Ancient Fruit or Star Fruit, which do you grow?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
If you actually split each shed in half, I would sign on as a second player to do nothing but re-sort them all into 4 sheds of each. I'm twitching just thinking about it.

I've decided. The first batch of three will be Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail.
Yeah, no way I feel good about that, even with the rest of my farm and buildings being more triggering than that it still brings pain to me just thinking about it.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Now I'm picturing a shed full of carefully alternated kegs and jars. Yeah, I'd just bomb that thing.

Look, I figured out how to change my avatar pic! (I'm not really that computer illiterate, but I grew up on MS-DOS. This new-fangled mouse is just ... wait, what do you mean everything is touch screen now? *old man yells at cloud*)

qaija

Sodbuster
*old man yells at cloud*

Hey Kiddie! I'm the old man around here, got that? I remember picking up the phone and hearing a voice say, "operator"; milk was delivered in glass bottles with little cardboard caps in a truck that drove around our neighborhood. Computers? Never heard of 'em.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
In my newest challenge I leave the farm only once a month starting summer year 1.

Just ending year 1 andI achieved ancient fruit and have about 15 or so growing in my greenhouse right now.

This summer I hope to get about a field of 1000 starfruit and dsg down, in two batches of 500 as I need to primarily hand water due to massive sprinkler costs.

qaija

Sodbuster
In my newest challenge I leave the farm only once a month starting summer year 1.

Just ending year 1 andI achieved ancient fruit and have about 15 or so growing in my greenhouse right now.

This summer I hope to get about a field of 1000 starfruit and dsg down, in two batches of 500 as I need to primarily hand water due to massive sprinkler costs.
Where did you pick up the Ancient Fruit? And how did you obtain a seed maker to get new seed? And, goodness gracious, how did you ever get a greenhouse? I have NEVER been able to get a greenhouse in the first year because of the requirements for the Animal bundle. How do you manage to get a Deluxe coop and a rabbit, along with duck feather before year two?? Awesome!!

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Where did you pick up the Ancient Fruit? And how did you obtain a seed maker to get new seed? And, goodness gracious, how did you ever get a greenhouse? I have NEVER been able to get a greenhouse in the first year because of the requirements for the Animal bundle. How do you manage to get a Deluxe coop and a rabbit, along with duck feather before year two?? Awesome!!
Well it’s pretty easy with joja, I unlocked the greenhouse on fall 2nd as it was the earliest I could (joja membership in summer and greenhouse in fall).

I can leave once a month, the mines is too much of a time sink so I have to basically buy the vast majority of resources besides wood and coal which I can get in bulk on the farm.

Farming yen was achieved in mid summertime, it’s really not that hard with something like hops. I bought a gold bar and made a seedmaker.

Ancient seed is just a plain .5% chance from the seedmaker. Took me 500 but putting regular quality blueberries into a seed maker actually increases overall sell price. I stupidly only got 1 gold bar so I had to run all 500~ crops through a single seedmaker which was pure pain, got the ancient seed mid fall ish and just finished my full greenhouse of ancient fruit on summer 3rd year 2.

I could have gotten a deluxe coop in year one but would have to wait until year two to fill it. Instead I went for a barn as didn’t really have money in the first trip outside the barn for an instant build so I had to delay it by a month. In retrospect I should have built a silo then but the whole thing would have been a mess.

Now I have a crop field of 500 starfruit and a barn with 12 pigs. Expensive but eventually I’ll be able to use them for constant rain totems as sprinklers literally cost 6000g~

I also need to tap close to 40 pine trees though…

MogBeoulve

Farmer
My new army of twenty-four rabbits is making a strong argument in favor of bombing the greenhouse and spending all day petting bunnies. Considering that I need 32 more cinder shards for deluxe retaining soil before I can start planting pineapples, I'm very tempted.

Needless to say, the starfruit seeds are sitting in a chest.

Randoplants

Farmhand
I use the greenhouse for ancient fruit, and then if I want to grow starfruit anytime of year I do it in my house & sheds with the pots Evelyn teaches how to make. I also do rare seeds that way

Farrow

Sodbuster
Personally, I've only gone for perfection a few times and when I finally did it, (game usually corrupted first) I was mad farming ancient fruit. All of ginger Island my whole (standard) farm and green house were filled. And I was Making use of the quarry and bus stop and such for kegs cause I wanted ten mill for that clock. By this point I'd already set up most of the bee houses for a few mill each day but I was saving it all for a massive sell at the moment I knew I had enough. Overshot by a lot but I couldn't mass scale star fruit nearly as efficiently as I could with ancient fruit.
On a normal playthrough, not a challenge run or perfection, I stick to starfruit as it's nice to be able to source my seeds without seed makers.

MissDandy

Farmer
Ok I am totally late to this thread and I didn't read any of it lol sorry but I grow ancient fruit on ginger island so that it never goes away. On one farm, the whole island is just full of them. Then I turn them all into wine. It makes me money while I work away at other things and I don't even have to think twice about it. For starfruit, it requires too much maintenance if you ask me.

ranboozler

Farmhand
Might be off topic, but I always leave one keg just outside of the shed so I know when it’s ready. Oh, and I’m team ancient fruit. Cheers!
also team ancient fruit and that keg timer thing? Absolutely Genius. i'll have to do that with my wine shed, maybe.
would have to make more kegs first, though..
edit lol: i grow AF in the greenhouse, and starfruit on Ginger Island. once I get the island obelisk i'll put more on there, right now it's just a few rows.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
With the best speed gro and the agriculturalist profession, you can grow starfruit in 1 week, just as often as you have to harvest your ancient fruit. It doesn't take many starfruit to max out what you can put in your cellar.

Elenna101

Farmer
With the best speed gro and the agriculturalist profession, you can grow starfruit in 1 week, just as often as you have to harvest your ancient fruit. It doesn't take many starfruit to max out what you can put in your cellar.
Yeah but then you have to remember to save up the wine until you switch to Artisan and sell it all at once and then switch back, which is too much effort for me. :laugh: YMMV

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Am I the only one who wishes more crops took longer to grow? I plonked my starfruit seeds down at Ginger Island, and my only regret is that there's nothing else with a similar schedule. There's no variety, which I find boring.

Rhiannon

Farmer
Am I the only one who wishes more crops took longer to grow? I plonked my starfruit seeds down at Ginger Island, and my only regret is that there's nothing else with a similar schedule. There's no variety, which I find boring.
That is one reason I grow 2-3 different crops each season on my farm. I have the "main" crop which is usually the best non-ancient fruit/starfruit single crop. So spring is cauliflower. on the perimeter of my planting field, I usually grow something that has multiple harvests. Spring would be strawberries. I can usually get two harvests of the main crop with deluxe speed grow and then try to plant a few other items here and there to round out the season. In my greenhouse I grow 3x24 ancient fruit and 1x24 starfruit. All of this gives me well rounded produce I can then process for selling.

I'm not a min/maxer but instead enjoy the journey of being a farmer. After a few years, I'm rich. I figure hard work, slow and steady wins the race.

imnvs

Local Legend
That nothing else synchs with it is exactly why I take agriculturalist and use hyper speed gro as soon as I get the recipe. That makes it synch with the weekly regrow of my ancient fruit. On the island, so long as you keep replanting, the HSG will last forever, so it's not like you need a lot of it. Then, when your ancient fruit in the greenhouse signal it's time to work, you know it's also time to go out to the island and pick up your starfruit. 20 startfruit per week will make more starfruit wine than you can fit in your cellar, and 20 starfruit per week on the island is nothing. Alternately, you do the 20 starfruit per week in your greenhouse and just plant ancient fruit out on the island.

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Starfruit has a very common growth schedule actually.

Rhubarb and pumpkin are just two examples of crops that also take 13 days to grow, they all get three harvests with deluxe speedgro too!