Solved Stardew Valley taking awhile to start + freezing when it did.

m0th_hours

Newcomer
I just bought the game from Steam around an hour ago, and noticed it wouldn't load as fast as my other games. (i.e. Slime Rancher, Terraria) So I just thought, "Oh, its a new game! Probably needs to load some pretty big files." A few minutes passed, and nothing popped up. So I closed the application, reloaded it, ran as administrator, checked file integrity, and nothing would fix the issue. I made sure to read the troubleshooting thread in the Steam Disscussions. Still, nothing. Even downloaded the xnafx40_redist file and repaired it.

So, when it finally did load (Around 10-15 mins), I tried to load a new file. But whenever I would try to pick a color, shirt, or skin the game would freeze for a good seconds before moving on to whatever I had selected. I could get it through the opening cutscene (After a vigorating 45 minutes...) Before it just froze right when I was supposed to load into the farm.

-Notes: I have the game for switch, I just bought it for PC because I use the computer more. The switch never had this issue for me. I just want to play a relaxing game! D:
-I'm willing to post imgur links/pngs of the game files window/any files needed to be looked at.

Computer Details (Copy and pasted from Steam, as I'm not that computer hardware knowledgable):

CPU Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Operating System Version: Windows 10 (64 bit)
Video Card:
Driver: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Driver Version: 10.18.10.4303
DirectX Driver Version: 10.18.10.4303
Driver Date: 10 8 2015

RAM: 16270 MB

Thank you, and I hope this can be troubleshooted :)

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi m0th_hours and Welcome to the Forums!

Some people with Intel integrated graphics (iGPU) of a similar age to your computer have reported similar problems and I've confirmed those on an earlier version of your computer, though I don't have the exact same model year to test directly.

However you can update to the most current drivers for your iGPU (yours seem out of date based on the version number), which may help. Honestly, I doubt it will, but it's the most important thing to try first. Here's the download page from Intel:

Seeing as you're using Windows 10 64-bit, the top link is the one you want. Download and install, restart your PC and try Stardew Valley again. Hopefully this works!