Is using exploits cheating? make me feel better about it or worse

imnvs

Local Legend
Your barn and coop animals will not trample your crops.

You don't need to keep your animals fenced in, but it helps to make sure they aren't too far from their home building when night hits, so that they can all get inside in a timely manner and that you can close up (in order to make petting them the next day easier).

Drullo321

Sodbuster
Gimme long answer lol
It all depends on the situation. I wouldn't put exploiting in the same category like cheating. Exploiting is like bending the game to your liking via playing the game in a way it wasn't designed but usually with methods available for anyone. Easiest example would be using item codes in names (character, childs, animal) or using typos like wrong buy/sell prices (e.g. ducks, cookout kit, recently fixed in 1.5.2).
Cheating on the other hand often correspond with additional external tools or mods to modify the game. A modding example would be CJBItemSpawner, which lets you, as the name suggests, spawn any item in any quality and quantity to your inventory. Other example would be hacks or "trainers" to alter game states.
Using either exploits or cheats in a singleplayer game isn't wrong in any kind. Play the game like you want but be warned, it may ruin your game experience. However don't lie to someone about achievements, awards, etc. or pretend playing an unmodified game when you used cheats or exploits in any way. In a similar way cheating or exploiting in any form of multiplayer game, where it isn't cleary allowed (example would be Minecraft 2b2t anarchy server) is bad because you ruin other peoples game experience.

Sythsis

Cowpoke
I'm trying to get to the stardew valley wiki but its blocked unfortunely ): stupid school. anyways When i get home and I want to research its blocked anyone know a good alternative website?

LRangerR

Local Legend
I wouldn't put exploiting in the same category like cheating.
I wouldn't put them in the same category either, but imo they're both just different kinds of cheating. I don't think selling the cookout kit would be considered an exploit though.

Drullo321

Sodbuster
Then what was the reason to patch the mushroom cavern exploit when seeling cookout kits pre 1.5.2 earns alot more cash?

LRangerR

Local Legend
My advice is to upgrade their homes as much as you can, so you won't even need to feed them every day, because it is very tiring
And place animals somewhere where you can build a fence and put the grass inside
Technically the entire farm map is in one big fence.

Slypenslyde

Greenhorn
You do you. Other peoples' opinions shouldn't matter. It's a single player game and you aren't hurting anyone if you skip a part that isn't fun for you.

To me, the only "problem" is when I do something that makes me want to stop playing faster. For example, duping enough stuff to make millions in the first week. I think the fun part of the game is when I don't have an awful lot of resources. Once I have a lot of money, I usually get bored. So that kind of exploit makes the game less fun for me and I don't want to do it. (Though I suppose if I just got the itch to make a super-well-decorated farm I might.)

ISSsloth

Farmer
If you were duping a chest full of prismatic shards to get a load of money I'd say that yes, it is wrong. But under the circumstances, I'd say it's acceptable.

LuckyParsnip

Greenhorn
It's obviously cheating but when you come to a point where the game starts to feel annoying rather than "challenging", just do whatever the heck you want. This isn't competitive play. No one will berate your for using exploits but yourself. I only started playing around with "god mode" cheats after 200 hours of vanilla gameplay. Even after 200 hours, I only play the game at a casual pace and it made me realize that I'm missing out on a lot of things lmao