What first game mistakes did you do?

PixiePixel

Farmhand
The very first file I had, I sold everything, and didn't focus too much on growing crops. As a result I had nothing for the community center or for filling orders. I just wanted to clear all the debris, upgrade tools, and mine, and build buildings instead. lol That file got deleted once I realized how the game operated. I also lost crops due to seasonal change. I didn't read the books I found because I thought it was just another collectible for the library.

Isa730

Rancher
The very first file I had, I sold everything, and didn't focus too much on growing crops. As a result I had nothing for the community center or for filling orders. I just wanted to clear all the debris, upgrade tools, and mine, and build buildings instead.
I did the same thing! Just wound up spending Year 2 collecting EVERYTHING and I think it's made me a bit of a hoarder.

Rebel60

Tiller
Donated Dinosaur Egg. It's an artifact, whatever else would you do with it??
Didn't watch TV. It rots your brain.
Didn't eat Spring Onions. Because you get g for them.
Didn't make Field Snacks. Because I missed that screen on the UI.
Went to bed at 4:30 many days. Because no Energy.
Didn't cut down Trees outside Farm. Because they're not mine.
Didn't sell anything for a while. Because they might be Help Wanted requests.
Didn't gift Flowers to the Guys. Because Ladies like Flowers 🙄🙄🙄
Bought Hay for Animals and fed them manually for many Seasons.

This is an Iceberg. You see but the very tip, however the whole giant mess propping that up? She is still lurking under the cold, choppy waters of the Southern Ocean, a coiled spring straining to puncture through an unsuspecting passing vessel.

Beware.
Same here,..............when I started my first farm, Ahhh I remember it fondly (it's trashed now) I had not connected with those of you on this board. I KNEW NOTHING!! I sold everything; chopped down every tree in sight; spent HUGE $G at clints.....you get the picture
I'm on my fifth and sixth farms now (running simultaneously) and things are SO much better with added input from all of you

1. Here's a 'rookie mistake' I had made when learning about Fertilizer:

I had 248 Deluxe Speed-Gro (that had served its purpose well for all of Spring, Year 2) set on tilled soil after just finishing growing some crop on Spring 28. In an effort to "preserve" all that fertilizer worth almost 20,000g, I invested in and decided to plant 248 Parsnip Seeds here on the last day of spring. However, the next morning, not only did I see dead plants (predictably) where I had planted almost 5000g worth of seeds but also that the Deluxe Speed-Gro had also disappeared. Well, at least I didn't have to re-till all that soil, but I could hear Pierre laughing at me right then and there!

2. My hoarding habit continues:

Attachments

Aaah, once upon a time, when I was a young greenhorn still who had just arrived in an RPG for the first time ... I ate everything I could get my hands on. LOL 😆
Okay, not wood and stones and fibres, but horseradish and leek and dandelion and even daffodils. 😗
That was somehow due to the fact that I came from Adventure games and was used to use everything you can find in some way or the other. And when your energy level is rapidly going down, you just have to eat anything that looks remotely edible. And, no, I don't usually eat daffodils in RL ... but I probably would if I were starving. 🥴
Only my daughter, through whom I had come to Stardew Valley, cried out in horror when I told her: "You're not supposed to EAT things, you're supposed to sell or gift them!"
A second mistake I succumbed to due to my Adventure experience was to attach a deeper meaning to all conversations with the townspeople, i.e. to consider what they probably want me to do and to react accordingly. So, for example, when Abigail growled at me that she was not in a good mood today, I immediately left her alone, because the wrong reaction might hurt me later.

Lew Zealand

Helper
OK you've inspired me, I'm naming my new farm: Farm Farm Farm Farm.

I'll concentrate on Combat, Fishing, Mining, Foraging, relationships, and fill my free time with restiveness. I'll fill my Farm with Trees, Statues, and Fiber Seed plants. I'll regularly chop down Cindersap so it'll be henceforth be known as Cindersap Meadow. Maybe I'll plant a Parsnip or something else in a Pot in the house as some kind of archaic ornamental, a curiosity, a reminder of how the ancients used to use their farms in the Olden Days, as fondly remembered in that colored tintype of Marnie and a tiny Jas.

Jar those Fruits and Veggies!

So you can hoard that, too.
Thanks for the good suggestion!

Jars make sense as they'll take 4 days to process the fruits, but man oh man, they cost 8 Coal a pop!

I may end up doing Kegs instead and turn my Quarry into "Keg City" for my fruits just to eventually "purge" my chest of the regular quality fruit.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Jars make sense as they'll take 4 days to process the fruits, but man oh man, they cost 8 Coal a pop!
Yeah Coal is the killer for Jars, so much that some people simply don't make them and just wait it out until Kegs. I haven't taken the time to see if Clint's prices go up in second year for Coal, like they do for his Ores and Robin's Stone and Wood. [Edit: they do] If so, it might be a decent early game strategy to buy Coal from Clint near the end of Winter Year 1 to stock up on Jars. One other Coal "strategy" is when you get the free Coal from minecarts and knapsacks in the Mines on those floors, each minecart or knapsack means 1 more Jar you can make. Just an idea.

Yeah Coal is the killer for Jars, so much that some people simply don't make them and just wait it out until Kegs. I haven't taken the time to see if Clint's prices go up in second year for Coal, like they do for his Ores and Robin's Stone and Wood. If so, it might be a decent early game strategy to buy Coal from Clint near the end of Winter Year 1 to stock up on Jars. One other Coal "strategy" is when you get the free Coal from minecarts and knapsacks in the Mines on those floors, each minecart or knapsack means 1 more Jar you can make. Just an idea.
I'm in Year 3 and Clint is charging me 250g per Coal. I have over 1000 Coal saved up, but I intend to use them for a small Fairy Rose Honey Empire in Ginger Island (at the expense of many of the Ginger hoeing areas)

I do like Clint but not enough to give him 250,000 g for all that Coal I'll need to build enough jars to keep up with my Fruit Tree Fruit production, lol

Jayamos

Farmer
I do like Clint but not enough to give him 250,000 g for all that Coal I'll need to build enough jars to keep up with my Fruit Tree Fruit production, lol
I gave in and bought some coal from Clint but it’s expensive enough that it takes a while for each jar to pay for itself, 9-10 processing runs for any crop you wouldn’t be better off putting in a keg. Fairy Rose Honey empire is the way to go.

Veracious

Tiller
2) I bought my deluxe speed-gro from Pierre for the longest time because I didn't know *SPOILER* Sandy sells it *SPOILER* for almost half the price on Thursdays in the desert.

What!! ***** sells it cheaper ahhh I never knew this over 300 hrs on first play through an I'm still like a baby with some stuffs.

I'm a horder so I never sell stuff but I'm always broke for the first 5 years I struggled to make enough money but I'm rolling in it now after many boxs of hording, I've learnt I many not need 500 bottles of maple syrup.

Savagerider

Tiller
I didn’t realize you could split your inventory. I thought I had to sell everything. For example, if I had ten of something, I thought I had to keep all ten or sell them. Does that make sense? I’m on the switch.

Pangaearocks

Planter
Am sure I did many other mistakes as well, but one thing I distinctly remember:

Spending all my gold on expensive seeds, probably halfway through a season or something, hoping to kickstart some finances at harvesting.

"I'll just move that (relatively) huge stack of seeds over to the two I have from before"

*poof* All new seeds are sold. And this was before we could buy them back in the same session for what we sold them for. Pretty sure this (accidentally selling) happened later with apple tree sapling or something like that too, which was not great 😱

Apples

Farmhand
i would go to bed at like 330 pm just to go to the next day. i wish i had the ability to sleep from 330 to 6am and be perfectly fine. This made me realize that there is a LOT that you can do in SDV.

i would also miss out a lot on QOS and lose the ability to make a lot of good energy sources.