What are some languages you want to/are learning?

astatine210

Rancher
I wonder why so many people are interested in learning Hebrew. Religious purposes are one thing but other than that Hebrew isn't exactly common
I lived in Israel for 7 years as a kid and technically it was a mandatory language to learn in the school I went to there, so that's where my interest in the language started! I'm not actively looking to learn it, though. I'm more interested in learning Japanese and perfecting my French comprehension lol.

IntoxicHeart

Planter
I’d love to learn Russian and Czech, and American Sign Language. I’m fluent in English and semi-fluent in German (it’s fun speaking to family in Germany since I tend to butcher words and family picks on me lol). I took a couple Spanish classes in high school, but only did so because two language classes were required (of the same language) in order to graduate. Because I lived in Florida at the time I was in high school, figured it would be a practical language to learn, but outside of those two classes, never used it. It didn’t stick since I never used elsewhere lol

Edit;; also Latin. It’s a beautiful language in my opinion.

NextPaige

Planter
I’d love to learn Russian and Czech, and American Sign Language. I’m fluent in English and semi-fluent in German (it’s fun speaking to family in Germany since I tend to butcher words and family picks on me lol). I took a couple Spanish classes in high school, but only did so because two language classes were required (of the same language) in order to graduate. Because I lived in Florida at the time I was in high school, figured it would be a practical language to learn, but outside of those two classes, never used it. It didn’t stick since I never used elsewhere lol

Edit;; also Latin. It’s a beautiful language in my opinion.
Meine Katze ist sehr nett. Ich liebe Kapitalismus!

IntoxicHeart

Planter
Meine Katze ist sehr nett. Ich liebe Kapitalismus!
So random lol but …
At least someone’s cat is nice. Mine can be such annoying and pestering lil jerks. And you’d love it in Germany then. ^.~ That, plus Germany has so many beautiful places and some of the best festivals and celebrations I’ve ever been to.

Random side note - sometimes I get messed over with writing/typing in German, since in English we don’t use masculine/feminine possessive pronouns in regards to certain words and the like. I’ve messed up so many times with using only ‘mein’ instead of ‘meine’. >.>;; And same with ‘die’ and ‘der’ … just to name of couple examples. Oh, and I’ll also forget to capitalize certain words in my sentences, since I’m so accustomed to not needing to do so in English. Heh… ^^;;

With that former bit it in mind … I was initially trying to figure out why you did ‘meine’ instead of ‘mein’ … and then it clicked. Out loud, I said “oh, right … pronoun usage … I knew that” Don’t know why I said that last part, since I was talking to myself. Haha.

Oh … just thought of another language that I’d potentially like to learn, because it just seems like such an energetic and fun language - Italian.

Hawkgirl6511

Cowpoke
So, English is my main language.
I know Spanish (rusty with it), ASL, a tiny bit of Latin (from science classes), and learning Gaelic and Celtic... Both on Duolingo!! YES, that owl is annoyingly persistent!! 🤦‍♀️

My native language being German, I've learned Russian and French at school (even after so many years, there's a little left), taught myself English, Polish and Hungarian, and at some point in time even tried to learn Vietnamese, but it foundered for the lack of listening possibilities - did you know that many of these South-East-Asian languages have different speech melodies, that is the same word has completely different meanings depending on the intonation? And I tried to learn it in olden times, before the epiphany of the internet.
I would like to learn Hungarian anew (when you don't use a language you quickly forget the most of it, but the "feeling" for it remains), but judging by my recent attempt to learn Finnish, it's probably not going to happen in this life. I just don't feel like using my brain this way anymore.
Although ... what I would really love to learn is Irish and Welsh! And I would if I could find a good teacher/course book/programme ... any tips?

Last edited:

Jayamos

Farmer
Although ... what I would really love to learn is Irish and Welsh! And I would if I could find a good teacher/course book/programme ... any tips?
Duolingo’s Irish course got me far enough to be able to read some Irish and really appreciate the language. I also have Mícheál Ó Siadhail’s book, Learning Irish. It’s a wonderful language. The Duolingo Irish community I found to be very friendly and helpful, too.

Hanar

Cowpoke
@CatCat! @Apples
Hallo, wie geht es dir? Ich bin aus Deutschland und kann bei Fragen gerne helfen. :)

I would love to learn japanese and russian. I tried to learn, but the lessons I can afford were to little and very low level.

I `m very interested in japanese Shinto religions, old legends, horror movies based on these legends and rituals and I´m very interested in the CCCP. I think you can learn much more with these languages.

Chinese is very interesting too. I love hearing chinese speech. It sounds like music. But I think I could not learn it. Sad I choosed latin instead of french. I`m not that interested in the french language, but I think it would have been more useful than latin.

Natalya_00

Greenhorn
I'm always trying to improve my English, since I'm not native. Also I'd like to learn Japanese. I used to study it in the past but I kind of stopped once I got too busy...

Designer1900

Farmhand
German, I had a few lessons in school. But my schedule was a mess( long story ). Most vacations I'm going on require going trough Germany. Also been to Germany on vacation like 5+ times.

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
I am currently working on Spanish & German in DuoLingo. I first learned Spanish in high school & German in college, and am attempting to keep them alive.

Reactions: Tom