Windows [HELP] The game won't launch I don't know what else to do

uraviity98

Newcomer
I haven't been able to open SV in a long time. I have done it before so I know my computer can run it and other games run fine, every other game I have installed runs except SV.
When I launch it from steam, the play button just says 'running' for a few seconds and then goes back to play and the game doesn't open, same when I try to directly open the game from the .exe file, even as administrator.

I've tried already checking integrity, reinstalling, putting the game and steam itself on my allow list on my antivirus and tried turning it off completely and even uninstalling altogether, nothing.
I tried repairing the xnafx40_redist file. I even reinstalled steam itself multiple updates later and still nothing.
There was no folder to delete when I searched %appdata%/stardewvalley (I forgot the name of the one I was supposed to delete) but there was no such folder, although the error log folder only shows a file with NullPlayer_#'s I tried finding the fix for this but nothing worked, which is most of the solutions I already mentioned.
I guess my last resort is reinstalling my OS but at this point I don't think it'll be worth it. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!

Thank you!

Last edited:

jamie123rty

Newcomer
I would try and install smapi. It should at least give you a bit of a better idea of what the problem is. And might even give you an error log.

MineRaft47

Tiller
I had a problem like this and spent hours trying to fix it, but updating windows fixed the problem, altough it was a fairly specific problem (it was missing a file called "SDL2.dll") and it was the physical pc edition from fangamer, so try updating windows maybe?