient fruit seed and so am in the process of planting Star Fruit on Ginger Island. It is more time consuming to grow than ancient fruit because you have to replant it after each harvest whereas the ancient fruit just keeps on producing, and I also get second and later growths in only 7 days unlike star fruit which takes 13 days to harvest every time you plant it. It seems to me that growing ancient fruit is more profitable in the long run than star fruit even though an individual star fruit is worth more.

Which do you grow?

jedgell233

Greenhorn
In previous games I have always managed to obtain an ancient fruit seed sometime during the first year and have always consumed almost all (I grow about a dozen pineapple plants too) of my Ginger Island farmable nodes with ancient fruit. My present game I never managed to get an ancient fruit seed and so am in the process of planting Star Fruit on Ginger Island. It is more time consuming to grow than ancient fruit because you have to replant it after each harvest whereas the ancient fruit just keeps on producing, and I also get second and later growths in only 7 days unlike star fruit which takes 13 days to harvest every time you plant it. It seems to me that growing ancient fruit is more profitable in the long run than star fruit even though an individual star fruit is worth more.

Which do you grow?
Currently I grow more ancient fruit than starfruit. I have quite a few planted in the green house so they've been producing all year long. I then turn it to wine and age it til iridium star. Takes a very long time but well worth the payout.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I need to obsessively chase down and pet each of my twelve rabbits every single day, so I prefer ancient fruit because it's less time spent caring for them overall. If I didn't have access to ancient fruit, I would pick another regrowable crop. There is so much to do in Stardew Valley that I don't like having to go buy more seeds and replant my crops all the time.

qaija

Sodbuster
Usually I unlock ginger island by sometime in summer where it’s nearly impossible to have any sort of ancient seed cashe so I just use starfruit and slowly transfer over if I want to put the effort into, otherwise I just stay sf
This is what I plan to do FG. I got my first ancient fruit seed from harvesting Star fruit and have planted it. Once my Ginger island farm is full of Star fruit, I will gradually replace it with Ancient fruit as more Ancient seeds become available. The difference between waiting 7 days (for Ancient fruit) and 13 days (for Star fruit) along with having to keep replanting the Star fruit, makes Ancient fruit both more profitable and less time consuming to cultivate.

qaija

Sodbuster
Both. The vast majority of my production is ancient fruit, but I produce as much starfruit wine as I can fit in my cellar for the purposes of aging.
I confess that I am just too lazy to process fruit into wine. Dropping three stacks of fruit into the shipping bin takes but a few seconds; processing it into wine and then aging it is too time consuming for me even though the profits are much greater. By the time I can purchase the Return Scepter from Krobus I'm bored doing the things left to accomplish and prefer to start a new game rather than continue. Which is why I have played more than a dozen games altogether.

I confess that I am just too lazy to process fruit into wine. Dropping three stacks of fruit into the shipping bin takes but a few seconds; processing it into wine and then aging it is too time consuming for me even though the profits are much greater. By the time I can purchase the Return Scepter from Krobus I'm bored doing the things left to accomplish and prefer to start a new game rather than continue. Which is why I have played more than a dozen games altogether.
Ancient Fruit Wine is a one day workweek. On the same day you are harvesting, you're nipping over to your shed to empty and refill the kegs, and drop those off. There's really very little effort involved, which is why it is such a popular strategy. Granted, it does require a bit of infrastructure investment, early oak tree stand for the materials to make the kegs and that sort of thing, but once you get going it really takes off.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I really tried to like Starfruit.

Made it into Pickles for Haley, made it into Wine for Elliot. Sold a bunch of it and pranced around the Joja entrance with g just falling outta my far-too-small pockets just to cheese off Morris.

But, the effort!

Even just growing 10 or so in the Greenhouse to then pop into the Cellar for Wine (that will fill the Cellar almost perfectly over time), was just too much. I want to enjoy my time in-game, not be kaijustomppped by the impending guilt of:

Great Luck Day
Mentally up for Skull Cavern run
Have my Backpack magically empty of 30+ pieces of junk.
Actually have my Ginger Ale and Spicy Eel and Iridium Cheez and Galaxy Sword and Bombs ready

But then... it's Starfroot day.

Just kill me now.

No, no, Ancient Froot loves you today and always by never making you replant it and need to use this Fertilizer or that Speed-Gro or whatever. Always shiny and happy and blue, welcoming you to pick at your leisure.

Butbutbut, you say... you can just wait on that Starfroot as well!

Heh, you don't know yourself well enough do you? If you're going the Starfroot run, you're MIN-MAXXing, you dern fool! You can't skip a single day and still hold your head up high as a min-maxxer if you just skip days willy-nilly.

No, Ancient Froot is for the sensible player who is at one with the Universe.

I like g but don't need to obsess over it.
I want to Farm, but maybe tomorrow.
I'd like to open the Barn door for those whatevers I got in there, but it's allll the way over there.
I'd love to finish the Community Center but this tree's been making that shade just for ages and I'm a very accommodating sort.
That Legend isn't going anywhere.
Willy will totally hold on to that Bamboo Rod for another few years.......

Zzzzzzzz..........

qaija

Sodbuster
I need to obsessively chase down and pet each of my twelve rabbits every single day,

I was having this problem also, with only one rabbit, two chickens, and a duck. I closed the door to the coop before going to bed and the following morning entered the coop, petted each animal, and then opened the door so they could run out.... which they all immediately did!

I almost always get an ancient seed in the mutant bug lair, as a loot drop from the grubs & moths. Another strategy I've used to get an ancient fruit seed is just cranking away at the seedmaker. Anything you put in has a small chance of spitting out mixed seeds or ancient seeds.
I've done summer starfruit, and often have a few in the greenhouse. I have a fairly lazy, silly, not super profit motivated playstyle. Honestly I don't see much money difference between ancient fruit, starfruit, pumpkins, melons...even just blue-cran-strawberries.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
This is what I plan to do FG. I got my first ancient fruit seed from harvesting Star fruit and have planted it. Once my Ginger island farm is full of Star fruit, I will gradually replace it with Ancient fruit as more Ancient seeds become available. The difference between waiting 7 days (for Ancient fruit) and 13 days (for Star fruit) along with having to keep replanting the Star fruit, makes Ancient fruit both more profitable and less time consuming to cultivate.
Actually just pop on some speed gro and starfruit becomes much more profitable.

Deluxe speed gro will make your crops grow in 9 days which is 3 harvests a month and hyper speed gro with agriculturist makes them grow at the same rate as ancient fruit, once a week.

As long as you plant them when you harvest the fertilizer never goes away either, agriculturist is a little bit of a pain but it only takes a single day to swap to artisan to sell then switch back.

Because of ancient fruit growth time, starfruit is still more profitable for the first couple months, due to annoyances and seed costs you’ll definitely want to invest in at least deluxe speed gro from sandy going forward

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I had to rearrange my farm so I would stop forgetting to shut the door at night, but I can report that my rabbits are now all getting petted! (The rest of my animals dislike me, but whatever.)

My number of kegs just outpaced my ancient fruit plants - I'm beginning to regret the wine shed. It's kind of boring.

Clash53

Cowpoke
I prefer ancient fruit then turn it to wine and aged it. It takes time but worth it of the effort more profit easy cash 😁😁😁. I just used some starfruit in ginger island mix with pineapple for more profit usual 😁😁😁.