Unofficial mod updates

krobusbus

Greenhorn
The problem with this is that the latest Better Chests version completely overwrites Chests Anywhere, and it doesn't look like the mod author cares.
Yeah, Better Chests isn't a perfect replacement for ChestEx unfortunately. So hopefully someone can update the latter.

do you mind sending me the cp version? ive been esperately looking everywhere, in return i can send you some cute custom mods that i made
Oooo i also have them! I definitely have to send it to you privately! You down for it?
Edit: Sent to you privately!

Last edited:

Dyanosis

Tiller
Seconding Iridium Tools Patch. It seems so weird to me that a SMAPI update broke it when it was doing just fine in 1.6. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take this on.
You both should try Prismatic Tools. If you're going to mod your tools anyway, might as well have another tier that actually adds a nice boost to your tools (like one hitting most trees and mine nodes and having a massive 5x7 coverage for the hoe and watering can).

Not my mod, but I do appreciate it giving the Prismatic shards a cool use.

hanadri

Greenhorn
hello guys !
i have a question !
if i were to edit some assets for personal use , what program should i use ?

DetectiveThorn

Newcomer
Hey I was wondering if it was possible for anyone to update character mods that haven't been updated in a long time? I understand if it's not possible because it might be more complicated with art or dialogue (Idk how coding stuff works). I miss having Soli the Skeleton and Roronoa Zoro on my save.

I have been trying to use the Zoro mod as well. The cutscenes are what don't work for me. : (
I'm just getting into programming so I’m trying to look into the files to see if I can find any solution.

Dyanosis

Tiller
Hi! I wanted to request if someone would be so kind to update this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/14317 [Seasonal Hedge Fence for DGA] for it to work on v1.6 or if anyone know if there's already one out there or just guide on how I could make it work by myself. Thanks in advance! :sweat:
You'll want to message the guy who did that conversion as he, technically, is the only one with "a permission slip". Though I don't see why that mod couldn't be made an AT mod with no problem.

Amy

Tiller
There's a similar mod (but different looking furnace) that only requires CP now: Furn-Nificient
The suggestion is appreciated, but people want the old Industrial Furnace mod not just for functionality, but because of the looks. This one isn't gonna cut it for me. Sorry to be a brat, but I just want the old one.

Is it against the rules to pay people to do updates? Because if it's allowed I will literally pay someone to fix the old Industrial Furnace mod.

Dyanosis

Tiller
The suggestion is appreciated, but people want the old Industrial Furnace mod not just for functionality, but because of the looks. This one isn't gonna cut it for me. Sorry to be a brat, but I just want the old one.

Is it against the rules to pay people to do updates? Because if it's allowed I will literally pay someone to fix the old Industrial Furnace mod.
No problem at all! I always appreciate people sharing their thoughts. I just want people to know there are options. I definitely understand the want/need to use what you know/love.

It is not against the rules, as long as the modder who makes the updates has permission to update the mod. There are services like Patreon, Kofi (Coffee), etc that people use for donations. I think as long as you're calling it a "donation" and not a "commission", it's okay :)

And you're not being a brat at all. Asking for an update is totally understandable. You'd only be a brat if we knew, for sure, that the aforementioned mod wasn't going to be updated ever (as in deleted) and you wanted someone to re-develop it or else.

Hope someone picks it up. I don't mind doing CP mods, but that's a C# mod, which I've limited myself into not doing (as I'm already a dev by trade and don't want dev in my gaming if I can help it).

Reactions: Amy

Amy

Tiller
No problem at all! I always appreciate people sharing their thoughts. I just want people to know there are options. I definitely understand the want/need to use what you know/love.

It is not against the rules, as long as the modder who makes the updates has permission to update the mod. There are services like Patreon, Kofi (Coffee), etc that people use for donations. I think as long as you're calling it a "donation" and not a "commission", it's okay :)

And you're not being a brat at all. Asking for an update is totally understandable. You'd only be a brat if we knew, for sure, that the aforementioned mod wasn't going to be updated ever (as in deleted) and you wanted someone to re-develop it or else.

Hope someone picks it up. I don't mind doing CP mods, but that's a C# mod, which I've limited myself into not doing (as I'm already a dev by trade and don't want dev in my gaming if I can help it).
Without taking too much of your time, can you explain what about it makes it a C# mod? Like, what part of the functionality requires C#? Cause if it's the automate integration I could totally live without that. I just want a furnace that uses the old sprites and has the seasonal skins. Is that doable with just CP? I have a mod for the bus that does seasonal skins (though I have no clue if it uses C# or not. Are those the ones that have the .dll files that you can't open without downloading a special program?

Dyanosis

Tiller
Without taking too much of your time, can you explain what about it makes it a C# mod? Like, what part of the functionality requires C#? Cause if it's the automate integration I could totally live without that. I just want a furnace that uses the old sprites and has the seasonal skins. Is that doable with just CP? I have a mod for the bus that does seasonal skins (though I have no clue if it uses C# or not. Are those the ones that have the .dll files that you can't open without downloading a special program?
You're not taking too much of my time! I love helping.

TL;DR - Yes, based on the furnace mod I linked (as a potential alternative), it should be possible to make Industrial Furnace into a CP mod.

I'll answer your question(s) below:

What makes it a C# mod is the fact that Industrial Furnace, as it is, uses a DLL. A DLL is a dynamic-link library that allows SDV to inject new functionality directly into its memory and use it. This was, and kind of still is, the best way to make sure a mod does exactly what you think it does. Post-1.6, this mod can probably be turned into a CP mod (as the other mod that I linked that started this discussion is a CP mod).

How can you tell if something is a C# mod or isn't? If it contains a DLL and if the manifest has an "EntryPoint" entry in it. CP mods will typically have "[CP]" or "(CP)" somewhere in their name (usually in the beginning) and have a folder set up that must contain a content.json and manifest.json. For this particular mod, you'd probably want an assets folder that holds the actual images/sprites for the mod that get referenced from the content.json file.

If I took some time to study the other furnace mod and could get the images from the mod in question, I could probably create a CP version of it. But I'm not 100% sure how well the other furnace mod works and there are some fields that the furnace "building" needs that I'm not sure if it needs them or not.

Hope that helps!

Amy

Tiller
Definitely helps to know my hunch about the .dll thing was correct, and the additional information is much appreciated. Thank you. :smile:

I know there's some new content in 1.6 that kind of adds a vanilla industrial furnace (the sprite is the same size as the old furnace though, so couldn't just do a recolor with seasonal skins. But if you're worried about how good of a coding example that Furnificent thing would be, the base game code might have answers now. https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Heavy_Furnace

The Heavy Furnace can do 25 ores at once using 3 coal. I'm not sure if it's easy or difficult to increase the amounts of those, but it's something to consider. I feel like the amounts and times it takes to process should all be editable. (But I say this as someone who hasn't looked at the base game code).