Windows Journal Scraps Bug (Solution)

TastyFish

Greenhorn
I've been struggling with not being able to find Journal Scrap #10 or #11 and it seems to be an issue a few other people are struggling with, but there didn't seem to be a certain fix beyond reloading the game, which did not work for me on PC. I'd tried carpet bombing the caves, fishing in the gormounds pond and everything else suggested here and on reddit. So I decided to be a bit reckless!

I have managed to edit my save file to convince the game I'd already seen the Journal scrap #10!

If you too are at your wits end, you can try this, but Be Careful!!! This is your save file and it will destroy your save if you're not careful. Please make a backup copy first (I copied the whole file to desktop, just to be sure!)

1. Find your save file! If you use stardew predictor or checkup, it's that file you want. Save a backup NOW!
Mine was in: C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\Saves\FARMNAME_NUMBERS

2. Find the full save file named with your farmer's name (or farm name) and an ID number (e.g. Fred_148093307)

3. Open the file with Notepad and search (Ctrl+F) for "secretnote"

4. This should bring you to the secret notes you have found <secretNotesSeen>.
If you move through these with your arrow keys you will see all the secret notes (numbered 1-25) in the order you found them. After those will be the Journal Scraps, labelled Secret notes 1001 etc.

5. At the end of the list, just before </secretNotesSeen>, you will need to add your missing note(s).
For example, I added Journal scrap 10, so I added the code <int>1010</int>

Add any of the Journal scrap codes you need (In order as the game makes you collect them in order, so it seems safest) from the list below:

JS1: <int>1001</int>
JS2: <int>1002</int>
JS3: <int>1004</int>
JS4: <int>1004</int>
JS5: <int>1005</int>
JS6: <int>1006</int>
JS7: <int>1007</int>
JS8: <int>1008</int>
JS9: <int>1009</int>
JS10: <int>1010</int>
JS11: <int>1011</int>

Your code should end up looking something like this (red is what I added):
<secretNotesSeen><int>8</int><int>17</int><int>21</int><int>18</int><int>2</int><int>24</int><int>5</int><int>15</int><int>14</int><int>3</int><int>25</int><int>4</int><int>9</int><int>19</int><int>16</int><int>23</int><int>20</int><int>11</int><int>1</int><int>12</int><int>22</int><int>6</int><int>7</int><int>13</int><int>10</int><int>1001</int><int>1002</int><int>1003</int><int>1004</int><int>1005</int><int>1006</int><int>1007</int><int>1008</int><int>1009</int><int>1010</int></secretNotesSeen>

6. Save this file and start the game as normal!

7. Check the notes tab in the collections tab on the menu. The missing scrap should have appeared!

I did check and the Ostrich egg and Golden Walnut was where the note said it would be, so it does work like it should! :iristar:

This will only work on PC, sorry console friends! It may work on Mac and Linux, but I have no experience there so I can't say for sure.

:stardrop:Good Luck :clover: I hope this will help someone!

Last edited: