Is using exploits cheating? make me feel better about it or worse

LuckyParsnip

Greenhorn
Just out of curiousity, have you done the Prismatic Slime quest yet?
Nope. I only just started playing again after months of not playing and it looks like this is more of a late-game quest? As a chronic restart-er, the furthest I've really gone with the game is meeting Sandy.

Chaya7

Planter
I'm famous for having just about the worst luck of just about anyone. So I suppose I'm not surprised that I'm halfway through winter of year 3 and I still can't find a single amphibian fossil. Not only that, I'm almost to level 300 in the Skull Cavern and I've still only found 4 prismatic shards, total, despite clearing the floors with bombs. (I had to fight my way to level 100 using just a lava katana sword). And the prismatic slime quest? Nada. I've never seen a single one, ever.

It's pretty sad, really. Now I'm in my usual spot: spending the entire freaking winter scanning every square inch of both the forest and the mountains, finding only an occasional yam or root - or fishing and fishing and finding one single treasure chest with some bait in it. (This is on a lucky day, having a Special Charm and having eaten a Lucky Lunch on top of that).

I even used the artifact drop rate mod and increased the chances dramatically. Nothing. Just roots and yams - if that.

This is important to me because I need another stardrop, which is important to me because I want to do Qi's quests, and so on and so on.

Winter is supposed to be a great season when you can spend whole days doing what you really need to do: completing quests, going to the island or desert; fighting monsters. But I'm stuck at home, day after day, finding nothing but yams and roots (if that). So I'm finally at the point where, once again, the game has become so frustrating to me that I'm bored with it. This game that I once loved has become an irritant.

So I'll probably quit.

So yeah, you bet if there were an exploit for this I would take it.

LRangerR

Local Legend
That sounds like hilariously bad luck. I would love to play you just to watch your bad luck in action, but odds are the second I (or anyone else joins your server) the bad luck would instantly go away, lol.

Chaya7

Planter
That sounds like hilariously bad luck. I would love to play you just to watch your bad luck in action, but odds are the second I (or anyone else joins your server) the bad luck would instantly go away, lol.
Actually, I thought I should let you know that I found your comment to be arrogant and high-handed. You appear to be mocking me. Open to correction if you feel that I have misjudged you.

imnvs

Local Legend
Actually, I thought I should let you know that I found your comment to be arrogant and high-handed. You appear to be mocking me. Open to correction if you feel that I have misjudged you.
He was agreeing that you seem to have tremendously bad luck, and that it would be poetically ironic for someone to play with you and not see the bad luck you seem to have in single player.

He wasn't attacking or belittling you, I can be pretty certain. @LRangerR isn't the sort to do that.

Last edited:

Chaya7

Planter
He was agreeing that you seem to have tremendously bad luck, and that it would be poetically ironic for someone to play with you and not see the bad luck you seem to have in single player.

He wasn't attacking or belittling you, I can be pretty certain. LRangerR isn't the sort to do that.
Yes, it certainly would be poetically ironic. Thanks for your reply.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I'm sorry you feel that way, but to be quite honest, if i ever am being purposefully mean to someone they'll know it for sure with out a doubt. If you can't tell or are wondering if i'm being mean or not, odds are i'm not.
He wasn't attacking or belittling you, I can be pretty certain. @LRangerR isn't the sort to do that.
I mean, I don't really have any reason to be mean to him right now. It really wouldn't make sense at all to attack him out of the blue. I'm not the kind of person to be mean to someone without a very good reason.

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
Sry for doublepost.

I was actually thinking about this earlier.

People who use cheats (not all cheats, i'm generalizing here), especially godmode cheats, generally do it because they want power, and control over their game. They're tired of dying or whatever, and they just want that power to be able to do what they want without a thousand bats swarming them when they least expect it. Cool, whatever. However, I find it very ironic that when you use godmode-type cheats (and a few other types), you actually become WORSE at the game, rather than better. Your skill diminishes and your game knowledge debatably diminishes as well. So as a result of their skill and knowledge diminishing, their overall game-power level lowers as well, resulting in the exact opposite effect of they wanted long-term. I mean sure, they get what they want, but that's just instant gratification, and it also lowers the overall long-term enjoyment of the game as well.

I guess it's also kinda like how I've always said that smartphones make you dumb.

Chaya7

Planter
I'm sorry you feel that way, but to be quite honest, if i ever am being purposefully mean to someone they'll know it for sure with out a doubt. If you can't tell or are wondering if i'm being mean or not, odds are i'm not.

I mean, I don't really have any reason to be mean to him right now. It really wouldn't make sense at all to attack him out of the blue. I'm not the kind of person to be mean to someone without a very good reason.
Thank you LRangerR. I was raised with mockery, and that sounded exactly like it. I'm more sensitive than usual lately, too - probably because of the state of the country right now. I apologize. (And btw, I'm not a "he").

Chaya7

Planter
I have 3 words for you: Treasure hunter tackle.
So yeah. Following your advice, I waited for the highest luck-day possible, ate a Lucky Lunch, and took a treasure hunter bobber with me. I got all of two treasure chests. One had 1 bait, and the other 10 bait.

It's just not worth it anymore.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Thank you LRangerR. I was raised with mockery, and that sounded exactly like it. I'm more sensitive than usual lately, too - probably because of the state of the country right now. I apologize. (And btw, I'm not a "he").
It's okay dude, I know things are tough right now. (btw, thanks for letting me know (yes, i call women dude too sometimes))

So yeah. Following your advice, I waited for the highest luck-day possible, ate a Lucky Lunch, and took a treasure hunter bobber with me. I got all of two treasure chests. One had 1 bait, and the other 10 bait.

It's just not worth it anymore.
That's seriously weird.

Elenna101

Farmer
I even used the artifact drop rate mod and increased the chances dramatically. Nothing. Just roots and yams - if that.
This is probably more on the exploit-y side but you did ask for exploits. (Also I don't know how the artifact drop rate mod affects any of this.)

If you dig up an artifact spot and then reset the day, the contents of that spot don't change, but if you sleep to the next day they will change. So what you can do is this:
- First thing in the morning, ride around the entire map and check every artifact spot. Make a note of any spots that contain anything you want.
- Reset the day. Now you can spend the day doing anything you want - just don't dig up any artifact spots unless you've determined that they contain what you want.
- Sleep to the next day. Most of the artifact spots will still be there, but they will contain different stuff than the day before. (Well, you could randomly get yam or whatever in an artifact spot two days in a row, but the point is it gets rerolled.)
- Rinse and repeat.

This unfortunately doesn't increase your chances of getting artifacts in any particular instance, but it will greatly increase the number of chances you get, since you can use one artifact spot multiple times this way. Plus this way you're not spending any in-game time.

The faster but arguably more exploity way to do the same thing is to download this predictor app, which will tell you (among other things) what's in your artifact spots.
Note that I'm calling it an app and not a mod (even though it's on NexusMods) because it doesn't actually affect your game in any way, it doesn't change the save file or the code or anything. It's not a mod for the same reason the Stardew Predictor and Stardew Checkup websites aren't mods. Is it cheating? YMMV.

Credit to @Bla_De for creating the predictor app.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Haha, welcome to my world. My wife used to scoff. She now tells people I have the worst luck of anyone she's ever met. :grin:

So obviously I'm happier when a game allows me to get ahead mostly by skill... :smug:
I used to play a dice game with some guy who literally would roll more 1s than i've ever seen. He swore he was possessed by a dice gremlin, lol.