Mac XboX series X controller issues on Steam - Works fine in BPM but not in-game

Oakling

Newcomer
Yes, I know it's not a new issue, and I know there's a lot of previous discussions on the subject but I figured: new update, new discussion lol. Especially since most of the threads mentioning this issue either do not deal with my hardware platform and/or are a few years old.

I'm having issues with my new XboX X controller when trying to play the game in Steam.

For context: I play on a Macbook Air 2017 (yikes, I know) currently running MacOS Monterey 12.7.3.

The controller pairs with my computer without issues, and I can access Big Picture Mod, no problem. But Stardew doesn't recognize my controller. Here's what I've tried so far, following deep-dives into forums:
- Switch "enable" and "disable" SteamInput. Doesn't do anything in either case.
- Tried the OG configuration of the controller, and tried some layouts I found in the community. Does nothing.
- Checked that my system settings under "accessibility" are checked for Steam.
- The good old restart.
- Checked that gamepad mode is set to either auto-detect or force-on when in-game.

I haven't tried messing with internal libraries too much, I've seen some people recommend messing around with something called SDLV (I think?) but as this is my only computer and I need it for work and other stuff, I'm reluctant to mess with it too much, especially since I don't fully understand what it is and does.

At some point (and I'm not sure how/why) it seemed as if the game was able to detect the right joystick and the menu pull-up button (triple horizontal bars) on the controller but absolutely nothing else. So it obviously knows there's a controller connected, but can't quite get to it.

I can play with mouse and keyboard but it hurts both my hands and my neck, and I'd really love to be able to play with a controller because I genuinely LOVE this game. :(

Anyway, I'll keep playing the game even if it hurts my hands and back (because I love it too much to give up), but if anyone here is *still* facing issues of this kind, please share your ideas!

Oakling