Tea sapplings

Farrow

Sodbuster
Soooo... I'm usually a challenge runner, so when I do I usually make as much money before the thirtieth of spring in order to buy as many strawberries as possible. I've never even bothered trying to make tea samplings before the thirtieth because of course I assumed this to be impossible, so not worth my time before strawberries. Then I decided to do some testing when I recently did research into how help requested quests work. And I got her to two hearts on the tenth when I did test. And now during an actual run where I'm aiming for perfection I got it on the eighth day. Which leaves so much room for more money on the side. Cause every two spring seeds I can make (five for craft) is a ludicrous 500 gold, that means the the com centers reward alone is 7,500 gold plus any extra forage you can do this is not only easy but it can be done on the side like I am here this is shocking and drastically improves my early game money making. Let me know if you can think of better ways to get this faster than I did or make even more money for more strawberries

Farrow

Sodbuster
I realized I didn't detail how to replicate this, I talked to her every day and didn't meet any other villagers (to get two quests from her before the thirteenth) and gave her a total of four gifts all of which were daffodils

Lew Zealand

Helper
Soooo... I'm usually a challenge runner, so when I do I usually make as much money before the thirtieth of spring in order to buy as many strawberries as possible. I've never even bothered trying to make tea samplings before the thirtieth because of course I assumed this to be impossible, so not worth my time before strawberries. Then I decided to do some testing when I recently did research into how help requested quests work. And I got her to two hearts on the tenth when I did test. And now during an actual run where I'm aiming for perfection I got it on the eighth day. Which leaves so much room for more money on the side. Cause every two spring seeds I can make (five for craft) is a ludicrous 500 gold, that means the the com centers reward alone is 7,500 gold plus any extra forage you can do this is not only easy but it can be done on the side like I am here this is shocking and drastically improves my early game money making. Let me know if you can think of better ways to get this faster than I did or make even more money for more strawberries
Yes Tea Saplings 100%! They are so good for g in very early game that they're practically broken. Honesly I'm expecting a sell price nerf in v1.6 to 200-250g and even then they remain a very good g strategy.

I realized I didn't detail how to replicate this, I talked to her every day and didn't meet any other villagers (to get two quests from her before the thirteenth) and gave her a total of four gifts all of which were daffodils
And by the time that second week rolls around, some of those Daffodils can be Silver or even Gold star, slicing a few days off that magic 2 :heart: level!

Farrow

Sodbuster
Yes Tea Saplings 100%! They are so good for g in very early game that they're practically broken. Honesly I'm expecting a sell price nerf in v1.6 to 200-250g and even then they remain a very good g strategy.

And by the time that second week rolls around, some of those Daffodils can be Silver or even Gold star, slicing a few days off that magic 2 :heart: level!
Yeah! I ruled it out cause I didn't think rng was reliable enough to get consistent two hearts with here early enough for it to be useful for strawberry seeds but it's it's only reliable but it's easy and passive

Sinmenon

Planter
Tea saplings are a reliable source of income in almost all seasons except Winter, you plant them once and harvest them by the end of each season so it is a good thing.
And if you got preserves jar the pickled ones sell for 150/210g.

...I also sometimes use them as a non-decaying fence. Animals can't walk through them either.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Tea saplings are a reliable source of income in almost all seasons except Winter, you plant them once and harvest them by the end of each season so it is a good thing.
And if you got preserves jar the pickled ones sell for 150/210g.

...I also sometimes use them as a non-decaying fence. Animals can't walk through them either.
Selling Tea Saplings can be especially profitable in Winter if you get Linus' Community Cleanup quest as he gives you the Fiber Seeds recipe as a reward and Fiber Seeds:

Grow Fiber, for your Tea Saplings
In all seasons, including Winter
With NO watering!

Tea. Sapling. BROKEN.

in a very good way!

Edit: Fiber Seeds are made with Mixed Seeds, Clay and Sap, so I save those exclusively in anticipation of getting the Fiber Seeds recipe. This may be annoying for those who like to plant Mixed Seeds to get different crops early in game (I like to do this), but IMO it's worth the wait for Linus' recipe.

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
i have nothing technical to add to this thread except that i firmly believe in green tea supremacy and i always liked to plant a LOT whenever i unlocked them. i mostly put them in the borders of my greenhouse but i'll probably make a huge section for them on my farm in my latest save too

Pangaearocks

Planter
Edit: Fiber Seeds are made with Mixed Seeds, Clay and Sap, so I save those exclusively in anticipation of getting the Fiber Seeds recipe. This may be annoying for those who like to plant Mixed Seeds to get different crops early in game (I like to do this), but IMO it's worth the wait for Linus' recipe.
Do you need the recipe for that, tho? I seem to overflow with fiber in all saves. Admittedly I don't make tea saplings to sell, but usually end up with a stack or two of fiber. It's kinda like sap, except not as bad. Eventually I just toss a stack of it in the 'bin' for Lewis. Yoba knows what he does with it, but he must have a lot of crap stashed up somewhere. Maybe there is an underground black market for 10,000 sap and 2,000 fiber, plus mountains of coral. Oh, and all the fish... 😲

Farrow

Sodbuster
Do you need the recipe for that, tho? I seem to overflow with fiber in all saves. Admittedly I don't make tea saplings to sell, but usually end up with a stack or two of fiber. It's kinda like sap, except not as bad. Eventually I just toss a stack of it in the 'bin' for Lewis. Yoba knows what he does with it, but he must have a lot of crap stashed up somewhere. Maybe there is an underground black market for 10,000 sap and 2,000 fiber, plus mountains of coral. Oh, and all the fish... 😲
As an avid abuser of teasapplings yes you NEED that recipe in the late game fiber is difficult to get reliably and if you want things like say a scarecrow or God forbid the deluxe scarecrow that is 20-50 fiber a peice. If your on the standard farm it takes 50 ish scarecrow to cover the entire thing (I think it's been a while since I measured it all) it can get very bad very fast with fiber even if you don't use teasapplings

Lew Zealand

Helper
Early on, you're constantly short of Fiber if you're using the Tea Sapling recipe for g because of any or all:

no Railroad yet
no Bug Lair yet
cleared out map Weeds instead of leaving 1 or 2 in each location as a seed for spreading (this works)
poor luck in 11-29 in the Mines or 91-109 later on (or you're just done with grinding)

Or you've done all that and just want more Fiber faster as you get multiple drops per Fiber Seed planted (4-7 plus 10% Mixed Seeds). Yes I have hundreds of Fiber all the time later in game as other better options replace the Tea Sapling but early on, I'm constantly short of Mixed Seeds + Clay for the Seeds, and Fiber + Wood for the Sapling recipe itself.

The last time I started a new save, I made enough Fiber with Fiber Seeds that I was short of Wood for the Tea Sapling and I'd cut every Tree on the map down. I had to Forage my buttinski up and down the map to grind to Level 7 to get the Tree Fertilizer to grow Trees back quickly enough to keep up with my Tea Sapling g lust.

Last edited:

Pangaearocks

Planter
The last time I started a new save, I made enough Fiber with Fiber Seeds that I was short of Wood for the Tea Sapling and I'd cut every Tree on the map down. I had to Forage my buttinski up and down the map to grind to Level 7 to get the Tree Fertilizer to grow Trees back quickly enough to keep up with my Tea Sapling g lust.
Sounds like a lot of work when you could be fishing instead :P But then I'm not the right person to ask, because I've only ever made 1 piece of the fiber recipe for Perfection purposes.

Elenna101

Farmer
If you are short on Fiber in late game you can always go to the dangerous mines, some of the forest-themed levels have fiber. But you'll need to fight for that fiber ooops.
If you're going to grind the mines for fiber late game you're probably better off resetting floor 81 of regular mines. My impression is that the fiber spawn rate is significantly higher there (although I haven't really paid attention to the spawn rate in dangerous mines) and anyways I'd much rather deal with the enemies on floor 81 than the forest enemies in the dangerous mines.

(Also just to be clear the original post is talking about crafting and then selling tea saplings for 500g each, not planting them. Although planting them can also be fun.)

Lew Zealand

Helper
Sounds like a lot of work when you could be fishing instead :P But then I'm not the right person to ask, because I've only ever made 1 piece of the fiber recipe for Perfection purposes.
I definitely agree that it's more work than Fishing, but Fiber returns about 10x the g so IMO it's worth it. And this is coming from a Lazy Farmer. Twice or 3x the effort for 10x the g in early game does not specifically violate the Excessively Casual and Ill-Defined Scribblings of Lazy Misconduct, but there were quite a bit of committee shenanigans involved in the Tea Sapling's acceptance. Most involved divulging secret outdoor couch placements behind unobtrusive bushes for emergency siestas.

Again this is early game and generally by Winter Y1 for most casual players, other things start to make similar or more g for less effort. But I can simply buy more Backpack/Tool/House etc. upgrades a lot more quickly by abusing the Tea Sapling. It works fabulously well for me, perhaps not for everyone.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
If you're going to grind the mines for fiber late game you're probably better off resetting floor 81 of regular mines. My impression is that the fiber spawn rate is significantly higher there (although I haven't really paid attention to the spawn rate in dangerous mines) and anyways I'd much rather deal with the enemies on floor 81 than the forest enemies in the dangerous mines.

(Also just to be clear the original post is talking about crafting and then selling tea saplings for 500g each, not planting them. Although planting them can also be fun.)
I agree, if you have descended to the lower levels of the Mines, it really seems that there are more Weed spawns down there. And to reiterate Elenna101's point, this is all about crafting and selling Tea Saplings for lotsa g, not planting and harvesting their leaves.

Farrow

Sodbuster
Inconsistent, yes, but for some it's more engaging. Just saying as a person who likes fishing and mining equally.

My god your name is the cutest thing i've ever seen on this forum.
That is completely fair and understandable, I don't care for fishing but I like the tea sappling method cause it's passive for the most part so I can do anything else I'd like to do, so I don't have to change my plans for anything so I can do anything I need to and gain extra money it's just a win win for me