Solved Steam: Stardew Valley crashes on launch.

Lew Zealand

Helper
As long as you're playing unmodded SDV, you can try installing the Compatibility mode version of the game. I'm currently using as similar a Mac to yours as possible though I get my SDV from GOG.com so it should be working. Frankly, I've swapped between versions of SDV testing to see what works enough times that I don't even know which version (Compatibility or not) I'm currently using. I'll have a look for the instructions here...

Edit:

In your Steam library, right-click Stardew Valley and select Properties... > Betas > then "compatibility" under the dropdown.

Jarorix123

Greenhorn
Thank you for the help, but compatability mode doesn't work either. I found something about copypasting,

"
sudo chown -v “$robert” ~/.config
"

,but this did not work either.

lisadacheese

Newcomer
I have the same problem and don't know how to do the copy and paste thing :cry:
Hi, I don't know if you still have this problem, but on mac, you can hit command space and type in terminal to access terminal, and then copy and paste
sudo chown -v “$(your username)” ~/.config in there
If it doesn't work, try deleting the quotation marks or the dollar sign, deleting the dollar sign and quotations is what worked for me
https://www.stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-troubleshooting-guide/ is a better explanation

beepbeep

Greenhorn
Hi, does anyone have a solution for mac if none of these things work? I've tried every terminal copy and paste thing I can manage, and it's still not working! Would uninstalling/redownloading mods do it? I need explaining to like a 5 year old because I just have NO idea :cry:

Also - it kept telling me the username was illegal. How do I know when it's right?