Which Bachelor to marry - Shane or Sebastian?

DragonGwen

Farmer
Lol :grin:

I started the thread because I really couldn't decide about Seb and kept giving him Frozen Tears and Sashimi so I could date him. I was so torn.

I'm just feeling a bit weird about marrying someone who is 24 and I'm 44. I believe Shane is around 33 but I could be wrong. I know it's not real life but damn I take this game so seriously :grin:

But in the end the Shane heart event was a little heart wrenching and I couldn't abandon him.

You've def sold me on Seb for a future save file if I can get past the age gap thingy!
I imagine him as maybe 21 and Gwen (me) as around 20-21 so yeah there is a age gap for you two but Shane is like 28 soooooo

nicodeux

Farmer
I started the thread because I really couldn't decide about Seb and kept giving him Frozen Tears and Sashimi so I could date him. I was so torn.

I'm just feeling a bit weird about marrying someone who is 24 and I'm 44. I believe Shane is around 33 but I could be wrong. I know it's not real life but damn I take this game so seriously :grin:

But in the end the Shane heart event was a little heart wrenching and I couldn't abandon him.

You've def sold me on Seb for a future save file if I can get past the age gap thingy!
As I wrote above, Sebastian is a very interesting husband. You should definely give him a try on another save file.

Also, from what I understand of your messages, I suggest that you try to roleplay a bit more your farmer and not put too much of your IRL self in your game character. It is difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it, it can open interesting possibilities. Like marrying someone that is younger/older than you are IRL, or someone of the opposite gender or try other things that you wouldn't certainly do IRL. It's game. Endless possibilities! Try some... :shane::sebastian::sam::elliott::emily::leah::harvey::haley::gus::lewyell:

Seb is my favorite male NPC by far. He’s a programmer, a gamer, he enjoys music and D&D, and he’s fond of Sushi making him easy to please. I find him very relatable, whereas Shane I find is the only NPC I actively dislike (yep imho he’s worse than Pierre). To each their own though, of course, I’m glad different NPCs are appealing to different people.

As to the age thing, in my head canon you died at your desk and Stardew Valley is in the afterlife. After all, you can be in year 200 and they all appear to be the same age still; no one ever moves to another city or moves out or anything; your kids grow to a young age then just freeze there forever; so on and so forth. So whether it’s just a weird time warp or the afterlife or whatever else, remember despite appearances they could all be centuries old already and thus I wouldn’t worry too much about any perceived age gaps.

Love your perspectives @nicodeux on roleplaying. Definitely food for thought.

Also find your approach to the game in creating the backstory around it fascinating @Giant Octopodes

I’ve always approached role playing games like SV, Minecraft and RuneScape in the role as myself like I am in real life. It would be interesting and different to leave that behind and take on a new identity in the game. Then I’d have no problem marrying Seb!

Maher

Sodbuster
I'd feel terrible marrying Seb. He's been taking freelance coding work and restoring that motorcycle precisely so he can get away from the "one horse town" that is SDV. . . and in all likelihood, the PC owns that one horse. I'm sure there'd be some thin narrative about why it's OK for him to come live on your farm and put water in {pet}'s water bowl every few mornings, but I'd never buy it.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I think, if you court and marry Sebastian, the implication is that he falls in love with the farmer. (I'm not romantic so I don't personally get it, but I understand it's a thing people do.) And, along the way, once he moves in with you, he realizes that he just wanted to get out of that basement room and to get some space from his family. He still has his motorcycle and can go on rides to get away, but now he enjoys coming home to you, to a home he makes with you where he finally feels like he belongs. At least, that's the story that makes sense to me.

Plus, he loves frogs too much to be happy living in Zuzu City, where he can't watch them every rainy day.

My current farmer is very different from me; my first was very like me. I enjoy playing both ways, but playing as someone different really opens the game up. I don’t worry much about character ages, my farmer is always an ageless more or less adult.
I like that - an ageless adult :smile: I think Concerned Ape didn't specifically state the villagers ages to make the role-playing more open-ended and applicable to more players.

An update on being married to Shane

I think he is going to relapse :sweat:

Today he asked me what I was going to do for the Fall and he said he is going to incorporate more wine into his diet :(

I hope not. He's meant to be sober. Anyway, I'll stick by him regardless but I hope he keeps working on himself and improving his life.

DragonGwen

Farmer
I like that - an ageless adult :smile: I think Concerned Ape didn't specifically state the villagers ages to make the role-playing more open-ended and applicable to more players.

An update on being married to Shane

I think he is going to relapse :sweat:

Today he asked me what I was going to do for the Fall and he said he is going to incorporate more wine into his diet :(

I hope not. He's meant to be sober. Anyway, I'll stick by him regardless but I hope he keeps working on himself and improving his life.
*Sighs* He never changes. All of us are here for you if you decide to break up :( If not, try going to couples counseling (Caroline has great deals) and maybe try some yoga or other couples thing to take his mind of alcohol

*sigh* I was hoping he would change for good this time. Aw nice to know there's support here if we break up, thank you. I'll try the couples counselling first (I've heard Caroline is good, thanks for the reminder) and try getting him to come out with me to the village each day. He needs to get out of the house more and get some sunshine and fresh air.

DragonGwen

Farmer
*sigh* I was hoping he would change for good this time. Aw nice to know there's support here if we break up, thank you. I'll try the couples counselling first (I've heard Caroline is good, thanks for the reminder) and try getting him to come out with me to the village each day. He needs to get out of the house more and get some sunshine and fresh air.
Start easy with walks to the saloon for salads and maybe bread. (NO BEER) Then maybe start going to the beach before moving to going through the mountains and returning home via the backwoods. I recommend getting counseling deals during the Winter Star season as the prices are so much better, also try going to movies! Wumbus is a great kids movie for when y'all have children (I don't recommend It Howls In The Rain period, because it's probably one of the more eh ones) The Brave Little Sapling is a great one for taking Jas to, as it helps him hang out with her and gives her something to look forward to!

Start easy with walks to the saloon for salads and maybe bread. (NO BEER) Then maybe start going to the beach before moving to going through the mountains and returning home via the backwoods. I recommend getting counseling deals during the Winter Star season as the prices are so much better, also try going to movies! Wumbus is a great kids movie for when y'all have children (I don't recommend It Howls In The Rain period, because it's probably one of the more eh ones) The Brave Little Sapling is a great one for taking Jas to, as it helps him hang out with her and gives her something to look forward to!
Love your suggestions if they can't help him then nothing can! Long walks and movies should do the job.

It was going well until today - we have been on a few walks now and had some lovely seasonal salads for lunch at the Saloon. We even went for a swim at the beach yesterday and had a nice chat with Willy.

However this morning Shane asked me if he should choose between beer or cider 😬

I'll stick with him and see how it goes....maybe if he helps out on the farm more he might find a little more purpose in life?

DragonGwen

Farmer
Love your suggestions if they can't help him then nothing can! Long walks and movies should do the job.

It was going well until today - we have been on a few walks now and had some lovely seasonal salads for lunch at the Saloon. We even went for a swim at the beach yesterday and had a nice chat with Willy.

I'll stick with him and see how it goes....maybe if he helps out on the farm more he might find a little more purpose in life?
Maybe get him some nice bourbon. I know that sounds counterintuitive but if starts to like the expensive stuff and hates the cheap junk, he won't be as inclined to drink

ArtifactSpot

He won’t fully recover this version, but maybe CA will help him one day. If he’s not abusive you are quite a special person to stick it out. I don’t drink a drop. But I do have severe chronic depression and anxiety, and my IRL husband has faithfully stuck through its ups and downs for 19 years and if I know anything I know that I am totally utterly completely eternally loved. It’s the most amazing feeling and he is the most amazing husband ever! 🥰

Now Stardew is fantasy and not reality, but your Stardew husband is sick and not horrible. He’s not abusive, just improperly medicating. He is going to and through counseling, just hasn’t made full recovery. He’s sick. If your strong and don’t have true iRL struggles that already need iRL energy and strength then keep with him. I have on other saves. You will see a few good lines mixed in with the mostly neutral or depressing ones. There are mods that help him have a better outcome, and who knows the next update might help. CA said there would be more dialogue lines somewhere here. Never know. I can’t change dialogue lines in a game, but there’s always much hope for the mentally ill and suffering iRL. Best wishes. 😘

From strictly gameplay perspective, the only slight advantage to marrying Shane would be that he continues to send gifts in the mail, as well as his spouse gifts.
Neither Shane nor Sebastian have a 14 heart event that gives an exclusive item, changes anything around town, or impacts other villager's schedules. (Unlike Sam's boombox, Abigail's shrine, or Alex's game days).

From a roleplay perspective, I don't like that Shane leaves Jas to marry the farmer. Shane is Jas' godfather. Marnie is Shane's aunt. Shane brought Jas' to live at Marnie's after his friends, J's parents, died. This all happened just a few months before you arrive in the valley.

DragonGwen

Farmer
From strictly gameplay perspective, the only slight advantage to marrying Shane would be that he continues to send gifts in the mail, as well as his spouse gifts.
Neither Shane nor Sebastian have a 14 heart event that gives an exclusive item, changes anything around town, or impacts other villager's schedules. (Unlike Sam's boombox, Abigail's shrine, or Alex's game days).

From a roleplay perspective, I don't like that Shane leaves Jas to marry the farmer. Shane is Jas' godfather. Marnie is Shane's aunt. Shane brought Jas' to live at Marnie's after his friends, J's parents, died. This all happened just a few months before you arrive in the valley.
I don't care about items, I care about the guy

paty_intp

Greenhorn
Na minha fazenda atual eu estava me perguntando se deveria casar com Shane como normalmente faço, ou com Sebastian por algo novo.

É fácil dar presentes a Shane, já que você pode cultivar muitas de suas pimentas favoritas no verão, mas ele é um pouco mal-humorado. Mas Sebastian parece ser um pouco mais interessante e legal.

Qual você acha que é melhor e por quê?
[/CITAR]
I personally find Sebastian very annoying, he's that teenager who doesn't even leave the house and complains about everything, Shane can be rude at first but he has depth once you get to know him