Creator Response Some quick questions on game rules

cherlin

Greenhorn
Hello! My friend and I were playing the SDV board game on tabletop sim today after a long break without touching the game (we won... somehow!) and there were a few things we were unsure of.

1. If you get the mutant carp card and you sell it does it still count towards grandpa's legendary fish goal?
Yep! According to the rulebook: "The 'Catch Legendary Fish' Goal only requires you catch them, not keep them."
2. In the community center crafts room we had the construction bundle. Does fiber count towards this since it also has a little hammer icon on it?
Indeed Fiber can be donated towards that bundle.
3. Who gets the epic item card the museum rewards if it applies to both players?
If you mean the card applies to both players, I don't think it would matter who holds it. You can always give another player the epic item card during the planning phase (unless it says it can't be traded). (just learned that epic item cards don't count towards item slots!)
4. This one may be a little bit obvious, but can you continue to reuse the gift ability of a friend if you happen to get another season card in their birthday season that has the gift icon?
The gift ability of villagers actually isn't connected to when their birthday season is. The birthday season is just used when determining how many hearts you receive when first drawing that villager from the deck. When you have a season card that shows the gift icon, you can use any of your villager friends' gift abilities, even if you've used that same one before.
5. When is it appropriate to discard any fiber/wood/stone that I don't need? (In which phase?)
I believe this can be done during the "season phase", only if the shipping bin icon appears. During the "planning phase", you can also give resources to other players if they would have a use for them. And if you have a full inventory, you can always discard a resource to make space when you gain a new one.
6. When can I use an item in my inventory that doesn't specify when?
If it doesn't specify a time, I believe you could use it at any point during your turn.
7. Can you trade item cards that you've earned with other players?
Yep! You can trade (or give) other players resources or item cards during the "planning phase", after resolving the season card, but before anyone starts their actions on the board.
8. For the catalogue item card, if I were to throw away wood that I didn't need do I still receive another item card?
Yes, for every wood discarded you gain an item.
9. Where do I store an event card that I have to keep? In my item slots? What if they're full?
Since Event cards (as well as Epic Item cards) do not count towards your item slots, I usually put them to the right of my character's board.
10. With an item card like the wine which says to discard to choose any player's befriended villager to give you a gift, when can you use it? Can you use it during the season phase or does it have to be used during the action phase?

11. If you get the lost book that gives the starting player a random mining upgrade and that player is not a miner, can they still get the upgrade? And is this referring to a profession upgrade?

Yes and yes!

This is all I can think of right now, I'm sure I've had more questions before but I've forgotten them...thank you in advance :heart:

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
Just answering the ones I know, hopefully someone else can cover the rest!
1. If you get the mutant carp card and you sell it does it still count towards grandpa's legendary fish goal?
Yep! According to the rulebook: "The 'Catch Legendary Fish' Goal only requires you catch them, not keep them."
3. Who gets the epic item card the museum rewards if it applies to both players?
If you mean the card applies to both players, I don't think it would matter who holds it. You can always give another player the epic item card during the planning phase (unless it says it can't be traded).
4. This one may be a little bit obvious, but can you continue to reuse the gift ability of a friend if you happen to get another season card in their birthday season that has the gift icon?
The gift ability of villagers actually isn't connected to when their birthday season is. The birthday season is just used when determining how many hearts you receive when first drawing that villager from the deck. When you have a season card that shows the gift icon, you can use any of your villager friends' gift abilities, even if you've used that same one before.
5. When is it appropriate to discard any fiber/wood/stone that I don't need? (In which phase?)
I believe this can be done during the "season phase", only if the shipping bin icon appears. During the "planning phase", you can also give resources to other players if they would have a use for them. And if you have a full inventory, you can always discard a resource to make space when you gain a new one.
6. When can I use an item in my inventory that doesn't specify when?
If it doesn't specify a time, I believe you could use it at any point during your turn.
7. Can you trade item cards that you've earned with other players?
Yep! You can trade (or give) other players resources or item cards during the "planning phase", after resolving the season card, but before anyone starts their actions on the board.
11. If you get the lost book that gives the starting player a random mining upgrade and that player is not a miner, can they still get the upgrade? And is this referring to a profession upgrade?
Yes and yes!

DJModulo

Sodbuster
I believe I can answer three of the remaining questions, leaving only 10) open.

2) Indeed Fiber can be donated towards that bundle.

8) Yes, for every wood discarded you gain an item.

9) Since Event cards (as well as Epic Item cards) do not count towards your item slots, I usually put them to the right of my character's board.

I'd love to hear the answer for 10), my instinct would be that you can use and discard items during your planning and action phases, but not the Season phase (I might be wrong on the last part though)

cherlin

Greenhorn
Woah, I had no idea! Thank you so much for the clarification! This would've saved me so many games :smile:

And if you have a full inventory, you can always discard a resource to make space when you gain a new one.
So this means that while my inventory is full if I get more items I can always choose to discard (not sell) whatever in order to make space?

SallyElsa

Newcomer
So during the planning phase, when "trading" items with other players, do you have to have an item to trade or can someone just give you an item you need? (Same thing with the Shed, do you need to trade an item to take out items, or can you just take them out durinf the planning phase?)
Thank you!

kailomonkey

Tiller
So during the planning phase, when "trading" items with other players, do you have to have an item to trade or can someone just give you an item you need? (Same thing with the Shed, do you need to trade an item to take out items, or can you just take them out durinf the planning phase?)
Thank you!
I believe trading in the planning phase is done freely and does not require any one-to-one trading ratio. Same would apply to the shed and chest. Think of it as part of the planning is why it's in the planning phase; you are just organising who has what ready for the turn ahead.

My own question here. It has been clarified above that the mutant fish can be sold and still count for granpa's legendary fish goal, which I already assumed. But since the fish comes from a card pull, are we certain that it counts as a 'catch' ? Thanks.

Last edited:

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
My own question here. It has been clarified above that the mutant fish can be sold and still count for granpa's legendary fish goal, which I already assumed. But since the fish comes from a card pull, are we certain that it counts as a 'catch' ? Thanks.
It does count as "catching". Any way to obtain a fish (from an event or villager gift even) counts as you having caught the fish. I should maybe have said "collect" instead. Hope this helps!

kailomonkey

Tiller
Thank you for the confirmation; 'caught' and 'catch' sounds better as it's a thematic game. One of those words on the mutant fish card could make it easier perhaps.

I have another question that a forum search didn't confirm. It's not in the rules but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned and heard from others as a rule noted here, that you can donate to the museum in either slot on a row. Is this correct? Or is it only allowed if the one is full? Or is it not correct and only a house rule? Thanks

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
So artifacts and minerals must go into the slot in the museum that matches their letter. For the ones marked "?" those can go into any slot.

kailomonkey

Tiller
Was sure this was an official rule only added via the forums. I guess it was one youtube video playthrough I should have not believed :P Thanks