Issue SMAPI bug/error when trying to load co-op mode

Chara265

Greenhorn
As of a few days ago, my Stardew started having issues with co-op mode. I can load into my solo game just fine, but when my friend hosts our co-op world, I just get a black screen and can't do anything other than open and close my inventory. I've tried updating mods, removing different mods that I thought might be the problem from viewing other threads (i.e. a replacement xmb horse file), and nothing seems to work. I'm trying to find out if there's anything I can do before just deleting and reinstalling literally everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreeate

Rancher
As of a few days ago, my Stardew started having issues with co-op mode. I can load into my solo game just fine, but when my friend hosts our co-op world, I just get a black screen and can't do anything other than open and close my inventory. I've tried updating mods, removing different mods that I thought might be the problem from viewing other threads (i.e. a replacement xmb horse file), and nothing seems to work. I'm trying to find out if there's anything I can do before just deleting and reinstalling literally everything.

Hi,

Please verify your game files and then try again. If the issue persists, please upload a new SMAPI log and we can try to pinpoint the issue.

Kreeate

Rancher
Thank you for the updated log.

Disable/Uninstall the Custom Companions mod and then re-install Stardew Valley Expanded.

Try to make sure your friend has the same mods and versions as you currently have.
Perhaps ask them to make a zipped archive of their mods folder and then send it to you via dropbox or google drive.
You can then replace your mods folder with theirs and see if the issue is still there.
Remember to make a backup of your existing mods folder if you want to revert back to it later.

Chara265

Greenhorn
Thank you for the updated log.

Disable/Uninstall the Custom Companions mod and then re-install Stardew Valley Expanded.

Try to make sure your friend has the same mods and versions as you currently have.
Perhaps ask them to make a zipped archive of their mods folder and then send it to you via dropbox or google drive.
You can then replace your mods folder with theirs and see if the issue is still there.
Remember to make a backup of your existing mods folder if you want to revert back to it later.
Okay, so we synced up our mods, deleted custom companions, and redownloaded expanded. The errors have reduced, but the problem still persists.

Kreeate

Rancher
Okay, so we synced up our mods, deleted custom companions, and redownloaded expanded. The errors have reduced, but the problem still persists.
Mmm... could be some corruption with the save file. Has your friend also verified their game files?

Content Patcher is reporting two issues:

Related to Stardew Valley Expanded
20:50:57WARNContent PatcherCan't apply image patch "Stardew Valley Expanded > EditImage LooseSprites/AquariumFish #3" to LooseSprites/AquariumFish: the FromFile file 'Assets/TileSheets/SVE_AquariumFish_SpriteSpring.png' doesn't exist.

Related to a missing character named "Nona"
20:51:06ERRORContent PatcherThis mod failed in the GameLoop.DayStarted event. Technical details: SContentLoadException: Error loading "Characters/Nona": it isn't in the Content folder and no mod provided it.

@MysticTempest any idea about this one?

Chara265

Greenhorn
Mmm... could be some corruption with the save file. Has your friend also verified their game files?

Content Patcher is reporting two issues:

Related to Stardew Valley Expanded
20:50:57WARNContent PatcherCan't apply image patch "Stardew Valley Expanded > EditImage LooseSprites/AquariumFish #3" to LooseSprites/AquariumFish: the FromFile file 'Assets/TileSheets/SVE_AquariumFish_SpriteSpring.png' doesn't exist.

Related to a missing character named "Nona"
20:51:06ERRORContent PatcherThis mod failed in the GameLoop.DayStarted event. Technical details: SContentLoadException: Error loading "Characters/Nona": it isn't in the Content folder and no mod provided it.

@MysticTempest any idea about this one?
I'm not sure about the fish one, but I know the Nona one - it's my friend's child. Any idea how can we fix that one?

Kreeate

Rancher
I'm not sure about the fish one, but I know the Nona one - it's my friend's child. Any idea how can we fix that one?
You could delete the NPC reference from the save file. Feel free to upload the save folder here and then someone can have a look at that.

Besides the errors Kreeate brought up. There's also a few more SDV expanded errors.

Code:
20:50:58     TRACE     Content Patcher     Stardew Valley Expanded edited Data/animationDescriptions.
20:50:58     TRACE     SMAPI     Content Patcher edited Data/animationDescriptions.
20:50:58     ERROR     game     An error occurred in the base update loop: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at StardewValley.NPC.reallyDoAnimationAtEndOfScheduleRoute() in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\NPC.cs:line 4308
   at StardewValley.NPC.update(GameTime time, GameLocation location) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\NPC.cs:line 2921
   at StardewValley.GameLocation.updateCharacters(GameTime time) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\GameLocation.cs:line 3507
   at StardewValley.GameLocation.updateEvenIfFarmerIsntHere(GameTime time, Boolean ignoreWasUpdatedFlush) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\GameLocation.cs:line 3538
   at StardewValley.Locations.FarmHouse.updateEvenIfFarmerIsntHere(GameTime time, Boolean ignoreWasUpdatedFlush) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\FarmHouse.cs:line 826
   at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateLocations(GameTime time) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 6427
   at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4844
   at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3949
   at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate) in SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 1003

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

20:51:07     TRACE     SMAPI     Content Patcher loaded asset 'Characters/Dialogue/Susan'.
20:51:07     TRACE     Content Patcher     Stardew Valley Expanded edited Characters/Dialogue/Susan.
20:51:07     TRACE     SMAPI     Content Patcher edited Characters/Dialogue/Susan.
20:51:07     ERROR     game     An error occurred in the base update loop: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at StardewValley.NPC.reallyDoAnimationAtEndOfScheduleRoute() in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\NPC.cs:line 4308
   at StardewValley.NPC.update(GameTime time, GameLocation location) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\NPC.cs:line 2921
   at StardewValley.GameLocation.updateCharacters(GameTime time) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\GameLocation.cs:line 3507
   at StardewValley.GameLocation.updateEvenIfFarmerIsntHere(GameTime time, Boolean ignoreWasUpdatedFlush) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\GameLocation.cs:line 3538
   at StardewValley.Locations.FarmHouse.updateEvenIfFarmerIsntHere(GameTime time, Boolean ignoreWasUpdatedFlush) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\FarmHouse.cs:line 826
   at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateLocations(GameTime time) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 6427
   at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4844
   at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3949
   at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate) in SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 1003
==========================================

But, you mentioned "but when my friend hosts our co-op world, I just get a black screen and can't do anything other than open and close my inventory."
Can you have them post a SMAPI log as well?

There could be a mod, or a connection issue on their side.

Seefks

Greenhorn
Besides the errors Kreeate brought up. There's also a few more SDV expanded errors.

Code:
20:50:58     TRACE     Content Patcher     Stardew Valley Expanded edited Data/animationDescriptions.
20:50:58     TRACE     SMAPI     Content Patcher edited Data/animationDescriptions.
20:50:58     ERROR     game     An error occurred in the base update loop: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

20:51:07     TRACE     SMAPI     Content Patcher loaded asset 'Characters/Dialogue/Susan'.
20:51:07     TRACE     Content Patcher     Stardew Valley Expanded edited Characters/Dialogue/Susan.
20:51:07     TRACE     SMAPI     Content Patcher edited Characters/Dialogue/Susan.
20:51:07     ERROR     game     An error occurred in the base update loop: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
==========================================

But, you mentioned "but when my friend hosts our co-op world, I just get a black screen and can't do anything other than open and close my inventory."
Can you have them post a SMAPI log as well?

There could be a mod, or a connection issue on their side.
I ran my own SMAPI log! Here it is!

I ran my own SMAPI log! Here it is!

Thanks! One thing that stands out in your log; which was already touched upon by Kreeate is the child, "Nona".
You're using a mod called:

11:18:30INFOSMAPI NPC The Farmer's Children 2.0.3-beta by xiddav | for Content Patcher | An Child To NPC mod made by Xiddav. Was NPC Child for SVE.
11:18:30INFOSMAPI NPC The Farmer's Children 2.0.3-beta by xiddav | for Content Patcher | A Child To NPC mod. The Art Part! Was NPC Child for SVE.

Xiddav mentions on their mod page that it doesn't work in multiplayer. Now, I'm not sure if that would cause the black screen for Chara265.
But, I'd recommend trying a new multiplayer save; just to see if the rest of the mods; "pre-children" work for Chara265.

If it does; we may need to edit the save as Kreeate mentioned, & disable those 2 mods above.

How to find the save; if needed. Then zip it up & upload it here:

Seefks

Greenhorn
Sorry for the such late reply! Lots of hubbub around the holidays.

We tried a new save and it worked perfectly fine! So it looks like the save file will need edited. I have included it down below as requested! I'll get on disabling the mods for when we play multiplayer together again!

Attachments

Sorry for the such late reply! Lots of hubbub around the holidays.

We tried a new save and it worked perfectly fine! So it looks like the save file will need edited. I have included it down below as requested! I'll get on disabling the mods for when we play multiplayer together again!
No worries! And, that's good to hear. So hopefully it is just the "Child to NPC" mod.

Findings:
And, thanks for the save. I took a quick look.
I had to remove a couple of SDV Expanded NPCs to test the save on my side.
But, it looks like there's no permanent changes to the children; when using the "Child to NPC" mod.

I tested co-op by launching 2 instances of an unmodded SDV; using a separate copy of your save. And, then played as both your characters; it seemed to load & save fine.

Resolution:
So, once you disable the "Child to NPC" mod for multiplayer. That should resolve the issue for y'all. And, y'all can continue from your original save.
Though feel free to return with a new log; if there's still issues.

Though, @Chara265; I'd double check "SDV Expanded" is fully installed. Since, my earlier comment showed a couple errors relating to an NPC named Susan from that mod.

Side notes:
I'm including your save; with the SDV Expanded NPCs removed. So, it can load into a vanilla, umodded StardewValley.
Mostly as a backup test.

Attachments

Seefks

Greenhorn
No worries! And, that's good to hear. So hopefully it is just the "Child to NPC" mod.

Findings:
And, thanks for the save. I took a quick look.
I had to remove a couple of SDV Expanded NPCs to test the save on my side.
But, it looks like there's no permanent changes to the children; when using the "Child to NPC" mod.

I tested co-op by launching 2 instances of an unmodded SDV; using a separate copy of your save. And, then played as both your characters; it seemed to load & save fine.

Resolution:
So, once you disable the "Child to NPC" mod for multiplayer. That should resolve the issue for y'all. And, y'all can continue from your original save.
Though feel free to return with a new log; if there's still issues.

Though, @Chara265; I'd double check "SDV Expanded" is fully installed. Since, my earlier comment showed a couple errors relating to an NPC named Susan from that mod.

Side notes:
I'm including your save; with the SDV Expanded NPCs removed. So, it can load into a vanilla, umodded StardewValley.
Mostly as a backup test.
Thank you so so much for your help! It means a lot!