Ice Fishing tournament probability

Margarita

Greenhorn
Hey, so I've recently hit my first winter and got to participate in ice fishing tournament. However, i was really disappointed. It wasn't about my skill.
I searched "ice fishing" and "fishing tournament" but didnt find any post so if im multiplying them im sorry

1. You start in between two unused holes, not aiming at any of them. And at a range that's not close to max range.
2. I even saw the NPCs score a fish in 0.0001s of the tournament starting while i had to move to even begin fishing.
3. My first 5 throws ended up grabbing sea weeds and trash. Then on another try it was like 3 times. And as we know even if you throw your rod line at MAX range it's random wether you hit jackpot fast or only moderately fast.

That means that even if I'm better at fishing than Willy i can't really prove it every winter. And someone can point out a fair argument - well fish aren't always gonna grab my hook, there is some luck involved in fishing. But my counter argument is that SV is a game, it's supposed to be designed so i feel good. And if I'm gonna need to press ALT+F4 and repeat my morning routine in order to >even catch more than 2 fish in 2 minutes< one more time I'm definetely not gonna feel good.

So my feedback is: if i could change something about the tournament it would be reduce probability of getting trash and algae and instead give us more diversity in kinds of fish so the patterns of fishing are the trouble, not getting lucky fishing an actual fish.

imnvs

Local Legend
Honestly, as a player I'm skilled at fishing. I have caught every fish multiple times over, even the legendary fish and the next generation of legendary fish too.

That said, it is not my favorite part of the game. I neglect it quite a bit. I barely fish enough to get the fish I need for the Community Center early on. I can still smack Willy silly at the ice fishing contest almost every year.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Welcome to the Forums, Margarita!

I support this suggestion!

I've smashed Willy almost every time I've attended, but the most recent time gave me a grand total of 3 fish (I usually get 6-8). This felt really wrong, because I didn't even have a chance. And if I was a new player and that happened on the first attempt, I don't think I'd try again.

I also find it a little disappointing that the two fishing "challenges" (the other is at the SDV Fair) are filled with the least challenging fish in the game.

So I'd totally be up for less trash and harder fish!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Honestly I think it adds a bit of realism to it, it’s a festival you can’t always win and skill doesn’t have everything to do with it.

the festivals Are already super easy and I’d advocate having something like this for more of them.