PC [HELP] Game keeps crashing :( -i'm on mac

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
Hello all , thank you in advance to anyone who will answer, I'm not the best with computers, trying my best!!
Computer :
MacBook Pro (end of 2013), macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.6
16Go 1600Mhz DDR3 Memory, 2?8GHz Intel Core i7 Processor

My issue here is this:
I played SDV earlier today for the first time on my mac, opened the game via steam no problem. Then I decided to install some mods (lots, probably too many), my game started to crash -couldn't play longer than Day 1 around 9 a.m. SO, I decided to delete all the mods and just play without them for now. But now my game AND steam crash everytime i try to play, same thing, around 9 a.m. Day 1, usually after i use a tool like the axe.

Has anyone experienced this? I've just downloaded the game today via steam so I'm not really sure what the issue is.
Thank you so much! :duck:

Last edited:
Mods can alter the saved game data. Are you still trying to play that game you started or have you tried starting a brand new game without any mods?

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
Mods can alter the saved game data. Are you still trying to play that game you started or have you tried starting a brand new game without any mods?
Hey there, initially i went to steam and did the "verify game files" thing and played without installing smapi, then reinstalled smapi and CP and mods, started crashing again specifically when i used the scythe. So i just uninstalled everything, SDV included and re-installed the game. Still crashes, but more unexpectedly, like after a day or two ingame, again, after using the scythe.
I'm thinking its maybe just the fact its an Apple computer and should buy a pc lol, but it's all i have for now and would've loved some mods. Is it possible my computer simply doesnt have what it takes to run SDV and smapi and PC at the same time? At first I could play fine, before mods got involved. ;'(

imnvs

Local Legend
See, the "verify game files" doesn't verify that your save files are uncorrupted by the mods that you'd installed. So, are you loading a save file that was played with mods? Or did you delete the mods and then started a new, clean save file?

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
See, the "verify game files" doesn't verify that your save files are uncorrupted by the mods that you'd installed. So, are you loading a save file that was played with mods? Or did you delete the mods and then started a new, clean save file?
Ohh okay, thanks i didn't even think of that. But I did start a new clean save file and it crashed after day two, while cutting grass yet again:krobus: Should I just delete everything again? I don't feel like i need to update anything, just concerned it's my computer that's too old or something to do with it.

Thanks for the answers so far :)

imnvs

Local Legend
That would be frustrating, I get it... but I really don't know if an uninstall-reinstall is a good fix, so let's just quick double check your specs, since you're concerned your computer is too old...

OS 10.10 or newer? 2GHz processor? 2GB RAM? 256mb video memory? 500mb storage?

mouse

Farmer
Can you check for a crash log and upload it here? On Windows it would be in %appdata%\StardewValley\ErrorLogs (the folder above it is the same one your saves are in), on Mac ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs and on Linux ~/.local/share/StardewValley/ErrorLogs.

If it didn't make a crash log, you could re-install SMAPI without any other mods, make a new save and play until you crash, then upload and link to your SMAPI log.

(On the modding trouble specifically, most mods are pretty undemanding, but it's entirely possible to end up with old or broken mods, or when installing lots at the same time to get different ones that are incompatible with one another. SMAPI logs are invaluable for tracking down issues, and you can post those in the mod support subforum or ask for help in the modding channels on Discord.)

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
Can you check for a crash log and upload it here? On Windows it would be in %appdata%\StardewValley\ErrorLogs (the folder above it is the same one your saves are in), on Mac ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs and on Linux ~/.local/share/StardewValley/ErrorLogs.

If it didn't make a crash log, you could re-install SMAPI without any other mods, make a new save and play until you crash, then upload and link to your SMAPI log.

(On the modding trouble specifically, most mods are pretty undemanding, but it's entirely possible to end up with old or broken mods, or when installing lots at the same time to get different ones that are incompatible with one another. SMAPI logs are invaluable for tracking down issues, and you can post those in the mod support subforum or ask for help in the modding channels on Discord.)
Hmm okay i just launched the game, cut grass and it crashed. This is what appears on the SMAPI monitor, I am so so sorry i have no idea what is useful to you or not.

Last login: Thu Apr 8 04:40:04 on ttys001

/Users/user/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew\ Valley/Contents/MacOS/StardewModdingAPI.bin.osx ; exit;

MacBook-Pro-de-Leon:~ user$ /Users/user/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew\ Valley/Contents/MacOS/StardewModdingAPI.bin.osx ; exit;

[SMAPI] SMAPI 3.9.5 with Stardew Valley 1.5.4 on MacOS Unix 17.7.0.0
[SMAPI] Mods go here: /Users/user/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS/Mods
[SMAPI] Starting game...
[SMAPI] Loaded 4 mods:
[SMAPI] Console Commands 3.9.5 by SMAPI | Adds SMAPI console commands that let you manipulate the game.
[SMAPI] Content Patcher 1.21.2 by Pathoschild | Loads content packs which edit game data, images, and maps without changing the game files.
[SMAPI] Error Handler 3.9.5 by SMAPI | Handles some common vanilla errors to log more useful info or avoid breaking the game.
[SMAPI] Save Backup 3.9.5 by SMAPI | Automatically backs up all your saves once per day into its folder.
[SMAPI] Loaded 8 content packs:
[SMAPI] Candle Torch Replacer 1.0.0 by herbivoor | for Content Patcher | Swaps the vanilla basic torch for a cute, vine wrapped candle with a peachy flame.
[SMAPI] Elle's Cat Replacements 1.1.0 by Elle/Junimods | for Content Patcher | A CP replacement for your pet cat!
[SMAPI] Elle's New Barn Animals 1.1.3 by Elle/Junimods | for Content Patcher | A CP replacement for all your barn animals!
[SMAPI] Elle's New Coop Animals 1.1.5 by Elle/Junimods | for Content Patcher | A CP replacement for all your coop animals!
[SMAPI] Elle's New Horses 1.1.5 by Elle/Junimods | for Content Patcher | A CP replacement for your horse!
[SMAPI] Elle's Seasonal Vanilla Buildings 1.0.4 by Elle/Junimods | for Content Patcher | Adds seasonal features to vanilla farm buildings!
[SMAPI] pigeon_mail 1.2.0 by Gweniaczek | for Content Patcher | Pigeon mailbox matching Medieval buildings
[SMAPI] Vibrant Pastoral Recolor 1.13.1 by grapeponta | for Content Patcher | A general recolor mod
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded '/Users/user/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/steamclient.dylib' OK.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 413150
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198990635178 [API loaded no]
[SMAPI] Type 'help' for help, or 'help <cmd>' for a command's usage
Killed: 9
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files..
...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...none found.
qq
[Opération terminée]

That last line says operation over basically.

I have also linked the file that you asked from crash report, its quite long so i wont copy/paste it here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, hope this is helpful to you!

Attachments

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
That would be frustrating, I get it... but I really don't know if an uninstall-reinstall is a good fix, so let's just quick double check your specs, since you're concerned your computer is too old...

OS 10.10 or newer? 2GHz processor? 2GB RAM? 256mb video memory? 500mb storage?
my computer specs are the following:
MacBook Pro (end of 2013), macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.6
Storage: 16Go 1600Mhz DDR3 Memory, 2,8GHz Intel Core i7 Processor
video graphics: intel iris 1536Mo

Hope this helps! Tysm:junicheer:

Lew Zealand

Helper
FYI that Mac is far from being too old: quad core Haswell i7, 16GB RAM, some sorta Radeon GPU. It's overkill for Stardew Valley as I've played it on an older and slower Mac, in fact I just installed it and played the first day on a 2009 13" MacBook Pro with a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo and 8GB RAM. Works great!

Your problem could be in the SavedApplicationState folder. I hate this thing as it does what's described in the name, including saving *broken* application states like yours. Please try clearing that out and start your day again:

Open your User's Library folder by holding down the Option key and then select Library from the Go folder in the Finder.
Open the Saved Application State folder
Toss the com.concernedape.stardewvalley.savedState folder in the Trash.

They try your Farm again. This will not necessarily work, but should be tried first. This fixes MS Office and other app crashing issues pretty frequently.

If this doesn't work then I would uninstall SDV and then hide your SDV savegame files. Don't delete them, just in case. Then install SDV from Steam again and start a new Farm (Yay! I love new farms!). One thing, I use the GOG.com version of SDV and I'm assuming your saves are in the same location, they should be:

First delete the Saved Application State folder again as above, if SDV made a new one.
Then uninstall SDV from Steam
Then hide your savegame files (this is stupid where they're hidden):

1. Open your User folder (Home from the Finder's Go menu)​
2. From the Go menu again, choose Go to Folder
3. Enter .config in there and click Go (yes there's a period/dot before config)​
4. Expand Stardew Valley and make a new folder, like Old Saves or Saved Saves or I Like Cupcakes in the Desert with Sandy. Whatever you like.​
5. Expand the Saves folder and move those folders into the new folder you made. You'll notice they have your Farm or Farmer names on them, each one is a self-contained save for each of your Farms.​

Then reinstall SDV from Steam and start a new Farm.

I really really hope this works for you. :heart:

Last edited:
[SMAPI] Loaded 4 mods:

So, i am unsure if you have ever actually started a new game after not loading any mods.

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
FYI that Mac is far from being too old: quad core Haswell i7, 16GB RAM, some sorta Radeon GPU. It's overkill for Stardew Valley as I've played it on an older and slower Mac, in fact I just installed it and played the first day on a 2009 13" MacBook Pro with a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo and 8GB RAM. Works great!

Your problem could be in the SavedApplicationState folder. I hate this thing as it does what's described in the name, including saving *broken* application states like yours. Please try clearing that out and start your day again:

Open your User's Library folder by holding down the Option key and then select Library from the Go folder in the Finder.

They try your Farm again. This will not necessarily work, but should be tried first. This fixes MS Office and other app crashing issues pretty frequently.

If this doesn't work then I would uninstall SDV and then hide your SDV savegame files. Don't delete them, just in case. Then install SDV from Steam again and start a new Farm (Yay! I love new farms!). One thing, I use the GOG.com version of SDV and I'm assuming your saves are in the same location, they should be:

First delete the Saved Application State folder again as above, if SDV made a new one.

3. Enter .config in there and click Go (yes there's a period/dot before config)​
4. Expand Stardew Valley and make a new folder, like Old Saves or Saved Saves or I Like Cupcakes in the Desert with Sandy. Whatever you like.​
5. Expand the Saves folder and move those folders into the new folder you made. You'll notice they have your Farm or Farmer names on them, each one is a self-contained save for each of your Farms.​

:hlevel: wow thank you so so much for this detailed explanation, i will try this asap and update you! Thanks for taking the time to answer and help out!! :duck:

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
[SMAPI] Loaded 4 mods:

So, i am unsure if you have ever actually started a new game after not loading any mods.
I did, but then tried them back on again as i figured it was something wrong with the mods not the game since problems started after mods were installed only! Will try out what Lew Zealand has said with no mods at all and update as it goes :)

leonthemanager

Greenhorn

Okay.. so i uninstalled everything SDV related, i did all the things you said in your lovely post and re installed SDV all nice and clean and it still keeps on crashing. It's making me so frustrated haha. If anyone has a miracle solution i'd be willing to try anything at this point i'm really not much of a computer person though so apologies if i dont understand everything.

Thanks again for the replies so far!! :junicheer:

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'm sure there's something else, I'll have a look at my install...

Edit: I didn't find any other files that were newly created this morning by SDV. There may be some leftovers on your Mac from the mods which didn't get fully uninstalled. I actually haven't run SDV with mods yet though I need to as I couldn't name my new test farm Brutally Utilitarian Farm as there's not enough space in the Name field.

Perhaps someone with more experience modding can help. In the meantime, I may install a few mods to see what they do and where they might be hiding their goodies, uh, baddies!

Last edited:

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
I'm sure there's something else, I'll have a look at my install...

Edit: I didn't find any other files that were newly created this morning by SDV. There may be some leftovers on your Mac from the mods which didn't get fully uninstalled. I actually haven't run SDV with mods yet though I need to as I couldn't name my new test farm Brutally Utilitarian Farm as there's not enough space in the Name field.

Perhaps someone with more experience modding can help. In the meantime, I may install a few mods to see what they do and where they might be hiding their goodies, uh, baddies!
Hahaha thanks so much for your help!! Hope your modding experience goes better than mine ^^ I will keep looking for files I could have missed :)

mouse

Farmer
There are no hidden files; SMAPI mods go in the Mods folder, and the much-discouraged XNB overwrites just replace xnb files in the Content folder. On Mac and Linux, verifying file integrity is enough to revert to a completely vanilla installation until SMAPI is reinstalled. (SMAPI's installation on these platforms involves replacing the startup script, which verifying reverts, so SMAPI does not run at all before reinstalling.)

In this case, verifying and then creating a new save without reinstalling SMAPI should be enough to confirm whether or not it is caused by installed mods. Crashing without SMAPI installed should normally leave a vanilla crash log, though.

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
There are no hidden files; SMAPI mods go in the Mods folder, and the much-discouraged XNB overwrites just replace xnb files in the Content folder. On Mac and Linux, verifying file integrity is enough to revert to a completely vanilla installation until SMAPI is reinstalled. (SMAPI's installation on these platforms involves replacing the startup script, which verifying reverts, so SMAPI does not run at all before reinstalling.)

In this case, verifying and then creating a new save without reinstalling SMAPI should be enough to confirm whether or not it is caused by installed mods. Crashing without SMAPI installed should normally leave a vanilla crash log, though.
Okay thanks, spent the night playing on my boyfriends Window PC with lots of mods lol i might be addicted. Will definitely try out what you said just to verify wether or not SMAPI is the issue. ~thaaanks so much

leonthemanager

Greenhorn
Okay, SAMPI uninstalled, deleted old and new started a new life in a new farm, all fine till day two the game crashed again lol. I WILL find a way to fix this problem lol will post any update here in order to possibly help someone else one day that's in the same nightmare as I am :duck:

Thanks again to everyone that helped so far :hlevel:

tonygigs

Newcomer
Has anyone had any success with this bug? I'm playing on an M1 MacBook Air with no mods. I've been experiencing crashes since the new update. I can't tell what causes the crash. When playing multiplayer, if the other player sees our farm popup in the Co-op menu we can play. If they don't see the farm popup the game will crash.

Hope this helps.