Suggestions for Luau Potluck?

Miss Berry

Farmhand
I’ve recently started a new server and I’m having difficulty with the potluck that I don’t remember having in my previous server. I added an iridium quality herring and the governor said it was disgusting. I summoned the power of Yoba and turned off the game to restart that day XD. But then I added a gold quality red pepper and I thought that was a safe bet, but then the governor said the soup was nothing special.

Any suggestions? The fate of the soup determines my friendship with the whole town’s people—which makes me wonder, why is it just ME who must make or break the soup? There’s almost thirty people in town! C’mom Pierre, where’s those “high quality produce” you’re always boasting about? 🤨

But for reals, please help 😭

MogBeoulve

Farmer
What the governor likes best (which no one will tell you in-game) is a high quality vegetable that restores a lot of health and stamina. I try to save a gold quality cauliflower from spring. That gets me great results. My next best suggestion is gold quality kale, also saved from spring - he likes it, just not as much.

Elenna101

Farmer
It's based on quality, base sell price, and edibility, I believe. So herring and hot peppers aren't good because the base sell price is low.

The wiki has a full list of what items give what responses here. In the first year the easiest items to get for the best response are gold quality cauliflower, gold quality sturgeon, or gold quality super cucumber.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Mmmmm.... keeping that gold Cauliflower around just leering at me for a whole season just rankles me. Lookin' all self-satisfied knowing it's never gonna be sold or processed into Caulipickles. Waiting for its hot tub party on the beach with all it's long-lost meat and veg pen pals. No way, I process and sell that overgrown albino meristem bouquet and the best the Gov can hope for is a silver quality Grape. Or a Leek, Grapes are pretty and purple.

withswords

Greenhorn
High rated cauliflower is one of the cheaper options for the best response but unless you saved some specifically for the luau you're best off using a gold or higher large milk which sells for the same price at base level!

Tom

Farmer
Apparently the governor also likes to relax. I like to throw a poppy in. Does it get the best response? No idea, but everyone seems pretty happy.
:grin: Strangely, this made me realize that Penny may not like spirits, but she does have a thing for poppies. Hmm. Makes me wonder.

And is that why I never marry anybody but Penny? Due to my religious culture, I don't like spirits either. But there was that one time when I ate hundreds of morning glory seeds and hatched an ancient indian legend and some interesting journal scribbles.

I tend to throw whatever is gold quality in my luau (me saying this like I'm a seasoned stardew valley player when I've only done about 2 luaus) but the stardew valley wiki page has a whole chart for getting the best luau response. Here's the link. Although you, like me, may prefer the forum (I'm new but I already love this).

Lew Zealand

Helper
I tend to throw whatever is gold quality in my luau ...
That's pretty much what I do every time. I have a general idea of what the better things for the Luau soup are but as long as it's gold star, reasonably valuable but I don't reeeeeeally need it, in it goes to the soup!

I'm there to talk to everyone and enjoy the breeze, not make some fair-weather psuedo wizard-fashion Mr. Potato Head out-of-town real estate prospector who's clearly already eaten 7 or 8 full Luau soups from neighboring towns happy and full when everyone else is cool with a decent gold parsnip. Or purple lettuce. Kinda like Lucky Charms! Y'know, whatever works.