Windows [HELP] Stardew Valley is Crashing After Launch

OwlSound

Greenhorn
I have been experiencing a horrible bug for some time now, and it is making me very frustrated. I have bought my copy of Stardew Valley on steam around the time of when covid hit to keep myself entertained, and at the time, my Stardew Valley worked, and all was good. Recently, i've been watching a whole lot of Stardew content on Youtube, and I thought to myself that I might return back to the game after a whole year gap of not playing it. Upon returning to the game, I found that it took at least 5-10 minutes for the game to launch, and upon pressing any button, the game would enter a loading screen and then immediately crash.

Over the past couple days, I have tried everything, and nothing works. I need help....

List of everything I tried:
- Unplugging and re-plugging my headphones
- Re-installing XNA framework
- Check file integrity
- Delete start up preferences folder
- Update the game to the last update (1.5.6)
- Uninstalling and re-installing the game

Things that may be useful to know:
- I use steam
- I am on Windows 10
- I am open to going onto a call on discord and sharing my screen if you would like to help me there (OwlSound#6294)

I thank you for taking your time to read this post and for your consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizzion

Tiller
Things that may be useful to know:
- I use steam
- I am on Windows 10
- I am open to going onto a call on discord and sharing my screen if you would like to help me there (OwlSound#6294)

I thank you for taking your time to read this post and for your consideration.
Have you tried legacy mode yet? With the latest update, the game switched to monogame which seems to be having problems for random people. You can activate legacy mode by doing the following

On Steam: In your library, right-click Stardew Valley and select Properties... > Betas > then "compatibility" under the dropdown. On GOG: From the game's page, click the settings icon > Manage installation > Configure... > then "compatibility" under the Beta channels dropdown.
That seems to help people the most.

Shane.dj1

Newcomer
Have you tried legacy mode yet? With the latest update, the game switched to monogame which seems to be having problems for random people. You can activate legacy mode by doing the following

That seems to help people the most.
Hi Mizzion

My daughter is having problems after an update. She cannot go any furthur after the most recent update and this box will not disappear

Can you help in anyway please?

We downloaded the game off Microsoft store, not steam.

Kind Regards

Shane

Attachments

Mizzion

Tiller
Sorry, I've never played the microsoft store version. So I have no idea how to even select the beta branches. Hopefully someone comes by who uses it and can help you out.